• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BANDERS UNITE ! Get to know each other chatter !

Happy New Yr everyone.

*think* I've asked this question before ... but I'll ask again as I suffer with memory loss: how do you know when you're full?

Also how do you know when you're at your sweetspot? I just don't think I am.

Thank you in advance.

i knew i was full because i felt heavy in my stomach very uncomfortable if i went past this and one to many nibbles and i would hurl but once i listened to my bodys signals i realised the full point
i think sweetspots might be an individual thing as to how tight you want to be some like to be able to eat most foods in smaller amounts i like to be as tight as poss at mine i couldnt tolerate alot of fruit or veg i know alot of peeps dont like that degree of tightness but it worked best for me

Hi CC

As I have never been sick from food post band, I know Im full when I get a tight feeling on my left hand side just below by boob - lol so I dont eat beyond that point.

To me 'sweet spot' would be eating 3 small low fat, high protein meals with fruit and veg - limited carbs, feeling full and losing weight steadily.

HTH x

Thanks! I think I need my band tightened then ... I've been grazing for weeks and can eat a normal portion. Hhmmmm.... I'll call the nurse tomorrow. I just do not feel full.

I used to get a 'pulling' sensation on my left hand side but I rarely have it these days. I'll up my protein and veg's in meals and see how I get on.. I can always cancel the band tightening.

I'm a bit reluctant with the band tightening thing in as much as I get restriction before my TOTM then during TOTM I loosen right up ... so I am scared of being over restricted and having the band slip on me on the lead up to TOTM .. if you know what I mean?

i knew i was full because i felt heavy in my stomach very uncomfortable if i went past this and one to many nibbles and i would hurl but once i listened to my bodys signals i realised the full point
i think sweetspots might be an individual thing as to how tight you want to be some like to be able to eat most foods in smaller amounts i like to be as tight as poss at mine i couldnt tolerate alot of fruit or veg i know alot of peeps dont like that degree of tightness but it worked best for me

THANKS! I used to feel full ... but lately I don't. I wonder if it's the foods I eat (as well as the time in the month I'm at sometimes I'm restricted other times I am not).

Hey - glad to see you have returned. Happy New Year CC!

Hey - glad to see you have returned. Happy New Year CC!

Hiya. Was thinking about you the other day. Don't you look skinny fabbo!! - I'm trying not to be jealous!! :eek:

How was Hua Hin????????? :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :cool:

I'm in and out like a .......................

hokey-kokey dance. ;)

Ha Ha - holiday was great and I feel fab. Just watching my georgeous surgeon on Channel 4 . . omg he is lush!! How are you?

Ha Ha - holiday was great and I feel fab. Just watching my georgeous surgeon on Channel 4 . . omg he is lush!! How are you?

Shaw Somers is a very lush man. Lots of this kind of thing in the press right now. :( Did you (or anyone else) read the spread in News of the World magazine on Sunday? It was about a failed gastric band op.

Nope didnt see it but there is an unhappy wls patient story in take a break too - not sure if she is a bypasser? Its been advertised on the tv lots!?

How am I?

Well I'm a little ..... blah.

Sprained/pulled my back on Sunday so I've not been for my mental medicine i.e. gym. I'm eating more than I should - so my band is clearly not tight enough.
I'm losing very slowly and I think that is purely attributed to exercise. My eating is a bit sh*t and at times naughty ... (can't get motivated when I'm not at the gym). I've gained 3Ibs.

I feel as if I'm coming down with yet another cold .... which I know going to the gym would help fend off.

The best manager I ever had died two weeks ago from cancer; I only found out yesterday night when his wife called. This pains me more because I missed his call about 6 weeks ago on my mobile phone. I tried in vain to call him back but couldn't get hold of him ...... I didn't know he was dying - he must've though. I am so heartbroken I didn't speak to him. I've been crying on and off since yesterday evening. I selfishly burst into tears on the phone to his wife which I feel really awful about.

Apart from that I'm Ok! (not meant sarcastically)

Thanks for asking :hug99:

The Ugly Truth About Gastric Bands

images

They've been hailed as the ultimate quick fix to BEAT THE BULGE with some celebs swearing by them, but gastric bands can wreck your life, says Lindsey Chisholm, 35

Summary:

Lindsey was 5'5 and wore a size 26.
Couldnt' afford to pay for a band in the UK so went to Belgium and did it for £2500. "the surgeon told me that after my a band had been fitted my stomach would be half the size .... I was looking forward to my new diet of fish salad and vegetables" ....

