• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bit cheesed off !!!

IRJ

Had appointment with Dr New and Dr Ammori on Thurs and went through everything at the clinic incl pre op, ive already done sleep apnea ive got funding and due to a bit of heartflutter i get since childhood i have to have a precautionary 24hr ECG that wont affect my date of op which they cant give me yet due to the waiting list but within 18wks which takes it to Oct/ Nov when ive been seen at Salford since March and it pisses me off, now a friend of mine as offered to pay privatley for me and i pay him back, when i asked Dr Ammori on Thurs he told me 2 weeks privatly and i dont know what to do.

IRJ, I can understand how you would be cheesed off really. From my experience of Salford, they always give you the worst case scenario but it usually turns out that you get going earlier than stated. As I understand it, Mr Ammori's nhs work is not limited wls so there will be cases, as in mine, when wls dates may be cancelled at short notice to accomodate emergency non-wls cases etcetera. I'm sure you will get a date soon. Have you had the psychological evaluation yet?

What a dilemma! What a lovely friend you have. But do you really want the debt when you KNOW that you can have the op on NHS? And it's really not so long to wait. Marion xx

Tell them yr prepared to take short notice if you are. i did and got a phone call on nov 1st to go for my pre op assessment had my op on nov 6th instead of christmas eve.

Hi hun, i can understand the temptation to take your friends very generous offer. But 18 weeks really isnt that long in the great scheme of things. Also, if you go private for your op you have no guarantees that the NHS will foot the bill if anything goes wrong.

Hi IRJ
Sorry you have to have your heart test hun but your better off getting it done . I got one done last week and I have to get another one done on Wens so hopefully I`ll get my results soon . I know you will be feeling a bit down over it but it will soon come around for you . Good luck and take care .
Margaret xx

id say 18 weeks isnt long to wait after the amount of time of living as on overweight person, 18 weeks will fly by and you wont have a massive debt hanging over your head either, and you have to also take into consideration that the nhs is life long aftercare as well, as after care is an added expense on a long term basis.

Hi I personally would wait the 18weeks. It will be here before you know it. You have already got the funding in place so why get into debt when you don't need to, just think if you don't have a debt to pay you will be able to afford lots of beautiful clothes when you have lost the weight. Good luck with your decision.

I'd wait and have it done on the NHS. You must have a really special friend there to offer you the loan of that amount. Paying back a loan of that amount is going to be so hard and could have an effect on your friendship if you struggle to pay it back. I'd definitely wait for your date and then you won't owe anybody anything.Wishing you luck in deciding what to do but if it were me I'd have too many sleepless nights worrying about paying back what I'd loaned.

18 weeks also gives you time to mentally ajust to what is going to happen to you and that extra time can help you prepare better for this major lifestyle change, quickness isnt always best x

I'll be honest and say I feel exactly the same. I have a loan coming that would cover half the cost of a bypass so I decided that I could just find the other 5k from somewhere (another loan possibly). On reflection I decided that paying back 10k possibly might be a problem as let's face it, no-one knows what will happen in the future. What would happen with your friend if you weren't able to pay back the money quickly?? You could always set a limit like 2 months and see where you are in the system. If you're not any closer or haven't at least had your date then you could always go private then. That gives you the necassary time to iron out things and feel completely prepared but might save you ten thousand pounds in the process. You never know, your op may come quickly!!! Ok, starting to ramble now!! Good luck with your decision!!!

10 k is alot to pay back on a monthy basis, you would have to make that debt your priority, not worth it as if you have a difficult month financially the m8 can make life very difficult 4 u.

Hi Im waiting too ive been told mine will definately be done before the 14th Oct, we will probably be done within a few weeks of each other.

But its driving me mad all this waiting I just want to get it over and done with. even a date would be a good start. The thought of the opperation terrifies me.

But like everyone is saying i think it would be better to wait, at least you will get the aftercare from the NHS which counts for alot, peace of mind at least.

I think a lot of us got wound up by the up and down pre-op journey you have to go on to get this surgery on the NHS but it is worth the wait and all you have to go through.

18 weeks really isn't that long and if you tell them your happy to take a cancellation it could be quicker. Wait and get your lovely friend to go with you on a super holiday post op to celebrate.

xx

Hi IRJ

I think I am in a similar position to you. I seem to have been waiting ages and some people have been lucky to go through the process a lot quicker. I first attended Tameside Hospital in Oct 08. Since then I have been referred to Salford.I have had PCT approval.I had my 1st appointment there on 28th Jan. I have had several appointments since at the sleep clinic. I had an appointment with Mr Ammori on 19th March - when I had my pre-op.Then nothing. I had to wait until 2nd July to see the Psychologist. I'm now waiting again!!!
I have an holiday booked on 12th Sep and I was hoping to have had surgery and recovery by then but this is looking very unlikely. Lets hope something happens soon for us.

Good Luck.

Kay.

Back