• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BMI 62, can I not get gastric bypass in uk!!

Oh meant to say I'm doing very well. Week 1 weigh in tomorrow - exciting!

Well thats me booked for wed 25th january. Cyguy & MRSN, where did you get diet sheets from?

Did CLaire send yous them or the hospital?

Mr Li gave me a booklet (it was a Spire one though) and then I was sent some sheets from claire if I remember rightly. Then at pre op I got to meet the dietician and she went through the post op diet.

Oh thats handy. Did you do the food diet or milky one? Still waiting to get price for high dependency unit. Claire said she rang the other day and hold time was over an hour.

How you getting on?

Are you having your op at the Alex? BMI own the Alex.

I'm good thanks - first day back at work today going ok so far. Bit tired but nothing too bad. Still struggling with fluids a bit but working on it.

Hi JOHNG
After reading that MrsN saved some cash by going to the Alexander in Cheadle I phoned Claire, Mr Li's secretary, on Tuesday to get a price and the earliest date I could have the procedure at the Alex. I heard from Claire today that the cost would be £8000.00 (£7850.00 once the cost of consultation is taken off) and my sleeve could be done on Friday 9th Dec which I am really pleased about, I've have thought about going to the Alex all day and I've now decided to go there....no brainer really as the hospital is really good and it's still Mr Li that will be doing my procedure, plus it's a great saving of around £1500. The money saved will pay for flights from Cyprus back to Manchester for follow up apointments , a trip to Ferarri world in Abu Dhabi or for my two new Ragdolls kittens in my profile pic that I'll be collecting in Jan :) . Claire also assured me that even though Mr Li has only been using the Alex for the last few months the aftercare team there are great. All I have to do now is confirm with Claire that I'd like to book the 9th Dec at The Alexander.

I was going to start my pre op diet a couple days ago but was waiting for Claire to get back to me, now I've made up my mind that my surgery date will be 9th Dec I'll start the diet tomorrow. I think I'm going to do a combination of milk and no carbs diet .....milk/yoghurt for breakfast and lunch with chicken/fish and small portion of salad or veg for dinner, Mr Li recommended the food diet but I want a good weight loss/more liver shrinkage(if there's such a thing) so I'm combining the two LSD's for the next 3 weeks. I've just had my 'last Supper' 1/2 crispy duck with pancakes and a bottle of champagne

Keep me posted on your WLS journey

Hope everything is still going well with you MrsN
Sounds a good result. :) I hope you enjoyed your 'last supper'. I did that too and it really made a difference to what was going on in my head as I was mindful of the pleasure of it and also haven't felt deprived since.

There have been some posts on here about combining the two types of pre-op diet - no carb, and milk, and the received wisdom seems to be that it is alright to swap them day to day, but not on the same day. Did Mr Li say why he recommended the food diet? You may want to check that out some more... My dietitian gave me the food diet, I wouldn't have known there was a milk one without being on here. As I thought the milk would be a lot easier for me to cope with as I didn't have to think about food, I asked her about it and she gave it to me with no problems..

The Op is in the alex, but the consultant told me they were going out on their own, hence the cheaper prices.

From what he told me Prof Ammori used to have a deal with the Alex to offer the procedure there cheaper and Mr Li effectively taken this over. Because I enquired to Prof Ammori and he recommended Mr Li that's why I was offered it at the price Prof Ammori charged.

I spoke to Mr Li about the diet - I hate milk but didn't think I'd be able to do the food one. I just needed to cut food out of my life for a while and get into the zone. He was really supportive of that. He actually told me after my op my liver was perfect and made the op so much easier. So the milk diet worked for me.

Sounds a good result. :) I hope you enjoyed your 'last supper'. I did that too and it really made a difference to what was going on in my head as I was mindful of the pleasure of it and also haven't felt deprived since.

There have been some posts on here about combining the two types of pre-op diet - no carb, and milk, and the received wisdom seems to be that it is alright to swap them day to day, but not on the same day. Did Mr Li say why he recommended the food diet? You may want to check that out some more... My dietitian gave me the food diet, I wouldn't have known there was a milk one without being on here. As I thought the milk would be a lot easier for me to cope with as I didn't have to think about food, I asked her about it and she gave it to me with no problems..
When did the dietician contact you?

From what he told me Prof Ammori used to have a deal with the Alex to offer the procedure there cheaper and Mr Li effectively taken this over. Because I enquired to Prof Ammori and he recommended Mr Li that's why I was offered it at the price Prof Ammori charged.

I spoke to Mr Li about the diet - I hate milk but didn't think I'd be able to do the food one. I just needed to cut food out of my life for a while and get into the zone. He was really supportive of that. He actually told me after my op my liver was perfect and made the op so much easier. So the milk diet worked for me.
Ah ok that makes sense then. So you paid bmi healthcare then?

To be honest i liked him & when he told me price i was there with bells on haha. Flights & hotel booked. Just wondering when dietician rings me. Think claire said its when she confirms booking with them.

