• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BANDERS UNITE ! Get to know each other chatter !

Gastric Bander

Hi My name is Christine. I had my gastric band done nearly 2 years ago and have lost over 5 and half stone almost 6 stone. Mr Horner at Ashford Hospital was my consultant. I'm now trying to have a baby, fingers crossed with the weight loss this will help my chances to conceive.:):)

Hi Christine - Welcome to the forum. Well done on your fantastic weight loss - its always good to hear from banders who have done well! Good luck with the rest of your weight loss - we will be "expecting" good news regarding a baby before too long.

Hope all your dreams come true x

Love Kat x

Hope you lovely banders having a good weekend :D Hope you are having a calm weekend Nina and the kids and hubby are fine...Take care everyone (HUG) XX

Hello Christine..:D good luck with your new journey

Hope your weekend has been good too dottychic ;)

Don't think i've said on here but my surgery day has changed to 28th jan instead of 18th feb. Pre op appointment now 17th jan and i start the pre op diet on thursday..ooer.

Also 1st day of filming tomorrow and i have to say i'm nervous now..not even sending me a limo tut;)!!

Hello Christine..:D good luck with your new journey

Hope your weekend has been good too dottychic ;)

Don't think i've said on here but my surgery day has changed to 28th jan instead of 18th feb. Pre op appointment now 17th jan and i start the pre op diet on thursday..ooer.

Also 1st day of filming tomorrow and i have to say i'm nervous now..not even sending me a limo tut;)!!

Good luck! x :D

It's good to see you again Kelly and CC, hope everyone is doing good today x Hiya to the new bandies

Hi Neen, thinking of you and hoping the weekend has been ok for you and all... glad to see you back Angel... here if you need me.

Love and hugs Always xxx

I am so pleased... there has to be some experienced support out there for you all Angel and keep me posted... thinking of you and you are doing better than I could... look after yourself.

Love you, sending hugs too xxx

Hello all. Well it will be 8 weeks tomorrow since I woke to find myself with a band rather than a bypass. It has taken that long to come to terms with it mentally and emotionally.

Physically some complications developed which may take longer to sort out but with rest and time I hope they will sort themselves out.

I am due back at Walsall Manor on Friday for my first post op appointment. I have no confidence in them whatsoever in terms of any help or guidance they can give for the band as they do mostly bypasses so I am looking for some guidance from you experienced banders on here. I may get my first fill on Friday. I have a 14 ml band which I understand is the biggest. I have no idea really what to feel in terms of restriction. Walsall advise banders to follow the same regime as bypass patients so I did 4 weeks of liquids and am now in the last week of 4 weeks on puree. I have not been particularly adventurous in terms of eating in that if i have a fill I have to go back to 2 weeks of liquid and then 2 weeks of puree again so it will be the third week of February before I will be eating anything like normally - whatever that is.

The question I am trying to ask is - what am I supposed to feel in terms of restriction? I know if I have had too much in that about 20 minutes after I have eaten I get the most excruciating pain just under my left boob. So I am still trying to judge what amount I can eat. I wonder if it is better to have small meals and eat more often rather than 3 times a day? I know we are all different. Mornings are difficult as I cannot face anything too solid so have been having an Actimel to take my meds with and a cup of tea or coffee. I have tried a weetabix with lots of milk a few times but with the waiting half an hour to eat after having liquids and given my inability to wake early (which is something that I have found since the op plus terrible insomnia) by the time I get to it I have gone off the idea. I have been having a protein shake made with the whey protein and skimmed milk which I have found a godsend.

As for weight loss I nearly drove myself to a break down as I acquired 9 pounds during the op which the hospital could not explain and it took weeks and weeks to go so I stopped weighing myself. I will see what I weigh when I go to the appointment on Friday to see what progress there has been. After that what should I be looking for on a weekly basis? To be honest any loss and no constant regain would be good but I know that with the band regain is more likely.

I know I am waffling. I am just looking for some guidance as all my research was on the bypass and not the band so I am trying to get my knowledge up. I have looked a lot on the internet but so much of the information is contradictory it is hard to know what is good guidance from bad!

tranquil

Hello all. Well it will be 8 weeks tomorrow since I woke to find myself with a band rather than a bypass. It has taken that long to come to terms with it mentally and emotionally. Is it that bad really TB? sorry to ask but were you warned that might be the case.

Physically some complications developed which may take longer to sort out but with rest and time I hope they will sort themselves out. I hope that these complications do sort themselves out.

I am due back at Walsall Manor on Friday for my first post op appointment. I have no confidence in them whatsoever in terms of any help or guidance they can give for the band as they do mostly bypasses so I am looking for some guidance from you experienced banders on here. I may get my first fill on Friday. I have a 14 ml band which I understand is the biggest. I think 14 mils is the biggest band yes. They may give you a fill they may not. I got my first 5 months post op, didnt need one before then.

