• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Need help

Mimsie67

Hi I have just received my first outpatients appointment at Charing Cross.

I am hoping for a gastric band but from 1st consultation how long can I expect to wait if I am accepted?

Also has anyone else on here been to Charing Cross, if so what were your experiences? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Hi Mimsie,

I not under Charing Cross, but I think most would say How Longs a Piece of String?

Some have been waiting any thing from years to months, though the one's waiting years is usually down to health or funding problems.

The ones that have had it done within a year out weigh the ones that have waited a year or more. If I'm wrong some one will correct me.

charing cross

I have been to Charing cross. Have a look at their web site.

I agree, how long is a piece of string. I was first referred in 2007 and still waiting. Hopefully I am almost there. Every case is individual so it is hard to say.

This is a rundown of your first appointment. Your appointment is a group appointment. There could be 20 or more patients there. You will meet at 12 then be lead to a meeting room. You will sit through a information session were you will first hear from Dr Le roux, he will explain the effects of weight on you and give you other information about the surgery and other options. You will the hear from the dietitian who will talk about diet and lifestyle options and what to expect after the op. Then you will hear from the psychiatrist, she will explain her side of things. Finally you will hear from the surgeon. He will talk about the operations that are available and go into some details. Once you have heard them all you are given the chance to ask questions.

Next you will be ask to consider what option best suits you. For some it will be life style change (diet and exersize) or Medication e.g Reductil or Xenical or surgery. If you think you would be interested in surgery you will be asked to stay on for another group session.

At this session you will sit in a circle and introduce yourself to the group and state why you are there. You will meet 2 people who have had the surgery and they will share their experience with you. Sitting in on the group will be the psychiatrist. When the session is over you will be asked what you would like to do. By-pass or band or medication. Remember just because you want something there are many loops to go through first. You will have to fill in a long questionnaire. They will collect the questionnaire in then you can go.

They will send you your next appointment. I had a ten week wait for my next appointment. The second appointment is with the consultant and the psychiatrist for an assessment for surgery. If you are suitable and fit the criteria then you will see the surgeon at your next appointment. He then should give you an date.

I will share my details with you if you want to e-mail me at Expose Email.

I have a friend going on the 19 June for his first appointment.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, thanks for making me feel so welcome. :grouphugg:

Thanks Gingernutter for such a detailed run down, I feel a little less anxious now. :giggle:

To be honest I am not sure whether funding has been applied for yet. All I know is I went to my GP and she has referred me straight to the hospital as she has tried pretty much everything else with me.

My story is very long to be honest but basically I was born with a very rare bone condition. I have had numerouse operations on my legs including a very lengthy process of leg lengthening. At the age of 14 I was only 3' 11". From a very young age I have had a problem with my weight but just about managed to keep it under control. I feel that when I started the leg lengthening process that is when my real problems started, I was very immobile and very depressed, hence I turned to food.

My tretment finally finished at the age of 18 by which time I had put on too much weight. I am now 35 and have been yo yo dieting for many years with very little success. I have also lost a lot of my mobility partly due to my treatment but I also feel that my weight is a very big contributor to that.

I now weigh about 17 st 7lbs (way to much for my height of 4' 8") and constantly feel down about the whole thing, I just feel so helpless. I admit I turn to food for every different emotion and the more fedup I become the worse it gets.

So there is my story. I know that surgery is far from a quick fix or an easy option but I feel that it is my last chance to do something about my weight.

I am also in a relationship and we are both extremely desperate to have a baby, which while I am the size I am is a deffinate no no.

So fingers crossed for me guys, I will keep you all updated on my progress.

:newbie:

Hi Mimsie, I really hope that you get the help you need as soon as possible.:grouphugg:You are in the right place for advice, info and support. x

Hi Jenni,

WOW, I cannot believe how much you have lost. How easy or hard are you finding it?

You are doing so so well :happy096: keep up the good work and please keep me updated, I would really appreciate that.

Love

Mimsie :talk017:
xxxxxxx

Hi Mimsie, it is quite hard when I get "Head Hunger" if you see what I mean - but have learned to deal with this. I have been studying carefully what I should eat in terms of protein etc. so have started taking notiice of food not only as nice tasting/texture etc. but as fuel for my body - this is a very new experience for me.

I'm only at the start of my weightloss journey and I do think the reason I have lost a gd amount so far is because I have so much to lose. I think it will slow down quite a bit (hopefully not too soon!).

I have found the support here amazing - I had to have the op privately but I get NHS support with dietician and psych and nurses etc. To be honest tho as there are no WLS to speak of in my area I'm new ground to most of them at the WL clinic. So I do get most of my info etc. from books and from this forum.

The band is a powerful weight loss tool, but I guess as with anything, you have to know how to use it and then over time get more skilled.

Very best of luck to you - are you looking at Band or Bypass? x

Hoping for band.

Sorry for all the questions but I am just trying to get my head around it all.

How regularly do you have to return to the hospital etc? What it is I spend a fair amount of time visiting my parents in France and was just wondering about working that in with my hospital visits.

Thanks once again.

Mimsie
xxxx

Hey Jay,

Thank you very much. The same to you.

How long have you been waiting? I just want to get going now, it is so frustrating.

Keep me updated, all help is very much appreciated.

Thank you all so much for all your help.

It really is very much appreciated, at the moment I feel like a small fish in a very big pond!!!!!

Hoping for band.

Sorry for all the questions but I am just trying to get my head around it all.

How regularly do you have to return to the hospital etc? What it is I spend a fair amount of time visiting my parents in France and was just wondering about working that in with my hospital visits.

Thanks once again.

Mimsie
xxxx

As you know, I went Private, but I only had to return to hosp after op for xray and 1st fill.

If you mean prior to op. I know that most NHS patients have to have a variety of tests. I expect someone will be along soon to answer this from NHS point of view. X

Mimsie

You are welcome. e mail me for more details.

You need to get posting so we can contact you personally. I think you need 50 posts. GET POSTING!

hi mimsie welcome to Mini's, hopefully things will go well for you at charing cross. i am also in london, wembley. Had a bypass privately so unfortunately am unable to help you with questions re time involved.

Hi Mimsie
Welcome to the site its a great site and the people are very friendly i hope you enjoy it here hun .
I`m under Charing Cross Hospital but I haven`t been there yet . But I have meet the team in Belfast on the 22nd of NOV 08 . They are very nice to talk to . Good luck and take care .
MARGARET XX

Last edited:
Thank you both.

Margaret it would be great if you could keep me posted on how you get on.

Also how do you get all those fab sparklies on your threds????

Mimsie
xxxx

Back