• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bad habits sneaking back in...

Thanks for all the advice, but thank you most of all Gill. You said just what i need to hear. I am in my optimum window of opportunity and i don't want to risk my weight loss for the sake of a muffin, which to be honest after the first couple of bites was nothing mouth tinglingly wonderful....

I will have to put some nuts or something in the car i can nibble on whilst on my Friday/Sunday stepdaughter fetching/returning trip, although Sundays aren't usually an issue as i've had my dinner then :)

Love and many thanks for reminding me i'm not on a diet but when i am going to have a treat it really should be an occasional treat that i really really want to enjoy, not just food to fill a gap! xx

Agreed! and so sorry for not being as brave as Gill, because it's what I wanted to say! I'll be bolder in future! LOL! Hugs and love Julie. xxx

I think you need to focus less on what the type of food is that you had as a treat, and more on the reason behind you eating it. If it is an occasional treat and you can eat it without guilt then go for it. But if it's a reward because you feel deprived, or a way of you subconsciously trying to rebel against your bypass, or anger at the bypass because it hasn't made you dump, then maybe you need to chuck the rich tea out for a while whilst you make the most of the window of opportunity.
Also, I might be completely barking up the wrong tree here, but when I hide from the scales (which it sounds like you might be doing), it's because I don't want to stick to the diet and I mistakenly convince myself that ignorance is bliss. A weekly weigh in would help you stay on track after all.

Having said that, I am a pious pre opper who doesn't know what it's like to have to stick to the post op diet.

Yorkie i've not hidden from the scales (this is said with a smiley face voice btw) i've weighed in weekly and been very down on myself for staying the same, and this is not because i've eaten wrong choices i guess it's just i'm more blessed than others (grrrr). A very good friend of mine, an experienced bypasser told me that she weighed every 6 weeks, this was done on her doctors advice. Every six weeks she went and saw an overall loss, no depressing stay the sames or even as in one week of my weigh in a 1lb gain!

If i hadn't had my surgery i wouldn't go near scales at all, i don't want to be dependant on the 'once a week' hit of happiness at having lost weight or the glumness of jumping on the scales after a good week to find they haven't moved. My body has changed so much even though i have only lost 41lb (yes some have lost lots more than me and i do compare a little but not as much as i did) but my focus is on the health changes now and not the scales....

The rich tea are all gone and will not be replaced, and when i get chance to do a 'proper' shop i will be getting a good supply of nuts/rice cakes in for my snacks...

Little post op pickers may not wear bigger knickers, but with the regain of bad habits they won't be getting any smaller either will they? xx

Dotty? Be brave girl, you don't have a mean bone in your body and when i asked for a butt kicking i wanted one :) xx

41lbs is fab Julie!! You need to update yr stats too misses so we can all see how fabulous you've done. xx

Ooh heck Linzi, look at me! I thought it did it automatically lol... I'll have a go and thank you my friend for putting it out xx

Julie you are doing really well. At least you have recognised for yourself where you have made a bad choice food wise and have done something about it.

tranquil

I know Tranquil and as i said earlier it wasn't even that yummy... I'm sure i could have found something with a bit of protein in that i would have enjoyed more :) xx

If you have a long journey to do it may be worth investing in one of those little lunch cool bags and putting in baby bel cheese and other little protein goodies you can nibble on to keep you going. Someone posted about never going out without some baby bel in your bag and I think it's a great idea.

tranquil

If you have a long journey to do it may be worth investing in one of those little lunch cool bags and putting in baby bel cheese and other little protein goodies you can nibble on to keep you going. Someone posted about never going out without some baby bel in your bag and I think it's a great idea.

tranquil

You are right Tranquil. I have decided to take some protein rich snacks that will get me through the journey. It's not that the ride is so big (37 miles each way), it's the fact its at the end of a 6 1/2 working day for me and it can sometimes drag as the M6 is awful on a Friday - you know that yourself :)

Preperation is the name of the game i think xx

Julie I just wanted to say that 41 pounds is a huge weight loss!
To put it into perspective: it's almost 3 stones isn't it?
Well that's the MOST I EVER lost on a diet, and that took me almost a year with loads of motivation!
I sometimes think that because we've had bypass surgery we expect the pounds to just 'go' over night...

Certainly for the first few weeks that was how I felt. But now I've decided to enjoy my journey. I try to record every little triumph, however small, because having previously been very, very, very poorly with M.E, and then had a sudden healing (I really do have to write about that in my diary! LOL) I know how easy it is to forget just how BAD things were.

