• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Best and worst bits if Gastric Sleeve

greyputy

Hi all
I have just read a similar post on gastric bypass and hoped that we could do something for pre and post sleevers? Basically post oppers said what there best and worst bits since the op were. I am a pre op so can't join in just yet but really looking forward to anything you can add :) :)

I'm really curious to hear this as well. I'm considering the sleeve and think a lot of people like me would benefit from all your experiences!

ooooh great thread.... I am eager to find out too :) x

Hi to you all :)
I had a sleeve done on 21/05/11. To date I've lost 5st 11lbs so would thoroughly recommend it!
It wasn't an easy journey but I have no regrets.

I had my sleeve op about 5 weeks ago now to date I have lost including the pre op diet just under 4 stone !!

I went for the sleeve as wasn't keen on the band or the actual bypass!

I think the worst part for me was the purée diet however that's probally when I lost the most weight!

I'm now on the soft food diet so glad have had it. ??

My advice is have it done if you are thinking about it!

I do have a question does any1 know if I can take or should I say what tablets I can take for a headache? Xx

Best bit i don't crave food anymore.
worst bit i can't down a drink only sips.
But can't complain the weight is comin off.xx

Yay I thought no one was going to pick up this thread. Can't wait to hear more :)

I know there is a risk of the staples leaking as a negative but does anyone know how long that the risk lasts i.e. does it heal completely eventually?!?!

jojo12080976 said:
I had my sleeve op about 5 weeks ago now to date I have lost including the pre op diet just under 4 stone !!

I think the worst part for me was the purée diet however that's probally when I lost the most weight!

I do have a question does any1 know if I can take or should I say what tablets I can take for a headache? Xx

Hi

I've always taken paracetamol xx

Ahh thank you I checked with my doctor and they also suggested paracetamol.

Am still getting used to what I can and can't eat now.

I keep remembering chew, chew, chew.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

must admit i found the puree diet easy because i could not eat bread, pasta,ect, now i have to tell myself i'm not to eat the bad foods and some nights i could kill for a slice of cold butterd toast. i don't want to take the risk of stretching my little tummy.

To be honest I haven't seen any bad things said about the sleeve.

There are a fair few long term and very succesful sleevers on here, Mixxy, Tiara's, Rambo! Hopefully they will see this and give you some more idea of what lifes like post sleeve xx

Mazza said:
To be honest I haven't seen any bad things said about the sleeve.

There are a fair few long term and very succesful sleevers on here, Mixxy, Tiara's, Rambo! Hopefully they will see this and give you some more idea of what lifes like post sleeve xx

And me :)

I know the feeling dolly.

I have a diet sheet from the hospital which says you can eat a soft bread roll on the soft food diet but i try avoid it.

The 1 thing I cannot seem to tolerate anymore though is eggs scrambled or hard boiled which I mash up, I have gone completely off them. ?

The 1 thing I am quite proud off I was a self confessed chocoholic and really thought I may really find that hard and the diet coke not being able to have it but have done well haven't ate chocolate in 9 weeks, and diet coke since the day before my surgery.

I have to say so glad found this forum on the apps as find it do helpful as I often need advice or am unsure of certain things and it's good to talk to people who know how you are feeling.

So proud to say am on the losing team tehe ??

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi all. Would any of know the answer to this?

'I know there is a risk of the staples leaking as a negative but does anyone know how long that the risk lasts i.e. does it heal completely eventually?'

I am pre-op so cannot comment on any experiences and am also very interested to hear from you lovely experienced post-opers :)
When I had my appointment with the surgeon a couple of weeks ago I asked him about the risks of leaks with a sleeve.

His comments were that any major leaks would normally be evident within 48 hours or so after surgery. Minor leaks are harder to spot and can occur up to about 2 weeks after surgery. The symptoms are that on the whole you are starting to feel better each day at this point and if you then start to feel worse an generally unwell this could point to a minor leak.
He said that generally after the first few weeks a sleeve is pretty much "no maintenance" in that any complications that occur tend to happen at the time of surgery or shortly after. (Excluding risks of stretching over time)

I'm two weeks post op and apart from the extreme wind pain I felt post op, and the recovery of the actual operation, I have had no negative side affects.

Obviously not being able to eat for 8 weeks 2 weeks pre and 4-6 weeks post is not ideal but something you have to do.

Stretching of the sleeve will always be a concern too.

Roll on another 2 weeks when I can start eating a little

I am now 3 months post sleeve.

The best bits for me, in no particular order are:-

No vitamin injections, no hair loss, no mood swings, no dumping, short hospital stay ( I was home in 24hrs) rapid recovery (I was back in the pool in 2 weeks and the gym in 6). Many of the foods I was warned might be a no-no have turned out not to be (pineapple, potato skins). The weight loss has left me with no more blood pressure tablets, no more cholesterol tablets and being careful what I eat has meant that my type II diabetes is now diet controlled.

The worst bits:-

Learning my limitations. Even 3 months on, sometimes I am silly and the vomiting reminds me very quickly which foods do not agree with me (beefburgers! white fish?? mushy peas!!!!!). Knowing that I should have started this journey a long time ago when my GP first suggested it!!

I lost 40Kg in the 5 months pre-op and a further 22Kg since. I now weigh less than I did when I got married 32 years ago and can now buy my clothes from Tesco.

A sleeve is just another weapon in your armoury like dieting and exercise, it doesn't work if you don't work with it.

HTH

Chris

Last edited:
A friends father had this done 8 days ago, needed a 2nd op as had a leak, and had 2 heart attacks yesterday, poor bloke not left hospital yet since going in for sleeve, and likely to be in all this week....does wake you up to the fact no op is without risk, I'm grateful my band op went smoothly that's for sure

Back