• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bad habits sneaking back in...

phatmomma

I really need a right good telling off from you all!

Bad habits are sneaking back in! Just the odd rich tea when getting home from work whilst walking past the cupboard to put the kettle on or to keep me going till dinner time?

Until tonight on the way home from fetching my stepdaughter (an 80 mile round trip) when we stopped for a coffee and i had a forest fruit muffin for my dinner (well it was only 99p with a regular hot drink)... I know i shouldn't have done it, it's so flipping hard knowing i won't dump...

I don't want to be doing this, i want someone to tell me how wrong i am. Pre op i was so self righteous about people 'treating' themselves and yet here i am doing the same....

hey julie im gonna tell you some advice ou ve gieven other peeps, and that your only human sweets and should be able to enjoy a treat... BUT if its something that has more control over you than what you do over it, its time to stand back and say 'hang on a minute' i will not allow myself to be controlled by food anymore, can you have dried fruits? would u snack on these?... that way they can always be kept your bag......sorry its not much help.... xxxx

julie, stop beating yourself up huni, 80 miles is a long wayto travel specially on a friday, and sometimes youmight need a little pick me up, ok so you could have picked something else, but, even thin ppl, and ppl on sw and ww have treats, so we can have them too. enjoy it for what it was, a little treat, that isnt the end of the world. pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start over again. sometimes our body does tell us what we need, and maybe you just needed that today. its gone now. and you can get backon track. big hugs xx

Mate - your not on a diet...so I wouldnt worry too much...if your asking for an ass kicking, then clearly your thinking what your doing is rubbish...so dont mate - go back to basics, protein first, meals and protein based snacks...but treats are cool...so long as they are a treat and not all day everyday!
You are not o a diet and you will have to live with this for the rest of your life...its a long slog not to treat yourself...so dont beat yourself up...just go fo rthe protein first...if your still snacky - have a snacky! And eat meals! x

Hi Julie,

I'm really hoping to still be able to have an odd biscuit and a cake occasionally... or life wouldn't be worth living...

For sure, you are top of the tree at knowing what to have first and I'm sure you are eating your quota of protein etc... plus enough vitamins and everything else...

You work all day, you have a family, driving burns calories and energy... you still are entitled to live a little without a fear of impending guilt...

As long as you are doing the vitamin, mineral, food guidance... good luck to you if you can enjoy an odd biscuit... you are clearly losing and looking brilliant... so don't beat yourself up... if you feel you are reaching too often in the biscuit tin then that is the time to say... STOP.

It's good that you are so honest, because I know I will be just the same....

Always at your side... love and hugs xxx

Last edited:
Thanks all, Fridays are a hard day for me having to do the run for my stepdaughter, teatime is always bad...

I try and have my protein first with all meals. I just need to plan ahead and perhaps take some ryvita and cooked meat or cheese which i can eat while i drive. I can probably have something cooked for my lunch whilst at work....

I'm just scared i guess of the 'treat' to become a everyday thing and then a more than once a day everyday thing.....

I guess also the fact that i have decided not to weigh every week isn't helping much. I really don't want to go on the scales in case it's another 'flat' week of no loss, but on the same note i want to get on and see if i'm under the 18stone barrier (last weigh in was 18st 1lb). I so want to get under 16st 3lb which was my last lightest weight ever...

I will now stop hitting myself over the head with a big stick xx

good, youll only get headache if you keep hitting yourself with a big stick. good idea to take something with you, that way you keep your blood sugars stable, and wont be tempted, save your treats for when you can really enjoy them and have them planned into your day. your doing really well hun, i dont lose quick either, but at least its coming off. hugs x

julie i hope you enjoyed you muffin....least you opted for the fruit one and not the chocolate one, hehe! on a more serious note, theres nothing wrong with 1 mufin every friday! call it your treat! you deserve it with all the weight you have dropped - youve wroked hard, good on ya!
if the buiscits are prooving difficult to stay away from every day then just dont buy them hun, i dont buy biccies in or crisp - because i know if there in the cudboard im going to eat them - every time i walk past that cudboard they would shout my name untill i finally give in! so if there not there i cant miss them!
dont beat yourself up hun, like sum1 else said..... dust yourself off and get back to the hard work! you do look amazing julie and photos dont lie! well done on your weight loss so far xxxx

Julie even 'normal' people have the odd treat or 'unhealthy' food choice. I guess what is really the issue is this: can you keep it under control as an 'odd treat' or will it become a regular habit which would sabotage your weight loss?

