• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypass - catherters used ?

Undecided

Hi All

I know this is a weird question but do they catheter you during the bypass ? I HATE being cathetered. Each time I've had it done I haven't been able to wee properly for a week afterwards and have ended up in agony.

I have been reading up today for the hospital I will attend and they say No they don't catherter. They want you up and walking to the loo ASAP.

No, I didn't have one either.

Guess it depends on your provider. I had one.

i had my bypass on 21st dec and i was told that they no longer catherise as they wish the patient to be mobile asap
x june

T o be honest its not being catherterised thats bothering me its the stuff that you have to drink to clear you out that does. I gag cleaning my teeth in the morning lol x

I didn't have one either, I woke up in my bed at 11.30a.m after op and that was the first thing I checked for!! I was up having a wee on the commode at 7pm

I didn't have one. Got back to the ward about 5pm and was up on a commode next to the bed within 2 hours then up to the loo the time after that x

Nope no Catheter for me either........Your urine maybe blue though because of the dye they use to test your pouch. xx

I didn't have one either, I don't think they do them at Charing Cross for this type of surgery. They want you up and about asap. I was walking to the loo within 2 hours of returning to the ward.

Me neither and I was at SRH in November xx

I had one fitted and it was fine i was dreading it though!

I was at Homerton and didn't have one - they want you as mobile as possible very quickly afterwards.

It's not the norm though I did have one put in when they thought I had a leak and they might have to take me back down. Fortunately I was ok but it was in for two days before they took it out

Back