• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BMI 62, can I not get gastric bypass in uk!!

JOHNG79

thanks guys. Just home.

Had blood tests, stomach x-rays, drip, antisickness iv, 3 cups of water, & some dissolvable paracetamol.

Now settled down with bottle of water, lets see how that goes....

Oh i got reply from dietitian who i emailed last night, advising me to go to a&e.

countrywench

So they didn't say why you were being sick ?

FeeBee

Did they give you any answers @JOHNG79 ?

JOHNG79

If you mean hospital, no just that i was dehydrated. Iv had over a litre since coming home so thats more positive. Will probably know more once i go back to having food. Doc has me on clear liquid for today so happy to stick to water & my calcium/ vitamins for today.

JOHNG79

No just that i was dehydrated.

Iv had over a litre of water since coming home so thats more positive. Will probably know more when i go back to having food. Doc has me on clear liquid for today so happy to stick to water & my calcium/ vitamins for today. Then go back to liquid food for couple of days. All being well

MrsN

John have you got the emergency out of hours number? Helen responds to that and texts. Mr Li is still there. He is a locum so by permanent - I saw him the other day and a friend saw him on Friday. I have his mobile number too.
Really hope you're ok.

JOHNG79

John have you got the emergency out of hours number? Helen responds to that and texts. Mr Li is still there. He is a locum so by permanent - I saw him the other day and a friend saw him on Friday. I have his mobile number too.
Really hope you're ok.
Does the emergency number end in 427? As no one answered texts or calls yesterday or this morning on that number.

Feel better after the drip and antisickness meds, now sitting about to have last 500ml of water for the evening.

JOHNG79

Just had hospital nurse on phone. Said she will speak to my surgeon today who is in the hospital today. She was trying to palm me off to dietician, but i had to stop her and advise it was the dietician who told me to go a&e. Oh and told me the bariatric phone was left in ward all weekend, and it would have had the ward number on my discharge letter. Just checked, its not there.

MrsN

Ward number is on mine. Yeah that's the mobile. Mr Li is there today as a friend is seeing him.

MrsN

You ok??

JOHNG79

ah yeah. Getting fluids in, and back on liquids for few days as per dietitian. Now im coming down with the cold again. Havent had so many since this op. Never rains but it pours lol.

How are you getting on?

CassB

hi i know this post is a few months old now but i have found it really useful! I have a consultation booked with mr li at the alex on 5/7/2017 so a few weeks and im hoping to have a sleeve done. How are you all finding your ops now that a good few months have passed??

JOHNG79

hi,

Sorry im rarely online these days so just seen this. Im 11 days away from 6 months away post bypass. Currently 18'5 stone (was 30'8.5 on 30/11/16, and 27'2 two days before op), so things definitely going right way weight wise. Cannot lie and say its been smooth, but its a total life change.

How did your consults go? What surgery you going for?

FeeBee

Great to hear from you @JOHNG79 and it sounds like you're doing so well!

JOHNG79

hi Feebee,

Not too bad. Lot of tiredness/fatigue at minute which is real pain tbh. 1st set of bloods next week so hoping that shows something up.

Big negative iv found in private funding imo, is the total lack of psychological support from providers. I think theres quite a bit in the nhs side of things, but privately its only real nurse & dietitian support.

Then there appears total knowledge gap here in northern ireland in respect of doctors re. Bariatric surgery . I guess its because of the pct not funding the surgeries here.

FeeBee

From friends who've gone private it seems like some do provide psychological support alongside the surgery package but it's not standard and I totally agree it's a very useful. I've had very little support myself via the NHS surgery team but 'luckily' due to multiple health issues I am being supported with therapy via my chronic pain team both before surgery and again afterwards. I can't afford private therapy so it's a godsend because generally on the NHS you'd get maybe 6 sessions via your GP with a therapist normally working on a CBT type model which is very focused on the present and identifying and challenging automatic negative thoughts etc. That could be some use after WLS but most of us know our issues with food come from things in our past so having the option to focus on whatever we need to is important too.

It's always sounded like there is a lot of mystery almost around WLS where you are? It's not offered on the NHS and no one seems to really know about it? I can't imagine how tough that is :(

JOHNG79

yeah sadly the government here spend more time fighting with each other, or using budgets for legal cases re. Abortions or same sex marriage. Useless wastrels. Health service here is on its ass tbh.

Mental the fact i was on same hdu ward in private hospital in manchester that i had to pay for, as patients getting same surgery on nhs. Lunacy.

FeeBee

Yes, very frustrating indeed :(

CassB

Hi john! Thats great news sounds like the weight loss side is going well despite the othef difficulties. I had my consultations and have decided to go with a sleeve. Currently im not in a position to finance it so my gp has applied for nhs funding but im not holding my breath from what ive seen on the site! Looking into possibility of going abroad as its less than half the cost even with flights etc but a bit unsure at the mo to be honest :/