But I know from reading your posts Julie, that you're having a new lease of life since your surgery, and isn't that really what this experience is all about?
I just want to encourage you honey, because I find you such a tremendous encouragement. Hugs. xxxx

Aww thank you Charis....

I'm thankful for every one of those little lbs and i never want to have them returned to me... As my title says the road is long, but together we will get there! Every day gives us something new to celebrate xx

ps, 41lb is exactly a third of what i want to lose, you'll see on my stats i have 82 to go :) xx

ps, 41lb is exactly a third of what i want to lose, you'll see on my stats i have 82 to go :) xx

Way to Go girl!!!!!!!!!!! that puts it into perpsective eh?!

You're dong flipping brilliant!

I am going to be a bit stricter then anybody else, and hope that you will understand and forgive me.

But the question is - how OFTEN do you treat yourself? Is it one muffin a week or is it one muffin a day + few biscuits + a chocolate here and there?

If it is ONE treat a week - it is fine. Don't beat yourself up.

If it is something more ( and you have to be honest to yourself. It is not about us, it is about you!) - the pull yourself together girl!! I know how easy it is to slip into bad eating habits.... Do you want to do that? What good does a muffin makes to you? It is sugar and fat and your body doesn't need it!

I it is importaint to treat yourself - but, treat yourself in other ways! Evry time you want to buy a food treat - put that money aside and buy something nice to yourself, like a lipstic or anythign you like. Get something what will make you feel good not just for a few moments while the food is in your mouth, and when you had it you feel miserable about yourself. Treat yourself with something which makes you feel good from inside and outside!

You have done amazingly! You go girl! :hug99:

Wombat you are very right and i appreciate your honesty. The muffin was a one off, normally me n himself would go into Starbucks and i'd have a quarter of his skinny muffin and really enjoy it, this one was not skinny in any way and after the first mouthful i can honestly say i got no buzz from it whatsoever....

I am worried the treat for a biscuit or whatever naughty could take my life over again and so am trying to reign it in. I don't suppose it helps we're feeling the crunch and so i've not 'treated' myself as much as i would like to have done. Why is crap so cheap?

I am taking control and looking forward to payday to go get some healthy but nice snacks for when i'm hungry but not hungry enough for a meal! I always wonder what i should be snacking on. I know a few nuts are good and then there is cheese (again) but what about dried fruit etc...

I know i need to stop being so boring foodwise and to really enjoy what i eat, to take my time and savour the flavours also...

Thank you again for your honesty, much appreciated :) xxx

be careful with dried fruit as it can swell. i take mine (dried apricots) chopped up really small and cooked in the porridge i'm making. they swell back during the cooking process so with a good 'chew chew chew' you know where you are and no painful surprises

:hug99:

I know what you mean... I have been avoiding crap stuff because I know I am that kind of person - all or nothing type. And I know that if I have a biscuit and won't dump I'll have it again and again and again... I am a food addict and like with any addiction one is never enought for me :( I wish I could just have a slice of cake and tell myself that is. But I can't. I hope that one day I will be in that place.

About snacking - I don't do snacks. 5 small meals a day and that is it.
When I am very peckish and have to have a snack ( I am trying my best to resist) - I have a slice of ham, peace of cheese or prawns! Prawns are really good for us. Practically no fat and no carbs and LOTS of protein.
Also, frozen grapes!!! They are lush! And ice lollies.
Also salad.. ( I know it sounds boring, but i just have salad leaves... As I am not really hungry and just like a cow need to chew on something that is ok for me).
Try making juicy ice cubes (i mix NAD squash and water and freeze it in the ice cube trays).
I also discovered Weight Watchers youghurt!!! It is YUMMY! And the most it has 50kcal per pot! And they have even cheesecake flavour!.
Cucumber with hummus or any low fat dressing/spread...

Another thing what helps me is making my food look good. I don't just pile it on the plate, I arrange it so it looks pretty. I don't know why, but it always tastes better that way! :D

Good tips Wombat, i'm going to take a lot of that on board! I love prawns and will be buying a big bag and being careful to only remove enough for each day's use...

Time to get jiggy with it!

I eat a couple of rich tea biscuits every day, don't hurt me and definately don't affect my weight loss. Look at it this way, having a few biscuits and the odd treat is NORMAL, eating a whole pack and stuffing our face ain't and thats what I used to do before my op - you ????

Back