• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Best and worst bits if Gastric Sleeve

greyputy

JO28172 said:
A friends father had this done 8 days ago, needed a 2nd op as had a leak, and had 2 heart attacks yesterday, poor bloke not left hospital yet since going in for sleeve, and likely to be in all this week....does wake you up to the fact no op is without risk, I'm grateful my band op went smoothly that's for sure

Poor bloke sounds like he has been through the mill. I hope he gets well soon :(
Did they say what caused the leak?

greyputy

frodoald said:
I am pre-op so cannot comment on any experiences and am also very interested to hear from you lovely experienced post-opers :)
When I had my appointment with the surgeon a couple of weeks ago I asked him about the risks of leaks with a sleeve.

His comments were that any major leaks would normally be evident within 48 hours or so after surgery. Minor leaks are harder to spot and can occur up to about 2 weeks after surgery. The symptoms are that on the whole you are starting to feel better each day at this point and if you then start to feel worse an generally unwell this could point to a minor leak.
He said that generally after the first few weeks a sleeve is pretty much "no maintenance" in that any complications that occur tend to happen at the time of surgery or shortly after. (Excluding risks of stretching over time)

Thanks Frodoald, this has been really helpful for me :)
And thanks to you all for replying to this thread. I love hearing all the good :) and bad :( aspects of the sleeve. It helps with my decision process :) :)

BEXS99

Loves this site x
Hi i had my sleeve 3 weeks and as far as im concerned its the best thing i have done, since my op and pre op diet i have lost 2 stone and not on insulin injections any more, or high blood pressure tablets. Its not the easiest thing to do, i have found the liquid diet very hard just having soup, yoghurt and juice, but am coping, i have not had any pain with the op, was not good with the aesthetic but that's just me, but had the best surgeon.

cathykats

Hi all, I started my pre op diet today it's 4 weight watchers soup , 4 muller light yogurts any flavours , pint of semi skimmed milk and 1 multi vitamin.

I'm feeling quite sick & have a headache :( but I know it will be worth it.
My op is on the 22nd Nov 2011 :)

Good luck to you all! x

greyputy

Well decision is made. I rang the hospital on Friday and said I had decided on the sleeve after lots of research. They had to check with the surgeon if he would do that as he wanted me to have the bypass.
I spoke with them today and they told me he was happy to do the sleeve and he could do it on 20th November eek starting my pre op diet on Thursday :)

BEXS99

Loves this site x
Good luck cathy xx

BEXS99

Loves this site x
Well done hun, not long u be fine xxx

Caren

Love my sleeve!!
Well decision is made. I rang the hospital on Friday and said I had decided on the sleeve after lots of research. They had to check with the surgeon if he would do that as he wanted me to have the bypass.
I spoke with them today and they told me he was happy to do the sleeve and he could do it on 20th November eek starting my pre op diet on Thursday :)
woohoo good luck :) xxx

Nanny Og

Good luck

xxpigsgalorexx

I am just over 7 months post op and lurve my sleeve ;) x

john tandy

Staple leeks I was told by the consultant which did my sleeve said it will dry up an disappear

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery