• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Charing Cross Hospital Waiting List

Hi, I am new to this site. I have decided to have a gastric bypass as I have struggled with my weight since the age of 11 and I am now 37. I went for my information session in July and last week saw the dr, shrink and surgeon. So I am guessing I just have to wait for a date now. I estimate that my surgery date will be in March but is there anyone else on here that had/is having WLS at Charing Cross and if so how long was the wait. Dont get me wrong I am not in a hurry, I have lived with this excess weight for years a few more months wont kill me ( I hope lol) and it also gives me time to do more research and get my head around it.

Hi,
I can't really help with your question but just wanted to say hi!:)
Have you already been approved for funding to have the surgery on the NHS?
Leanne x

Hi,
I can't really help with your question but just wanted to say hi!:)
Have you already been approved for funding to have the surgery on the NHS?
Leanne x

I asked about it at the last appointment and was told that the hospital will apply.

Last edited:
It seems that every area does thigs a little differently.
My G.P had to apply for funding for me first and now I am waiting to get my first appointment at the hospital.
My BMI is over 50, nearer to 60 I think and I had no problem getting funding, in fact I heard within a week (after a blip with my application disappearing into the ether for 6 weeks when it got sent to the wrong fax number!)
Good luck
Leanne x

Thanks for that Leanne, and it does appear that all areas do things differently, but at least the end result is the same. Good luck on your journey and I hope you get dates sorted soon.

hi how did your second appointment go and what happened,
was it a long day ??
kerry

Hi and welcome to minis gingernutter had her surgery at charing cross and I am almost certain she said it was 14 weeks from start to finish for her. I am sure she will be along soon to let you know.

Hi I can't answer your questions but would be interested in the answers you get. I saw CX in Sept and I have my next appt in Jan 10, how long did the appts take, I assume you see all 3 the same day?
Just to wish you all the very best with your journey I look forward to seeing how things progress for you.
Bunnyxx

Hi. My second appointment is on friday so we are at a similar place in the queue I imagine. Did you not ask them how long the wait was? My route was a bit different though as my PCT sorts the funding before refering you on to the hospital.

Hi there,

My first appointment, which was the info session was on the 10th July and the second appointment to see the shrink and dr was on the 9th October, however when I went there they said the surgeon was in that day and free to see me ( I was honoured I guess lol) but that dont normally happen. The next stage is for them to discuss me and then send a date but when I rang to have an idea of when that would be I was informed that at present they are sending out appointments for Feb, so I am guessing I will get mine for March. Which is a long time from the day I will have seen the surgeon but I am not complaining as I will use the time wisely to prepare myself.

Hi I can't answer your questions but would be interested in the answers you get. I saw CX in Sept and I have my next appt in Jan 10, how long did the appts take, I assume you see all 3 the same day?
Just to wish you all the very best with your journey I look forward to seeing how things progress for you.
Bunnyxx

Thanks Bunny.

I dont think it is normal to see all three in the same day as I was previously told that would see dr first and surgeon approx 8 weeks later, I was just lucky to see all three on the same day. The only problem was I was not prepared to see the surgeon and did not have my list of questions ready to grill him!

Hi there and welcome to minis, hope you find the site usefullxxx

Thanks, I think you might be seeing quite a bit of me on here over the coming months :)

Hi and welcome to minis gingernutter had her surgery at charing cross and I am almost certain she said it was 14 weeks from start to finish for her. I am sure she will be along soon to let you know.

Thank you for welcoming me :)

hi how did your second appointment go and what happened,
was it a long day ??
kerry

The second appointment was interesting in that I saw all three, the dr, shrink and surgeon. It was a long day as I also stayed for the info session again (no such thing as too much information lol) and spoke to a few post op patients. All I have to do now is wait and wait and wait...

Hi there,

My first appointment, which was the info session was on the 10th July and the second appointment to see the shrink and dr was on the 9th October, however when I went there they said the surgeon was in that day and free to see me ( I was honoured I guess lol) but that dont normally happen. The next stage is for them to discuss me and then send a date but when I rang to have an idea of when that would be I was informed that at present they are sending out appointments for Feb, so I am guessing I will get mine for March. Which is a long time from the day I will have seen the surgeon but I am not complaining as I will use the time wisely to prepare myself.

Ah that makes sense thanks, thats longer than I was expecting.

After the information session the team will review the LONG questionnaire that you filled in. The second appointment will be sent out based on the details from your GP and the details you have filled in. There may be other patients in greater need of appointments due to their situation. I waited 11 weeks for my second appointment.
I can not praise CX enough, they are a centre of excellent and when you have your surgery you will understand why they have earned that status.

First appointment is the information group session.

Second appointment, blood test, heart test, see the Doctor and physiatrist (Some patients might need further tests from this point)

Third appointment see the surgeon and dietitian.

Fourth appointment is one week before your surgery for a pre op assessment.

One week after your surgery you are back at CX to have your staples out (if you have them) and see karen or one of the team for an assessment to see if everything is OK.

Last edited:
After the information session the team will review the LONG questionnaire that you filled in. The second appointment will be sent out based on the details from your GP and the details you have filled in. There may be other patients in greater need of appointments due to their situation. I waited 11 weeks for my second appointment. I went to the information session on the 3 April and had my surgery on 29 July (I got a cancellation due to my poor mobility)

I can not praise CX enough, they are a centre of excellent and when you have your surgery you will understand why they have earned that status.

First appointment is the information group session.

Second appointment, blood test, heart test, see the Doctor and physiatrist (Some patients might need further tests from this point)

Third appointment see the surgeon and dietitian.

Fourth appointment is one week before your surgery for a pre op assessment.

One week after your surgery you are back at CX to have your staples out (if you have them) and see karen or one of the team for an assessment to see if everything is OK.

Fifth appointment is to have fasting bloods taken and tested this around 10 weeks after surgery to see how things are going and check your bloods.

sixth appointment will be the week after the blood is taken to get the results and see the surgeon. All being well that it until next year!!!

Hi Gingernutter

Thanks for this, this really helps. I was curious about one thing you said though....they take out the staples one week after surgery. What does this entail? Is it another key hole procedure? Are we talking about the staples inside, or staples on the wounds on your skin. Sorry to ask such a draft question but I assume the wounds on the skin will heal themselves in time and it is the staples inside that need to be taken out?????????????

Hey hun,
Welcome to the site!!! Won't be long now hun!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

from start to the end take about 8 month

Back