• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BEEN REFUSED WLS !

Hi Twiggie

Just remember that everyone at that meeting will be in the same position as you - its weird, you all end up like a family who all go through the same journey.

I had my surgery at the Whittington - you are in the best of hands - promise!

Thanks Caroline, that's very reassuring to know. One of my biggest fears of others is being judged (like most of us I reckon) but as everyone is going to be there for the same reason I guess that won't be an issue :)

PS Sorry Julie, I appear to have hijacked your thread! :eek:

Sorry to hear your news keep on at them though, as your initial bmi would have been higher.

There's no dieting for me now then, have toyed with it but seeing how your commitment to weight loss has just been slapped back in your face i won't rush to do the same....

Surely you meant that as a bit of a joke, eh?

Whatever weight a person who is morbidly obese - sorry to use that term, but that is what the NHS call people of a particular weight - can lose will be great. It will reduce health problems in the meantime while you are waiting for surgery.

Whatever weight a person who is morbidly obese - sorry to use that term, but that is what the NHS call people of a particular weight - can lose will be great. It will reduce health problems in the meantime while you are waiting for surgery.

I think what julie means is until funding is in place and secured she will stay as she is just incase she's tempting fate.

I for one weighed heavier when I went in for my op because I thought after my op it would be a longtime before I could normally and enjoy certain types of food again. And I am glad I did as the first few weeks post op are difficult and it seems that a normal relationship with food is such a long way off. Sorry if this shocks or upsets some people but thts the way the cookie crumbles x x x x

Last edited:

A lot depends on how your WLS team works...they are very aware that people are deliberately maintaining a high weight because fear of strict criteria for funding.

Both my GP, the surgeon and the registrar I saw think this is shame that people have to do this...I'm lucky, funding is sorted out after surgery under the hospital I'm with...So I can lose weight...and I will...prior to surgery just so it will be safer.

Saying that, I definitely support those who have to maintain a higher weight until they get past the point of no return...I understand their fears completely and can not only empathise (because I was not sure about funding in the beginning) but sympathise too. Our weight problems remain the same prior to surgery, that's how we got here in the first place...And whilst I accept that it will still be hard after the WLS, but it will be in the form of getting your head to catch with your body changes.

(((hugs)))

Last edited:
I think what julie means is until funding is in place and secured she will stay as she is just incase she's tempting fate.

I for one weighed heavier when I went in for my op because I thought after my op it would be a longtime before I could normally and enjoy certain types of food again. And I am glad I did as the first few weeks post op are difficult and it seems that a normal relationship with food is such a long way off. Sorry if this shocks or upsets some people but thts the way the cookie crumbles x x x x

Ok, if that is the way some people think, then that is their choice.

I am finding that with every few pounds I am losing my life is becoming easier and less awkward and my diabetes is getting better - the thought of my eyes degenerating, ulcer-prone skin due to high readings etc - is the incentive I need.

Of course there may be a time when I think 's-d it, why not eat what I want and have fun doing so' but my peace of mind whilst on 1800 calories a day, and not depriving myself of what I want to eat, is better than if I were eating Duo Mars and Duo Snickers daily, as well as other stuff that I used to, if I wanted to keep my weight artificially high so I can be granted funding or surgery.

Whilst awaiting funding, or once granted funding and waiting for the op, surely if there is enough determination to lose some weight it should be attempted.

I am aware that that may not be the views of many, but when someone has many stones to lose, even a one or two pound weight loss a week whilst awaiting for funding to be granted, is a good thing.

In the waiting for funding or the operation, not that much weight would be lost, and it does reduce the risks of anaesthetic and post-op recovery.

The doctors are not likely to refuse surgery if, after funding is granted, some weight has been lost. It shows commitment that the patient will be able to restrain from eating the wrong foods. And before funding is granted, well, it is the weight on referral that is the main criteria.

The problem is, people think the operation will do the hard work. Ask any bypass or sleeve patient and they will say that it takes self-restraint and commitment and you can't rely on the op to do all the work. A lot of post-op patients don't lose weight because they can't get over their addiction to food that made them overweight in the first place. And don't forget, not all post-op patients will lose 100% of their excess weight. A percentage of 60% to 80% excess weight loss is considered satisfactory. ie if someone is 20 stone and needs to get to 10 stone, a final weight after bypass of 12 stone to 14 stone will be considered satisfactory, and indded it may be possible physically not to be able to get down to 10 stone.

