• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BEEN REFUSED WLS !

BlueDiamond

Hi all

I had my first appointment for wls today and I been refused point blank as my BMI is not high enough (37) and even though I have comorbidities (several) and been told today I have a fatty liver as well (which I didnt know) , the dr said and I quote " I usually see ppl twice your size and I wont be referrring you for wls because you need a BMI of over 50 " even though the NICE guidelines are 35-40 with co morbidities , when I asked him about comorbidities and he said "It doesnt come into it because your BMI isnt high enough! So there we have it ..........failed at the first hurdle................I pretty much expected them to say this as I went in thinking I aint gonna get accepted , as anything else would have been a bonus.

Just thought I would let you know how I got on, thanks 2 e1 who offered me support in the past. x x

P.S. sorry meant to add he also said ppl with depression , after wls 75% get more depressed as well ! !

Sorry to hear this Can you not appeal?

So sorry to hear this Blue diamond. Did you tell him that you had already lost 49lbs because surely with that weight on as well it would of taken your BMI higher. Are you going to keep fighting for it? ((hugs))

I am so sorry. I was just chatting on the phone with someone who had the same thing that happened to them. I would definitely appeal.

Sounds like that dr is talking rot. Don't give up, as said before try another hospital if you can.

Hi def ask ur doc to refer you to another hospital. When i had my first meeting i was told that when they apply for funding in my hospital the Whit they go on the initial bmi you were on referral so am wondering of you could use this as ammunition of some kind.
You have done so well in losing this weight it is so not fair they hold it against you, in fact the opposite they should be happy you are trying hard to lose the weight and get healthy for surgery.
Hope you manage to sort this out xxx

Hi all

I had my first appointment for wls today and I been refused point blank as my BMI is not high enough (37) and even though I have comorbidities (several) and been told today I have a fatty liver as well (which I didnt know) , the dr said and I quote " I usually see ppl twice your size and I wont be referrring you for wls because you need a BMI of over 50 " even though the NICE guidelines are 35-40 with co morbidities , when I asked him about comorbidities and he said "It doesnt come into it because your BMI isnt high enough! So there we have it ..........failed at the first hurdle................I pretty much expected them to say this as I went in thinking I aint gonna get accepted , as anything else would have been a bonus.

Just thought I would let you know how I got on, thanks 2 e1 who offered me support in the past. x x

P.S. sorry meant to add he also said ppl with depression , after wls 75% get more depressed as well ! !

hi, Julie I'm so sorry to hear that, but if the doc's doesn't follows the NICE guidelines then what is the use of it? I'm scared now as i've also lost few kilos. I thought about it before and when i asked the GP about if i loose weight now and get the BMI lower than NICE guidelines, will i be eligible for surgery or not, she said offcourse you will be and the doc's will see how hard u r trying to loose weight. I'm really very sorry. is there any other way?
Love
Farzu

NICE guidelines are just that, Guidelines. It is up to specific PCTs to decide what their actual criteria is. I don't mean to sound negative but just don't want to get your hopes up thinking you can use NICE guidelines as a reason for appeal. I do however think that you should use you original BMI as a reason to appeal.

Hi all

I didn't realise you were looking your wls on the NHS, I would have thought they would refuse you, my BMI was 39, I asked my doctor about the gastric band (I didn't ask for it to be done on the NHS) I just wanted advice about it and he said if he were able to give it to me he would but I wouldn't meet the criteria.... BMI would have to be 60+, I said it was fine I was paying for it anyway I just wanted a his perspective on it, turns out im his first patient to ever have it done and he wants to see me this week to see how im getting on with it.
Maybe its different over here but I know I would of had no chance appealing it (didn't apply in the 1st place) but im sure you could always give it a try and hopefully it would work out for you.

Good luck, hope it goes your way x

I didn't realise you were looking your wls on the NHS, I would have thought they would refuse you, my BMI was 39, I asked my doctor about the gastric band (I didn't ask for it to be done on the NHS) I just wanted advice about it and he said if he were able to give it to me he would but I wouldn't meet the criteria.... BMI would have to be 60+, I said it was fine I was paying for it anyway I just wanted a his perspective on it, turns out im his first patient to ever have it done and he wants to see me this week to see how im getting on with it.
Maybe its different over here but I know I would of had no chance appealing it (didn't apply in the 1st place) but im sure you could always give it a try and hopefully it would work out for you.

Good luck, hope it goes your way x

Same for me where I live too Kate.

Sorry you didnt get anywhere with the appointment.

Cant understand why you were referred if you dont meet the criteria for your area - thats just madness.

What are you going to do know? Good luck with whatever route you take x

so sorry to hear your news Julie. Have a think about an appeal before you give up hun. Contact your PCT and ask them exactly what their criteria is.

Agree with Serenity - losing weight before seeing the consultant doesnt seem to be a good idea, unless you are very heavy to start with and have no chance of falling below the BMI guidelines.

Big hugs xx

Back