• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Charing Cross

I had my surgery ar Charing cross. I spent 2 years fighting for funding with NO luck in my local area. Charing cross came to my rescue.

I had plenty of time to learn about Charing cross and the team. I am a member on another site were there are a number of people who have had their surgery there.

As I am a member of my local support group I have lots of experience of my local hospital regarding their methods of dealing with us "obese" people.

I can honestly say my experience with Charing cross has been outstanding. They made me feel like I was their most important patient. The standard of care was second to none. The whole team are greatly qualified and experience. You will be in the best of hands.

I found a number of other patients on other sites and they said the same as me.

If anyone has a funding problem please don't give up. Charing cross did my surgery with out the PCT funding. The doctors at Charing cross really care and go that extra mile. If you need help you can google Charing cross hospital and e-mail the bariatric team and they will reply. That's what I did. 14 weeks later I had my surgery

This is all so reassuring. I've got my appointment at Charing Cross tomorrow. x

ooh Tiaras good luck for tomorrow! Would be really interested in how you get on and what happens etc. I have my appointment there on 9th Oct. Hope all goes well for you.

ooh Tiaras good luck for tomorrow! Would be really interested in how you get on and what happens etc. I have my appointment there on 9th Oct. Hope all goes well for you.
Thanks Janet - I'll report back after I've had my appointment tomorrow. x

I am scheduled for a bypass at Charing Cross in early November. I too have been searching for diaries of people who were "done" at CX, just to see how their experiences differ from others.

Glenville - As I'm having my op at Charing Cross too(hopefully the end of this year or very early next year) I've added you to my contacts on here - hope you don't mind.

The one diary I did read was of a lady who said that the hospital treated her very well indeed. I have e-mailed the bariatric unit with a couple of questions and they have replied very quickly and in a very friendly manner which makes me feel happier about going there.

Keep us posted on how things go!

I know CX is one of the best hospitals in the country, and as an aside, I think it is the only hospital in England that performs gender reassignment (so make sure you are under the right surgeon, else you may wake up with a surprise!)
Ant x

How did your appointment go hunni? Hope all was well?
It was ok thanks - but a bit of an anti-climax. Just got to sit back and wait for the next appointment really. Patience isn't really one of my virtues though :rolleyes: x

Oh and there was me thinking you would have been given a date for surgery etc... Did you see the surgeon or was it just a general question and answer session? Who do you have to see next?

(Sorry loads of questions- just wondering what I should expect when I go!)

Also - were you able to park at the hospital or did you use public tranpsort?

Oh and there was me thinking you would have been given a date for surgery etc... Did you see the surgeon or was it just a general question and answer session? Who do you have to see next?

(Sorry loads of questions- just wondering what I should expect when I go!)

Also - were you able to park at the hospital or did you use public tranpsort?
It was just a q&a session but extremely informative. I've got to wait for my next appointment to see surgeon, psychiatrist and dietician (I believe you have to see all three, but not necessarily all in the one day). I've already had my sleep study for my apnoea at Charing Cross.

I didn't have to park this time (it is a bit of a nightmare to find a space, although I have managed in the past without too much problem. This time I got a lift from my husband and then walked home (it took me about 45 minutes - I live in Barnes, but at least I got some exercise, despite being hardly able to walk because of my knee and back pain when I got home).

Depending where you are coming from, it may be better to get public transport. Hammersmith tube station is about five minutes walk away (if you don't have too much difficulty walking, that is). There are also buses - but can't really help with those as I avoid them at all costs!

The actual hospital is pretty good. Various members of my family have been in for different things (including my son when he was a baby - but that was 25 years ago! :eek:).

When is your appointment? x

My appointment is on 9th Oct. My other half (Mark) is going to take me. We live about 50 miles away so will probably drive in. He delivers to Charing Cross hospital occasionally with his job and so knows the area pretty well. We're planning on parking at a big shopping centre that's not too far away(not sure if you know of it.... I don't know the area at all) and from there we're going to be really cheeky and get a cab to the hospital and then back again afterwards. Mainly because I do have difficulty walking too far at the moment and also to make it easier for me if I have to attend any subsequent appointments on my own.

I agree with T&T, CX is a very good place but getting a parking slot in the hospital is pretty much impossible. I have parked in the streets behind the hospital but it is not cheap and if your appointment runs late you could risk getting a fine. I usually get to the local tube station and walk from there - takes me about 10 minutes.

Good luck with your appointment.

I would imagine that you will be parking in the Kings Street Mall Car Park. If you just walk across to the station (2 minutes away) there is a taxi rank. x

Everyone starting out will have to attend the group meeting. I too thought I had a personal appointment at CX only to discover that it was a group meeting. This meeting is for information and questions.

At then end of this meeting you will be asked to stay on if you want surgery for a further group session. At the end of that you will be asked if you would like surgery. You will then have to wait for your first appointment in the post.

Everyone feels the same as you, they all want this done ASAP. They will all have to follow these steps. Charing cross aim to do your surgery within 15 weeks from your first appointment.

Once your notes have been assessed by the team then your next appointment is with the doctor and the psychiatrist on the same day. They told me on the day that I was suitable for surgery and they didn't see any problems. I had to wait 11 weeks for this appointment. They might have to send you for more tests as my friend has but for me it was straight forward.

Then your next appointment will be to see the surgeon as it is he who decided if he will do the surgery. You might have to wait 4 to 6 weeks for this appointment. The surgeon will tell you on the day if he will do surgery and you then have to wait for an appointment for surgery. He told me it was around a six week wait however I managed to get an early cancellation.

Then another appointment which will be one week before surgery for pre op assessment with another consultant.

I used public transport as the parking is hard, very few places.

I hope this helps.

Thank you Tiarra's - showed this to my other half and he says he knows where that is so we'll park there.

Gingernutter - thank you so much for your info - I was feeling like I was back the beginning again after already having applied and succeeded in getting the funding! Will look forward to my appointment now and just be patient in waiting for other appointments.

Thanks again
xxx

Hi Mimsie,

I was really glad to see your questions re CX I have my 1st appt on the 24th and like you was beginning to wonder if it was a good choice or not. My appt is at 5pm so now seeing everyones comments that must be for the group meeting.
I wish you well with your journery, as it looks like we will be following the same path.

Bunnyxx

Back