• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Been told by Walsall 'hopefully' be December

ryanrara

RyanRARA
Hey all, been a bit down, been told yesterday by Walsall Manor that I will 'hopefully' have my bypass by December. Really Sucks. My funding was approved on January 28th this year. They initially said no later than October. I just want it to happen. Like yesterday! Perhaps I am acting like a spoilt toddler and should be happy it's coming, even if in December. Just wish it was now!! I am so amped and ready! Any thoughts? Any one had there funding approved same time at Walsall? any news on your date?

Hi

I can empathise with you in the 'wanting it now' (or at least sooner) feeling.

My funding was approved by the local Commissioning group in May this year. Their approved providers were the London hospitals - hence why I am going to a hospital in north London.

Someone from my support group had their funding approved a couple of weeks later by the same people, but now St Richards at Chichester is back on the list of approved providers.

A 3rd person had their first appointment at St Richards on the 1st July (mine was yesterday in London). She found out today her appointment will be 11th August. Mine is estimated to be February.

I know in the scheme of things it's not a huge wait, but it's still frustrating x

Hi,I'm Walsall patient as well,my funding been approved on the 3rd of December 2010,I've been originally told that my op going to be around Sept/Oct,but i've got my date now,which is Aug the 10th. Sorry,if I disappointed you,but I really hope that you date will be much sooner than they told you originally,best of luck xxx

MEE!...Ive been told to expect my op around xmas time...but ive got a feeling it could be later,I just try to forget about it and hope that im one of the lucky ones who get a pleasant surprise in the post

waiting game.

Ryan,, I understand fully where you are coming from..

I attended weight management at Russell's Hall with Dr Labib from October 2008.

I then had to go through all the hoops and tests etc. before he forwarded me to Walsall Manor.

1st appointment at W/Manor : May 2010

I received funding on 6th August 2010

I waited and waited...

Operation Date: 1st April 2011

Total time from when I requested Gastric Bypass Operation was 2 years and 6 months...

The worst waiting was while I was on the list.. (8 months) waiting for the operation date.

I was very stressed and depressed about it all.. but you know what.. It soon flys by.. I used the time to do some research and arm myself with as much information about the bypass as I could..

My only regret is that I didn't get chance to attend any support group meeting BEFORE my operation. (I was working shifts then).

Hang on in there mate. It is worth the wait :D

Jay

Ryan I went on the list at Walsall in November, since then every time I phoned them I was given a different date, the latest being September/October , I actually got my op on 8 July. Call me daft but it seems at last the Manor is getting it's act together and things are starting to move there. So best of luck mate, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

I feel for anyone waiting for there date/op, however now I'm on the otherside, use the time to your advantage.

If your not already, join a support group, start making a list of questions and ask those that are post op already etc.

More importantly, try making minimal changes to your lifestyle now, as my surgeon said to me, for every lb you lose pre op, that's a lb less you need to lose post op, and makes my job easier.

I know its easy for me to say, but use a program that helps you see what your eating/exercising on calories and this will start to get your mind focused for when you are post op.

If I can help anyone, then feel free to ask.

If anyone wants to take the time to look back through my posts, I had a very long battle with Walsall to get my op. It appears that the measures they put in place to sort the mess are now working as op dates seem to be coming through a little quicker. I am also wondering if the cut backs in funding are also impacting. I would keep ringing now and again just to make sure they do not forget you. There are some appalling examples of people getting 'lost' there so keep nudging them now and again.

Good luck.

tranquil x

tranquil_butterfly said:
If anyone wants to take the time to look back through my posts, I had a very long battle with Walsall to get my op. It appears that the measures they put in place to sort the mess are now working as op dates seem to be coming through a little quicker. I am also wondering if the cut backs in funding are also impacting. I would keep ringing now and again just to make sure they do not forget you. There are some appalling examples of people getting 'lost' there so keep nudging them now and again.

Good luck.

tranquil x

I've been ringing and I've send out letters and emailing ad first appointment dec . I went on list April and was told dec to feb but I'm waiting another operation for total knee replacement but won't do until I've had weight loss surgery which made clear in letters and phone calls and letters fingers crossed for about Christmas time or before .good advice tranquil thanks

Last edited:
i too can understand the frustration,and upset .and anger sometimes, i waited 18months for another surgery ,which was on hold because of my weight , then added to bariatric surgery last year ,so my previous 18month wait was wiped!,,funding was approved jan 2010,cancelled ops and appointments ,mean im still waiting , told now def september ,but il not believe it til im on the bed,i think i done what i lot of people do,i stopped living and started waiting for my op,it was all i could think about and all i talked about for months,,so each disapointment seemed worse,i realised i still had a life to live ,ofcourse the waiting is hell,but it cant take over your life,you cant change the wait ,unless your in a position to go private ,so we have to deal with it by using the time to learn more and getting prepared,following peoples stories on here is a great way of preparing,dont give up your old life to soon,i know its tempting cos of all the bad points of being obese,but most of us have some quality of life to get enjoyment out of while we wait , life is so precious ,and our new one will start soon enough,and most post opppers tell us the wait is worth while x,yes il moan about my wait and weight ,but im not letting it ruin any more of my time,

Back