I'm with Keeley here: get rid of the biscuits if that's becoming a daily ritual. Instead go for a snack cheese or bit of cooked meat?
I know that's not half as interesting but it will boost your protein and break the habit?
But don't beat yourself up either. You're not on a diet!
and sending hugs too. xxxxxx

It's about time you stopped feeling guilty about food and giving yourself a hard time. You have made some hard decisions already to have the op and changed your life around, do want to feel guilty about food for the rest of your life? Put that feeling behind you, just think everything in moderation. You can have treats, and i bet you don't eat 1/4 of what you used to eat, so stop beating yourself up about it. You are obviously aware of the dangers, so let that be enough. Just enjoy getting thinner and have a good life - you have everyones support on here.

I agree with every one else here, Julie. BUT - you know you owe it to yourself to make the most of your window of opportunity.
You are worth more than the muffin and rich tea!

Don't hit yourself with any sticks, but don't let yourself step back onto that road. We've come too far for that.

(Sorry if this seems harsh - I just want the best for you)

Hugs
Gill
x

I agree with Keeley too... knock the rich teas on the head & allow yourself that muffin as yr weekly treat?

It must be hard, I can only imagine being at the start of my journey, especially with not dumping! You've done so well Julie don't give up on yourself... your worth this journey. xx

Thanks for all the advice, but thank you most of all Gill. You said just what i need to hear. I am in my optimum window of opportunity and i don't want to risk my weight loss for the sake of a muffin, which to be honest after the first couple of bites was nothing mouth tinglingly wonderful....

I will have to put some nuts or something in the car i can nibble on whilst on my Friday/Sunday stepdaughter fetching/returning trip, although Sundays aren't usually an issue as i've had my dinner then :)

Love and many thanks for reminding me i'm not on a diet but when i am going to have a treat it really should be an occasional treat that i really really want to enjoy, not just food to fill a gap! xx

Hi Julie, When its the long trip on a Friday could you not eat a bigger lunch or eat little more often so you not as tempted? you are doing so well and i wouldnt go off other peoples wl i used to do that at WW and it used to make me cheat as i felt the diet was cheating me??? daft i know.
Go at your own pace we didnt gain this weight overnite and an odd treat must be allowed so long as that is all it is and not added into our daily food etc.
keep up your good work hun you can do it!! xx

Jayne, i can't eat a bigger lunch, i eat to restriction as it is. I think a snack in the car (protein rich) is the way to go! See i could try and have some tea before i go but that would mean eating at 4 and then i'd have the nibbles around 9 in the evening.... Nuts it is :) xx

it isnt easy is it. i think sometimes we are not really hungry just want a treat like we did when we were kids lol. When you reaching for them rich tea biccies think of all us looking thru ur window shaking our heads!! now thats frightening enough to leave em alone lol

We are human and we cant change overnight, I know if I had rich tea in the house, I would not be able to pass them by.

I still treat myself like I am a compulsive eater, especially with trigger foods, ie rich tea and crisps. The other day I bought a 24 pack of crisps for the grand children, in the old days they would have to be hidden as I would of eaten all 24, they werent so I succumbed to 2 packets in one night, so had to tell OH to hide them.

It will take a while to be perfect, but at least we can keep trying. Perhaps there are a few trigger foods that you shouldnt have around til your are further down the line.

Anyway I thought you were entitled to the tea and cake after that journey.

You will do this Julie, I know you will, so allow yourself a tiny bit of leeway.

as a st richards (shaw somers/guy slater) patient and, if you believe the hype, lucky enough to be treated by the gold standard in bariatric surgery, please note there is NOTHING wrong with rich tea biscuits - light or original.in fact they appeared on the immediate post op bypass morning and afternoon snack menu selections in hospital on day two!
i did notice on here someone being berated a few weeks ago for eating rich tea bix as their snack and i would again say there is nothing wrong with having one...even one a day... as long as you exercise self control and don't finish the packet!

as for being on the road, i have to do a LOT of travelling every week as my daughter plays premiership football and 3 days a week we are doing at least 200 miles a day and i too have had problems finding something bypass friendly on the go. in the end i found that buying little sticks of cheddar from the service stations hit the mark, that and/or a hot milk or cafe latte.
this is my experience and as we are all told different things by different hospitals, may not be the same as anyone elses

I think the saying "everything in moderation" is correct in this instance. I think as long as you are having a little bit here and there you should be ok. I thought the whole point of a bypass was to be able to eat more normally, Im sure an odd biscuit here and there is normal? I think so anyway :D X

Back