• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Been turned down for surgery

Hi I am currently going through the same thing as you. I have a bmi of 60 and I don't meet my pct's criteria. It is bmi>40 with either sleep apnea and or diabetes. I applied for funding in December of last year and was refused funding in August. They said I didn't meet the criteria and wasn't an exceptional case. We appealed and my gp wrote a fantastic appeal but unfortunately it was turned down again for the same reasons. I am going on Thursday to pick up a machine to check for sleep apnea as we think I might have developed it now (hope so) and go back on Friday for the results. If it turns out that I do have it then I was told I can have the funding but if it turns out I don't then I have to go to appeal again. The next appeal will be a face to face meeting with the chair of the panel ( I can take someone with me). He then takes it back to the panel to await the decision. Sounds really silly but I really hope I do have sleep apnea because I so need this operation and I really don't think they are going to fund it unless I do have the apnea or diabetes(which I don't have). I get really annoyed by all this because the bospa advice is that I should automatically qualify because of my bmi. I understand totally how you are feeling because I too can't afford to go private so the nhs is the only way for me too. So hope you get this sorted soon. Take care.

Hi Jan and welcome!Have you done weight management,most areas seem to want you to have done that for at least 6 months,have you listed every way that your weight impacts on your life?Fatigue,veins,hernia,no sexlife,no sleep,too much sleep,prolapse,incontinence,skin fold infections,not able to wipe own bum,wash properly etc etc.Its a daunting journey that som of us have been on for 2 years plus and thats just applying for funding!Once you have posted 50 times talk to Gingernutter.Now theres a fighter!Maz x

Hi there, thanks so much for the replies :)))). It just seems that some people can get funding relatively easily, while others of us have to fight. I can't wait to speak to Gingernutter, as have been told by a few people that she has fought and won her battle with PCT. At least I don't feel alone now, some of you are going through the same disappointment time after time.
Thank you all, and am looking forward to getting enough posts to message new friends on here!

If you have Sleep Apnoea this will definatley help, I didn't think I had it until I had the sleep study done. Although my Husband used to complain about my snoring all the time, I just put it down to my weight. When I read the questionaire it did say are you sleepy during the day which I was a lot, but since having my CPAP machine I feel great and very seldom tired during the day. They only downside is they will want to have the Sleep Apnoea under control, and may want you to use the machine for 3 months before surgery. This doesn't mean you won't go on the list, I was on it whilst getting it under control. I wouldn't wish an illness on anyone, but if you do have this it's classed as a co-morbid illness due to obesity.

Good Luck
Jeanx

:)Hi & welcome Jan,

Gosh - I thought I had written this post-
I'm also 52 , no co-morbitities but plenty of aches & pains and.....
BMI 45 - spooky!!!

I am still in very early stages-waiting for reluctant GP to apply for funding so I reading your thread with interest
(ps to quickly get your posts up to 50 go on all "word association" threads-they are in lots of different forum on minis)

Hi Poppet, thanks for that, shall keep fingers,toes and everything crossed for both of us xxxxxx

Hello again, thanks Gingernutter, I have heard all about you from other members, and your struggle to have the op. To be honest I would travel to anywhere in the country to have the surgery, but I don't think that is an option for me, I did ask my GP and she said no matter where I had the op, the local PCT would have to fund it?
I know we are all on here with a common problem, our weight.
Thanks again all of you, you are brill :)))))) xxxxxxxx

Hi Jan and welcome to Minis, I'm on the waiting side, in the early stages of applying for WLS, so far I have had one appointment at the hospital and that was in July ... I'm a little apprehensive about what will happen then. By the way, I am five years older than you, I'm determined not to give up ... there are days when I feel low, but we all have to keep on trying and keep motivating each other to carry on. I hope things soon change for you ... there is so much help and advice here ... it certainly keeps me plodding on. Take care now ... I'll keep my eye out for you

Thank you so much for your comments, I am so thrilled when someone takes the time to look at my post, and then writes back. I am still trying to find my way around the site, but am loving reading others stories and successes.
Just hope our day comes around sooner rather than later xxxx

Hi smiler welcome to minimims glad to have you aboard, sorry to hear you have been turned down twice it must be very disappointing for you. It sounds like you do not meet your PCT criteria but it is worth checking on the site, not this one your local PCT one.
You cannot PM someone until you have posted 50 times and the best way to mount that up is to play on the word games on the forum
Good luck anyway

Jayxx

Hi again, thanks for the best wishes. I did look on the BOSPA site and checked my PCT's criteria, it just says NICE guidelines.
Am collecting the sleep machine next thursday and return it on friday, expect it will take quite a while for results to be sent to the consultant, who will then apply for funding again. There are just so many of us in Cornwall trying to get funding, I just feel sometimes I will just never be lucky enough to get it. Trying to remain positive, but it is so difficult sometimes.
thanks again,

I know how difficult it is to try and remain positive but keep trying.

I have the oxygen monitor yesterday and took it back today for the results and discovered I do have mild sleep apneoa so will forward it to the pct when I get the letter.

Good luck.

Hello again everyone, am collecting the sleep machine thingy tomorrow from the hospital, have no idea what is involved in using it, am sure they will tell me though. Am bit concerned though as I don't really sleep for more than an hour at a time, and also get up to go to the loo about 3 times a night. Do you have to stop the machine ? Any information would be gladly received, hope to hear from someone, thanks everyone :))))

Hi Jan,

When i went for mine, they set the machine to start at the time i wanted to go to bed ( 11pm for me ) and set it to finish at 7am.

You just keep it on all night whether youre awake , asleep or going to the loo - basically it just carries on recording.

Good luck with it :)

Helo smiler :)

Im from Devon so will also (hopefully) be getting my surgery done at Taunton.
Ive been going to the Obisity Clinic in Exeter for the past 2 months, i did have an appointment with the consultant again in December (she wanted to get me applying for funding asap) but the appointment has been brought forward to next week (dont know why but im dreading its bad news :( knowing my luck it will be).

Are we under the same pct? Or is Devon and Cornwall seperate?

Good luck with your future fight :) xxxxx

Hi there, thanks for replying. I think we are under the same Authority, as if successful (oh how I wish), will be Taunton hospital. Although they are doing bands now at Treliske, they started doing them in July I think, so it will be a couple of years before they do any bypasses. Keep in touch, nice knowing there is someone near my neck of the woods lol xxxx

Back