I have no idea really what to feel in terms of restriction. Walsall advise banders to follow the same regime as bypass patients so I did 4 weeks of liquids and am now in the last week of 4 weeks on puree. I have not been particularly adventurous in terms of eating in that if i have a fill I have to go back to 2 weeks of liquid and then 2 weeks of puree again so it will be the third week of February before I will be eating anything like normally - whatever that is. Do you really have to do 2 weeks of both after a fill? usually its 3 days liquid, 3 sloppy then normal food. Mind you at 8 weeks out I had been on normal food for 4 weeks.

The question I am trying to ask is - what am I supposed to feel in terms of restriction? I know if I have had too much in that about 20 minutes after I have eaten I get the most excruciating pain just under my left boob. So I am still trying to judge what amount I can eat. I wonder if it is better to have small meals and eat more often rather than 3 times a day? If you are still on sloppies you may not feel restriction yet. The uncomfortable feeling 20 minutes after could be that you have eaten too much? - not sure sorry!? I 'feel' full on my left hand side where my pouch is but thats whilst eating, it isnt painful and I stop straight away.

What else are you eating in terms of your 3 meals a day?

I know we are all different. Mornings are difficult as I cannot face anything too solid so have been having an Actimel to take my meds with and a cup of tea or coffee. I have tried a weetabix with lots of milk a few times but with the waiting half an hour to eat after having liquids and given my inability to wake early (which is something that I have found since the op plus terrible insomnia) by the time I get to it I have gone off the idea. I have been having a protein shake made with the whey protein and skimmed milk which I have found a godsend.

As for weight loss I nearly drove myself to a break down as I acquired 9 pounds during the op which the hospital could not explain and it took weeks and weeks to go so I stopped weighing myself. I will see what I weigh when I go to the appointment on Friday to see what progress there has been. After that what should I be looking for on a weekly basis? To be honest any loss and no constant regain would be good but I know that with the band regain is more likely. The gain in weight was probably due to the gasses they pump you full of during the op.

Regarding a weekly loss - everyone is different.

Why assume that a regain is more likely?

I know I am waffling. I am just looking for some guidance as all my research was on the bypass and not the band so I am trying to get my knowledge up. I have looked a lot on the internet but so much of the information is contradictory it is hard to know what is good guidance from bad!

tranquil

Hope that helps, I dont know what the reasons for giving you a band were but on this thread we are all banders by choice - trying to support each other. There is no reason why the band wont work for you but I would press the hospital for my dietry advice.

Good luck with your appointment x

Thanks for the response Mazza. No I was not warned about the possibility of a band instead. The only thing they said was if there were difficulties then it would have to be open rather than keyhole. I will hopefully find out more on Friday about just exactly what went wrong.

As for dietary advice, the dietician at Walsall is not the best and as I said the information for bypass and band patients is the same as I have both booklets! Still it is better than what it used to be.

The information on fills is correct as I have checked this. It is bizarre I know. It is almost like starting all over gain.

In terms of what I am eating I have soup at lunch times with a piece of fruit if I can manage it which is not often. Sometimes a yoghurt mid morning. I have tried for my evening meals lately to have something like a chicken breast with vegetables and gravy and that has been fine. I have had fish with mixed peppers baked in the oven once which was lovely, tinned mackrel pureed down which made me feel very full very quickly. I have also had prawns pureed and again that was very filling.

At Christmas I managed a small plate of dinner it was mostly turkey and vegetables and a little bit of mash and that was fine.

I guess it is going to be trial and error and listening to my body and not pushing things. If they do not give me the fill then I will be more adventurous in what I try and eat more solid things - for instance I have yet to try salad apart from the peppers I had with the fish. I keep feeling there is no point in it now if I am back to liquids and then purees again for 4 weeks.

Sorry if I cam accross as very negative about the band because I am not. As you know I had to fight Walsall hard to get the bypass op and having worn myself out in doing so it came as a shock to find out it had not happened. How I first learned of it was terrible but I will not go into it as I am going to raise another formal complaint with the hospital about it.

The issue of regain was something I have come across from my reading up on the net - as I said you do not know how true or not something is that you read!

I know I am not a bander by choice. However it is in me now - further surgery is out of the question and I am going to make it work for me. Like the bypass I know it is a tool and it is down to me. I value the support of you and the other banders. I know from reading the threads on here that it is going to be hard going but I am now ready for it.

tranquil

Reactions: Bev
It sounds like you are doing fine and that you allready have restriction either still from the op or because they put some fluid in the band during the op.

Im sure you will make it work, it doesnt have to be hard going - you can do it!

Keep posting x

Thanks Mazza. They definitely did not put any fluid in during the op as I asked before they discharged me. I had read a thread about it which I remembered so I specifically asked. I suspect the restriction is from the op as my insides got a going over as they tried to do the bypass.

I will discuss with them about whether I should wait a little longer for a fill as I would like to see how things are on more solid food and eat a normal healthy diet. I was never a great bread eater so I have had no inclination to try it. I loved rice but gave that up months before the op as I was doing Atkins to lose some weight before the op and the same goes for pasta.

Thanks for response.

tranquil

Back