• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BEEN REFUSED WLS !

im so sorry to hear this julie, but dont back down, fight them for a referal elswhere hun, you deserve to be banded especially with your co morbilities x

liz xx

I'm so sorry to here your news. As so many people on here say appeal appeal appeal.

Julie what a disappointment, I sometimes wonder if it is worth losing too much weight before you have funding, saying that I think you have done amazingly and with co-morbs should qualify, do you have type 2 diabetes??
Good luck with whatever you decide Julie

Jay xx

You must be gutted. Ditto to all of the above - is there any way you can raise the funds to go private? My BMI was 36 when I had my op so I had no hope of NHS...

I could cry for you, am so very very sorry! You have done so well to lose 49lb already.

I hope you can appeal and that it will be successful.

There's no dieting for me now then, have toyed with it but seeing how your commitment to weight loss has just been slapped back in your face i won't rush to do the same....

Sending love and good wishes xxx be strong x

Have you had the decision in writing from the dr or just verbal?
If just verbal write to the dr asking for it in writing and ask for an explanation as to why he is discriminating against you.
As
1. You have manage to loose some weight since you first applied and this shows you are serious

2. You have co morbidities and your bmi falls into the ptc guidelines in your area

3. Your case should be treated for its own merits and him giving examples of other people and there higher bmi is not relevant to you

if you want this then fight I was lucky I and had a back up of being able to remorgage the house and add the 10,500 on to it so I didn’t fight but if you read the copy below of a post I made replying to duckys post yesterday you will see the same thing happened to me but I just accepted

I posted this yesterday in a reply about wigan pct guidelines

[I am from wigan and the pct should be 35 plus co morbids 40 without,

The day after the ptc board meeting I rang for info and the lady sue at the ptc told me on the phone it was bmi 45 with co morbidities and bmi 50 without so I didn’t qualify

So I gave up and booked dr Ammori and had it done 8 days later,

But when my official letter came from the ptc (the day after I had the bypass,)

it still said I wasn’t accepted but stated the 35bmi and 40 bmi like I thought it was (and as mine was 40.2 when I started seeing the weight loss surgeon whilst I looked in to remortgaging I dropped to 38.6 but I did have qualifying comorbids)but hadn’t gone through the dietician part up to that point

I felt frustrated and unwilling to wait forever on nhs funding unless I was defiantly going to qualify and get it later down the line hence I pushed for a pct funding decision early

The woman on the phone gave me the impression I was not eligible because of my bmi being too low and I hadn’t done the 6months with the dietician,

But my letter only listed I hadn’t done the dietician thing as why I was not accepted

so if I were you I would ask in writing the pct board (Bridgeman Terrace wigan )who decide once a month for wigan exactly what the criteria is and what you would be expected to do as I found I knew more than my gp did.

I have lost 10kg so far and am thrilled I didn’t wait because i am now losing and on my way and if I had got that letter before my bypass I would have felt pressured to save our money and wait at least the 6 months and argue my case

but if I had no option but nhs funding I most defiantly would be fighting and sending off letters the day the proper letter came through the post listing why I didn’t qualify as I was entitled as you seam to be .

I'm so so so sorry hun!! I can't believe they have turned you down. I would wait a couple of days, get your head straight and sort out your appeal!! I have seen in other people's posts, when they appealed they wrote a heart-felt letter outlining how their weight affects them on a day-to-day basis. It definitely can't hurt!!

I was going to lose some weight first. It has made me a little nervous to do so!!!

Good luck hun!! We'll all be here for you!!!

xxxxx

Oh I'm really sorry Julie, it seems so unfair that you are effectively being penalised for trying hard with losing weight yourself.

Very best wishes to you x

I'm so sorry to hear your news Julie, My BMI was 38 and I went private because i knew i wouldn't get anywhere with the docs, But don't give up. Hope your ok. Sending you a virtual hug x

Julie I am just catching up with the posts and was shocked to see yours.

Everyone has given you loads of great advice...I just wanted to also repeat, appeal and also a referreral to another hospital...get your GP on side.

This has to be one of the worse catch 22 situations in this journey...You are being penalised for trying to help your situation...add that to your appeal that you thought you would be safer to have this op by reducing your weight.

I don't understand what he meant by pre-existing depression getting worse after WLS...Was he/she a psychiatrist/psychologist?...Depression is not a black and white, in fact it is very multi-faceted and it originates for many reasons and I would imagine (please correct me someone if I am wrong) that the condition could worsen only if the person has suffered from Bulimia and or Anorexia if it had not addressed before hand.