She reckons that she had stomach pain after her op (which given it was under general anaesthetic is normal!!!) and had hoped her stomach would be smaller but "No - it was actually bigger owing to the swelling from surgery"

She lost 2St following the surgery due to being unable to eat, but her initial happiness was thwarted because her appetite came back! (shock horror!!) Then she had to go into Edinburgh to have fills at £120, but apparently the price she paid "psychologically was worse" - apparently she was over tight so she was vomiting and couldn't eat. She was sad because she missed out on social occassions. So she had the band removed and joined Slimming World at 19St .. since the "easy option" was now no longer available to her. After a few stones weight loss she started exercising and lost 6St with SW.

Then there is a fact file stating 5 need-to-know facts about the gastric band:

1. According to an unnamed NHS spokes person the band effectively turns the stomach into an hour glass shape

2. rate of re-operations (due to leakage or slippage) is up to 30% in the first yr and 10-15% there after

3. 1/2000 operations ends in death. Side effects include vomiting, hernia, dizziness

4. Most patients lose 5-6 stones in 2 yrs, but some plateau and regain weight within a few years

5. Patients may suffer social and psychological problems due to the fact they are unable to enjoy eating a big meal.

They also list a few scare/gossip stories about celebs who've had bands:
Fern Britton - Not admitting per personal business to the nation on This Morning.
Anne Diamond - Band fitted in Belguim with was then refitted in UK due to initial bad experience in Belgium
Sharon Osborne - Band removed so she could eat more

How am I?

Well I'm a little ..... blah.

Sprained/pulled my back on Sunday so I've not been for my mental medicine i.e. gym. I'm eating more than I should - so my band is clearly not tight enough.
I'm losing very slowly and I think that is purely attributed to exercise. My eating is a bit sh*t and at times naughty ... (can't get motivated when I'm not at the gym). I've gained 3Ibs.

I feel as if I'm coming down with yet another cold .... which I know going to the gym would help fend off.

The best manager I ever had died two weeks ago from cancer; I only found out yesterday night when his wife called. This pains me more because I missed his call about 6 weeks ago on my mobile phone. I tried in vain to call him back but couldn't get hold of him ...... I didn't know he was dying - he must've though. I am so heartbroken I didn't speak to him. I've been crying on and off since yesterday evening. I selfishly burst into tears on the phone to his wife which I feel really awful about.

Apart from that I'm Ok! (not meant sarcastically)

Thanks for asking :hug99:

Also forgot to mention ... my GP referred me back to see my surgeon due recurring abdominal pain. So I'm seeing Mr. Khan in two weeks [on the NHS this time]. I hope I'm OK. :sigh:

Hi, CC it's lovely to see you back on here, I've missed you. I'm sorry to hear you've had a tough time of late, I hope things improve soon.

Thanks for posting the article, in my (humble) opinion she seems ill informed of the process, she should have been told that she'd need fills, and the clinic could had performed a defill (however we don't know the full story). I feel they are just scaremongering, maybe one of our successful banders should write a positive article explaining the facts lol?

Who are the ladies between Sharon and Vanessa, I don't recognise them?

I hope all goes well with Mr Khan, take care xx

Hi, CC it's lovely to see you back on here, I've missed you. I'm sorry to hear you've had a tough time of late, I hope things improve soon.

Thanks for posting the article, in my (humble) opinion she seems ill informed of the process, she should have been told that she'd need fills, and the clinic could had performed a defill (however we don't know the full story). I feel they are just scaremongering, maybe one of our successful banders should write a positive article explaining the facts lol?

Who are the ladies between Sharon and Vanessa, I don't recognise them?

I hope all goes well with Mr Khan, take care xx

I really don't have much to say so I don't post all that much. Plus I've annoyed a few people one here because my prose comes across differently to the way I speak and am in real life - :eek:

Mr. Khan - I hope it goes well. I hope he falls in love with me and becomes my sugar daddy and offers to pay for a gastric sleeve op :D. I'll be in heels and a low cut dress when I see him ;)

RE: the article - a positive spin would be great. However fat bashing is a national sport and it's not good to show people there is a way to lose weight and maintain. No siree! We HAVE to put up with people who have ever had a weight problem (nor nutritional expertise) 'advising' fatties to:
"eat less, exercise more" (funny how the streets aren't awash with normally slim folks - pounding the pavements - nor the gyms rammed by slim people maintaining their slimness.)
"stop over eating"
"get of your lard arse"; or
"stop eating all the pies"

Oh and we have to put up with the celebrities and their DVD's showing us their amazing 28Ib weight loss!!! (2St doesn't sound so 'amazing' when put in pounds! Then they become quack nutritionists giving dietary advice! Oh and their obligatory before and after diets which always consist of pies, mash, chocolate and crisps (before) and fresh fruit, porridge, salad and the classic "steamed fish and vegetables" for dinner (after).

Anyone else always notice the new diet meal is ALWAYS steamed fish and veg when reading the articles? :8855: :8855:

Back