• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Barium Contrast and CT scan

Beluca

I am 8 weeks post bypass. I've been suffering with stomach pains and went to see a gastroenterologist yesterday who is sending me for a CT scan tomorrow. I have to go to the hospital 1 hour before the scan and drink 1.5 litres of barium contrast mix. I am really worried about how my little pouch will respond to this and if I am going to be sick.

Has anyone else had this type of scan after having had a bypass?

I had a barium swallow immediately post bypass but that was only a cup of contrast. I've had to drink large amounts of water post op for ultrasounds and managed the quantity, so long as I went with an empty stomach.

Does the consultant know about your surgery? Have you spoken to your bariatric surgeon about the problems and the CT scan?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Yes I have spoken to my consultant. His response was to do a laparoscopy to have a look. I wasn't happy with that as think more surgery should be last resort. Told him I was going to see gastroenterologist. He was really surprised that Bariatric surgeon was so quick to suggest surgery without exploring other less envision methods first to find out what's wrong. So I'm in a bit of a tricky place really. Suffering with pain and need to know what's going on ....

I had a barium contrast too post surgery, I was in a lot of pain and my surgeon just wanted to be sure everything was ok. I'd barely even had water when I had to drink the fluid but it did go down and I wasn't sick, if you are fine on fluids normally you should be fine. You have to gulp but you don't have to drink it down in one go. Just a warning that it does tend to upset your tummy a bit after, I had to go to the loo about 3 times once it was over, just letting you know so that maybe you hang around and use the hospital toilet before leaving. Hope they find out what's causing the pain. Let us know how you get on x

Back