• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bit of a personal question, sorry!

SCOOBYDOOBYDOO

Hi everyone,
I have something on my mind and its driving me mad.
I have heard that the day after my bypass op I will be given a drink then an x ray to check for leaks.
I have also heard that this drink not only is foul tasting but gives you a really upset stomach.
I am so worried about having to run to the loo when I am newly out of surgery and not making it in time :cry:
Is it that bad?

They put the dye down an NGtube while I was still under anaesthetic so I didn't experience this, sorry. I am sure someone will be on soon that can help.

Rx

Ill be honest i had the drink it was'nt great but i just wanted test over with, i had it at 3pm and felt fine all everning but at 2 in the morning woke with tummy cramps thinking i had wind and thought id followed through i jumped out of bed so fast i ended up pulling my catheter out ! i re-atached it as it had come off the bag and called for the nurse had the catheter out and got straight to the loo and spent the next 15mins on the pot with bad cramps, i went another 3 times in the night then was back to normal. I was not even told the risk of this so it was a major shock and i thought somthing had gone wrong. If by chance you get an upset tummy and have an accident it will be nothing they have not seen before and it will pass and you will soon be back home x

Thanks for being so honest Hannah.
I can't believe that I am so worried about it. I know they will have seen it all before but the thought makes me feel ill!
How many nights did you have to stay in?
Are you sensing a slight panic from my end? Lol

I had to have a barium swallow test, but never experienced the upset tummy at all. Dont know anyone else that experienced it either until just reading hannahs post above.

I have to be at the hospital for 8 am and its about 1 and a half hours drive on a good day! Thats a wednesday and I am really hoping to be home on friday....x

Oh thats good to hear Sambuca!
I do have an iron stomach so will perhaps be ok x

Hi Leanne, I didn't have the dye test but did have a slightly embarrassing incident when I first tried to pass wind after my op. Please don't worry about it, the nurses are used to dealing with this sort of thing and don't bat an eyelid!

Cuppa XX

The drink tastes foul but I didn't have any problems after it as far as running to the loo was concerned.
The dye they use to test for leaks during the op made me sick almost as soon as I came round.
I was kept in for 3 nights after my op the 1st night was on ICU. Hope all goes well for you

Thanks everyone.....

Hi, I'm at Heartlands Birmingham.
Different hospital to you but will be good to have someone who is being 'done' around the same time...xx

I spoke to someone pre-op that had their op at the same hospital as me months before me and they told me about the barium swallow and the tummy effects that it can have, so I was prepared for it.
When I went down for the test the day after surgery I was feeling crappy and really didnt want to swallow it but I did. I quite like aniseed and that is what mine tasted like but it was thick and I had to drink around four or five mouthfuls of it. I expected to throw up after it but I didnt and was fine until later on that day. I felt very windy and then got crampy and went to the bathroom and had some runs, it was black too but I knew to expect that and so was ok. It smelt rather horrid too. I had been worried about having 'run away' runs but it wasnt like that, I had time to feel the cramps, get up from the bed and get to the toilet without following through, I was lucky as I had a private room with my own en suite bathroom, so I didnt have to compete for use of the toilet. I had the runs for a few hours but was then fine overnight and some of the next day. Shortly before being let home that day the runs started again. I was really worried about making it home as home was around an hour away but I got home ok. I think I carried on having the black runs for a day or so after but it wasnt too bad as I knew it was going to happen.
To be honest it really wasnt that bad, if you are worried on the way home or anything then wear sanitary towels and sit on a towel on the way home, but I bet you will be ok, you may well not even get the runs, but just in case you do, be prepared for it to be possibly black and stinky.
Steph xx

Hi Scoobydoobydoo

I also had my op at Heartlands, although a band not a bypass. I live in Kettering and was worried about the travel on the morning of the op, as I had to be there at 8am. I left home at 5.30am just to make sure I had plenty of time in case of hold ups, but arrived at Heartlands at 6.30am!!!!! Loads of boring waiting around time!!!

I hope this helps you with planning your travelling x

I was very keyed up about having the Barium swallow too - and I hadn't even heard about the after effects!!!!!

I had the dye put down me to check for leaks whilst I was on the table. That wasn't a problem except for the blue/green streaks on my face and in my hair and the technicolour wee!!!!!

I had my Op on the Tuesday and I was supposed to supposed to have the Barium swallow on the Friday. For various reasons I was very distressed on the ward and when I saw my surgeon she gave me a quick check over and decided to cancel the Barium swallow.

I was SO relieved.

I do have a warning with a horrible story about going to the loo though. I didn't have a poo in the 5 days I was in hospital but I knew I needed one. I got home on Saturday afternoon, lay down for an hour then when I got up the World fell out of my bottom. It was horrible, I didn't make it to the bathroom. I couldn't clean myself and my OH had to clean me up.

That was probably the lowest point of my whole WLS journey.

Thanks Tina, that is really helpful as I live in Kettering too and was planning on leaving at 5.30!!
Last time I went it took us over 2 hours because of road works on the M6.
Thanks everyone for contributing to this thread. You have helped me to put my mind at ease xxx

Thank god my pct have now started doing it while still under the anaesthetic.....

We weren't told about the side effects of the swallow either, and I had the runs for about 4 days after:(

Back