I am so sorry but I do hope that when you have had time to reflect you will fight on.

Keep your chin up hun...it's not the end.

(((hugs)))

Thank you 2 e1 who has replied to this thread, tbh I am not sure if I am going to appeal, I always knew this was a long shot and would probably be refused, like everything else in my life lately I have had to fight for (still on going) and atm I am not sure if I have any fight left, I take on board what e1 has said etc, and looking back now losing all that 4 stone has been my downfall, but I tell you all one thing I aint damn sorry I lost it !!! Its taken me 5 months to even see someone at the weight loss clinic and the dr informed me I will not be seeing him again so its the classic dilemma, Do I carry on or don't I..................I am not due to see my endcrinologist until November so thats another 3 months down the line I have to take into consideration. Thank you for all your comments and I shall keep coming back to minimins as I have made some good friends on here and I still be leaving me sparkly comments and words of wisdom to all those that can benefit from it.

Thanks once again - MeJulie xx

Jul - fight your corner. You meet the NICE criteria so find a way of going over the doctors ridiculous head or ask to have your op at a new bariatric centre.

Sending you hugs with fairy dust to keep you sparkling and be successful with your quest xx

Julie
I can understand why you are tired/ frustrated with all the fighting you are having to do but please please don't give up, we are all here for you and will help you stay strong to keep up your fight. Losing 4 stone is a fantastic acheivement and it is bleep bleep ridiculous that you are being penalised for this. Anything i can do to help please just ask. Sending you a big hug x

I'm so sorry this has happened, I'd be devastated, but thanks very much for posting as it's now making me think twice about trying to lose weight before getting the OK for surgery. I've lost about half a stone in the last month but if I lose much more I'll be a borderline case as BMI was 42 when I got referred but i also have Type 2 Diabetes.

Roch - are you absolutely certain that the Whittington go by your referral BMI? I've just received a copy of the letter they've sent to my GP confirming that I am suitable for Bariatric surgery based on the information supplied.

Blue diamond you have done amazingly well to loose the 4 stone and no you shouldn't regret it at all. Good luck with whatever you decide is best for you but don't forget we are all here for you. Take care.

I'm so sorry this has happened, I'd be devastated, but thanks very much for posting as it's now making me think twice about trying to lose weight before getting the OK for surgery. I've lost about half a stone in the last month but if I lose much more I'll be a borderline case as BMI was 42 when I got referred but i also have Type 2 Diabetes.

Roch - are you absolutely certain that the Whittington go by your referral BMI? I've just received a copy of the letter they've sent to my GP confirming that I am suitable for Bariatric surgery based on the information supplied.

Hi Twiggie, i cant say its 100% but when i was at the info meeting with 2 of the other MM crew, Natalie and Ellen we were all told that they apply for funding on the BMI ur doc referred you with.
Have u got ur first app yet for the Whit if so maybe you could email them and ask them to 100% make sure or poss post on there as there are loads of post op whit patients.
Tbh even though my BMI is off the scale at 59 and was 62.3 when they applied i wont be losing more than maybe a pound a week till i get my funding approved, that might take me down a stone and a bit but then my bmi will still be bout 57/58 but tbh i dont want to take any risks at all and if it meant staying at the weight i am now till i get funding then so be it as i dont want to jeopardise my funding as my pct are know for being difficult.

Pls dont go on what i have told you just in case for some reason ur pct ask for ur weight at the app def make some enquiries just to be sure as u say ur bmi is just over the borderline.
Take care xx

Pls dont go on what i have told you just in case for some reason ur pct ask for ur weight at the app def make some enquiries just to be sure as u say ur bmi is just over the borderline.
Take care xx

Ok, thanks hun. The last thing I want to do is jeopardise the chance of getting surgery as I know even if I do manage to lose a stone or two it will no doubt go back on again at some point, probably over winter when we eat more stodgy food! :rolleyes:

I asked my GP the other day what my PCT are like for funding this sort of surgery and he was very non-committal and sort of hinted that times are tough in this economic climate etc.

However, he did say that if we faced a struggle then he'd push forward the diabetes argument and how surgery would save the NHS money in the long run.

I've got my initial appt at the Whitt in a couple of weeks, the long 3 hour one! Dreading it as I'm not good around other people but if I want this done then I'm going to have to jump a few hurdles and push myself out of my comfort zone!!! Might ask doc for some valium to take with me lmao

Hi Twiggie

Just remember that everyone at that meeting will be in the same position as you - its weird, you all end up like a family who all go through the same journey.

I had my surgery at the Whittington - you are in the best of hands - promise!

Back