Last edited:
The problem is, people think the operation will do the hard work. Ask any bypass or sleeve patient and they will say that it takes self-restraint and commitment and you can't rely on the op to do all the work. A lot of post-op patients don't lose weight because they can't get over their addiction to food that made them overweight in the first place. And don't forget, not all post-op patients will lose 100% of their excess weight. A percentage of 60% to 80% excess weight loss is considered satisfactory. ie if someone is 20 stone and needs to get to 10 stone, a final weight after bypass of 12 stone to 14 stone will be considered satisfactory, and indded it may be possible physically not to be able to get down to 10 stone.

I have never and never will think that having the bypass will do the hard work for me. I am and have always admitted to having bad eating habits. I am working hard and have lost over 5 stone since having my bypass back in May. I stuck to the pre op diet religiously and had shrunk my liver enough to have key hole instead of open surgeon. I was up front with my surgeon and have had very few bad food cravings. I have had plenty of times when I would have normally turned to food I haven't I have worked through it. I was over 22 stone when I started my pre op diet and now nearly 16 weeks later I am under 17 stone. I will continue to work hard and exercise to get to my goal weight/size, as I have been given a precious tool to be used well to help me in my weight loss journey.

Ok, if that is the way some people think, then that is their choice.

I am finding that with every few pounds I am losing my life is becoming easier and less awkward and my diabetes is getting better - the thought of my eyes degenerating, ulcer-prone skin due to high readings etc - is the incentive I need.

Of course there may be a time when I think 's-d it, why not eat what I want and have fun doing so' but my peace of mind whilst on 1800 calories a day, and not depriving myself of what I want to eat, is better than if I were eating Duo Mars and Duo Snickers daily, as well as other stuff that I used to, if I wanted to keep my weight artificially high so I can be granted funding or surgery.

Whilst awaiting funding, or once granted funding and waiting for the op, surely if there is enough determination to lose some weight it should be attempted.

I am aware that that may not be the views of many, but when someone has many stones to lose, even a one or two pound weight loss a week whilst awaiting for funding to be granted, is a good thing.

In the waiting for funding or the operation, not that much weight would be lost, and it does reduce the risks of anaesthetic and post-op recovery.

The doctors are not likely to refuse surgery if, after funding is granted, some weight has been lost. It shows commitment that the patient will be able to restrain from eating the wrong foods. And before funding is granted, well, it is the weight on referral that is the main criteria.

I agree it is best to lose weight beforehand if you're able to. Obviously it shows commitment etc plus gets you into good habits beforehand. I think it is highly dependent on your starting BMI though. For me, losing a lot of weight would have taken me under the NICE guidelines of 40 so there is a chance my PCT would turn around and say no. This is not a risk I was willing to take. I think this is a problem that quite a few people on this forum also have! It is highly dependent on your starting BMI and the guidelines for your PCT!
I know I can lose some weight. I just can't keep it off, and quite often put extra back on!!! However, now I have been lucky enough to have a yes to funding, after the 7th (1st appointment with consultant) I will do my best to get myself in the best shape I can before my op, whenever that may be!!!

I have also never thought of the bypass as the easy option. I think the only people who think this are people who haven't done their research!!!

I have never and never will think that having the bypass will do the hard work for me. I am and have always admitted to having bad eating habits. I am working hard and have lost over 5 stone since having my bypass back in May. I stuck to the pre op diet religiously and had shrunk my liver enough to have key hole instead of open surgeon. I was up front with my surgeon and have had very few bad food cravings. I have had plenty of times when I would have normally turned to food I haven't I have worked through it. I was over 22 stone when I started my pre op diet and now nearly 16 weeks later I am under 17 stone. I will continue to work hard and exercise to get to my goal weight/size, as I have been given a precious tool to be used well to help me in my weight loss journey.