How you getting on? Suppose milk type diet prepared you for this stage now?

I had my consultation with Mr Li last night at Spire Manchester, I like him and have every confidence in him doing my procedure. I am 'penciled' in for 6th Dec at Spire, I'm now waiting for confirmation from his secretary but having read your post MrsN regarding the op. being cheaper at the Alex. I phoned Claire, Mr Li secretary to discuss the possibility/cost of having my sleeve done there, she will get back to me later today with the info. I'm starting my pre op. LSD diet tomorrow. Ideally I'd love to save some money but time isn't on my side as i'm going back to Cyprus in Jan and if I can't get a date for the Alex. before 10th Dec then I will stick to going into Spire.

JOHNG - Have you decided to go with Mr Li?

MrsN- how are you feeling now? Do you know why there is such a big difference in price between Spire and the Alex? My partner has used the Alex several times and has always been impressed with the staff/nurses, my mum also had her heart bypass there and we couldn't fault the care she was given so I have no objections to going there. Both the Spire and the Alex are only 10-15 mins from my home in Manchester.

I'm excited and nervous at the same time, can't wait to be in 34'' waist jeans instead of 46'' it's going to be a tough journey but I'm determined to be in those smaller jeans by this time next year :)

Hi JOHNG
After reading that MrsN saved some cash by going to the Alexander in Cheadle I phoned Claire, Mr Li's secretary, on Tuesday to get a price and the earliest date I could have the procedure at the Alex. I heard from Claire today that the cost would be £8000.00 (£7850.00 once the cost of consultation is taken off) and my sleeve could be done on Friday 9th Dec which I am really pleased about, I've have thought about going to the Alex all day and I've now decided to go there....no brainer really as the hospital is really good and it's still Mr Li that will be doing my procedure, plus it's a great saving of around £1500. The money saved will pay for flights from Cyprus back to Manchester for follow up apointments , a trip to Ferarri world in Abu Dhabi or for my two new Ragdolls kittens in my profile pic that I'll be collecting in Jan :) . Claire also assured me that even though Mr Li has only been using the Alex for the last few months the aftercare team there are great. All I have to do now is confirm with Claire that I'd like to book the 9th Dec at The Alexander.

I was going to start my pre op diet a couple days ago but was waiting for Claire to get back to me, now I've made up my mind that my surgery date will be 9th Dec I'll start the diet tomorrow. I think I'm going to do a combination of milk and no carbs diet .....milk/yoghurt for breakfast and lunch with chicken/fish and small portion of salad or veg for dinner, Mr Li recommended the food diet but I want a good weight loss/more liver shrinkage(if there's such a thing) so I'm combining the two LSD's for the next 3 weeks. I've just had my 'last Supper' 1/2 crispy duck with pancakes and a bottle of champagne

Keep me posted on your WLS journey

Hope everything is still going well with you MrsN
Hows the diet coming along?

Hi JOHNG
Things are going well still waiting to hear from the team at the Alex regarding pre op, also waiting for confirmation from Claire that I'm booked in for 9th Dec. I just hope everything goes well with the pre op and I can get the procedure over and done with and start my journey to a healthier and fitter life. Some of my family have just been to visit, my sister asked me if I'd made a decision to go ahead with WLS and I told her I wasn't sure just yet whether to go ahead....I hated telling her a lie but I don't want to any of my immediate family to know I'm all set for the 9th Dec. I know my mum would worry herself silly from now until i leave hospital. My family have been great, really understanding, my dad said that they all stand by me whatever my decision. I'm going to phone my sister when she gets home to tell her that I'll be going into the Alex in a couple weeks to have my sleeve, I feel bad that I lied but I wanted to keep it from my mum n dad so they don't worry. I'm rambling on now but I find it therapeutic to talk to others that are going through the same thing as me.

Hi JOHNG
Things are going well still waiting to hear from the team at the Alex regarding pre op, also waiting for confirmation from Claire that I'm booked in for 9th Dec. I just hope everything goes well with the pre op and I can get the procedure over and done with and start my journey to a healthier and fitter life. Some of my family have just been to visit, my sister asked me if I'd made a decision to go ahead with WLS and I told her I wasn't sure just yet whether to go ahead....I hated telling her a lie but I don't want to any of my immediate family to know I'm all set for the 9th Dec. I know my mum would worry herself silly from now until i leave hospital. My family have been great, really understanding, my dad said that they all stand by me whatever my decision. I'm going to phone my sister when she gets home to tell her that I'll be going into the Alex in a couple weeks to have my sleeve, I feel bad that I lied but I wanted to keep it from my mum n dad so they don't worry. I'm rambling on now but I find it therapeutic to talk to others that are going through the same thing as me.
The wife spoke to Claire at lunch so shes to confirm booking today. She said once thats done then pretty much her jobs done. All further contact will be from hospital.

Wouldnt be concerned with telling others at minute unless you are entirely sure. All about getting your own head in right space at moment. Tbh at minute only my wife knows and i intend to keep it that way for forseeable future.

Back