You have got a brilliant attitude and well done for doing so well. What got me started was the fact that someone would deliberately keep their already high weight high in the hope that surgery would be granted. I am not talking about people who are very near the minimum NICE Guidelines, but people who are way over and even if they lost several stone, would still be within Guidelines. As I said, well done, but there are people I have read about who are going to think that the op, whichever op is their choice, is going to do the work for them, which it won't. Some people after an op admit to eating the wrong things - even eating meltable foods as snacks and high-sugar fizzy drinks, juice, etc. These people have gone through major surgery only to waste the opportunity.

I agree it is best to lose weight beforehand if you're able to. Obviously it shows commitment etc plus gets you into good habits beforehand. I think it is highly dependent on your starting BMI though. For me, losing a lot of weight would have taken me under the NICE guidelines of 40 so there is a chance my PCT would turn around and say no. This is not a risk I was willing to take. I think this is a problem that quite a few people on this forum also have! It is highly dependent on your starting BMI and the guidelines for your PCT!
I know I can lose some weight. I just can't keep it off, and quite often put extra back on!!! However, now I have been lucky enough to have a yes to funding, after the 7th (1st appointment with consultant) I will do my best to get myself in the best shape I can before my op, whenever that may be!!!

I have also never thought of the bypass as the easy option. I think the only people who think this are people who haven't done their research!!!

Hi - I wasn't talking about a lot of weight. eg a one to two pound loss per week is all, and you were close to minimum Guidelines, I suppose. I really meant someone who is already classed as morbidly or super morbidly obese, deliberately keeping that weight rather than losing weight slowly, just to get funding. Just losing some weight, even a stone or two, will help and won't take a person who is very overweight anywhere near the minimum BMI level of 40.

Best wishes for your appt.

Meggie, you're in a very similar situation to me (similar height and weight) and also both at the Whitt! :D

Can I ask how long ago your first appt was please? Mine is the week after next so trying to get an idea when I might get an appt with Dr Sufi after that.

So sorry to hear your news Julie

It might be a long shot but isnt there another way of doing this.

Can't your GP apply to the pct for funding and once the funding is in place, he can choose and book what hospital to send you to.

It can be done that way round. If your gp is in support of you having the surgery, and applies direct to the pct for funding he can put your initial BMI before you lost the weight and tell them that he advised you to try and lose some before having surgery. He will also be able to let them know about ALL your co-morbs in support of your application.

If you do try to do this I would suggest you dont ask to be referred to Queens again.

Good luck Xx

Meggie, you're in a very similar situation to me (similar height and weight) and also both at the Whitt! :D

Can I ask how long ago your first appt was please? Mine is the week after next so trying to get an idea when I might get an appt with Dr Sufi after that.

Hi Twiggie, the Whit is really busy for wls as is one of the biggest in the uk for wls.
It can be up to 3 months from the time of ur info meeting till ur first app with the consultant and also you wont know which consultant you will have till you get ur letter for your first app after ur info meeting.
I see you live in cambridgeshire area is that the pct u r under if so this is their criteria, i just took it off the bospa site.

BMI over 40 with type 2 diabetes and/or severe sleep apnoea (hypertension is not an allowable comorbidity for surgery), are aged 18-60 and who have been receiving intensive obesity management of at least 6 months.

Each pct have very diff criteria and although we all may be at the same hospital its totally diff for each one of us that are under diff pct`s.

Dreamofbeingslim aka Sharon is also cambridgeshire pct maybe she can offer you some advice.
Take care luv Roch xxx

Take care

Hi Julie just wanted to give you ((((( big hug ))))) and a i hope u find the strength to carry on this battle and get the funding you so deserve xxxxx

So sorry to hear your news Julie

It might be a long shot but isnt there another way of doing this.

Can't your GP apply to the pct for funding and once the funding is in place, he can choose and book what hospital to send you to.

It can be done that way round. If your gp is in support of you having the surgery, and applies direct to the pct for funding he can put your initial BMI before you lost the weight and tell them that he advised you to try and lose some before having surgery. He will also be able to let them know about ALL your co-morbs in support of your application.

If you do try to do this I would suggest you dont ask to be referred to Queens again.

Good luck Xx

I too would agree with Swizzle...a doctor when referring anyone has to put down a history and can say why he/she thinks a wls would give you a good outcome.

They have more than one hospital at their disposal...you can be referred anywhere now.

(((hugs)))

Back