• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Cheating on your liquid diet

I've kept my gob shut on this thread so far but this is just getting damned ridiculous now.

Do people not take any notice of what their surgeons say? Of all the information available on the internet?

It is NOT all about calories. It is to do with the rigidity of the liver.

I am absolutely flaming shocked at the amount of people who decide they know better than their consultant.

Yes it's hard. Yes we've all had eating problems to be the size we are. But they are only asking for (well, TELLING us) 2-4 weeks of following this. FOR OUR SAFETY.

People are:

a) Risking their own health, possibly even life
b) Risking having their operation cancelled once the operation has started
c) Risking their consultant cancelling other people's ops - even if they've followed it to the letter. (Mr Sufi cancelled 2 weeks of ops at the Whittington in London after having 3 people in a row with stiff livers. Those 3 utterly SELFISH individuals screwed it up for the others).

If these people 'cheating' on their pre-ops are private patients then I wish I had your sort of money to risk wasting.

If they are NHS patients then maybe they ought to be a lot more grateful for this opportunity. There are people our there desperate for surgery. None of us have a God-given right to this operation. It is a gift we have been given and we need to appreciate that. If you aren't serious about it then give up your place on the list to somebody who will make the effort !!!

And I'm sorry but 'stick to it now and you'll be fine' can only be a hope - possibly false hope. There is a reason the consultant has given those instructions - funnily enough they actually know what they are talking about.

The original poster came back on here with the hump because of people being judgmental. What exactly did you expect? Did you just want people to pat you n the head and tell you it would all be ok? Nobody can because nobody knows.

People on this forum are some of the most supportive people I have come across. Honest and to the point, but supportive. Being supportive is NOT giving somebody false hope. What happens if that hope ends up being misplaced.

I was going to say sorry if I've offended anyone. But I'm not sorry. I'm steaming mad.

Lol...you took the words out of my mouth,if people are struggling with just doing 2 weeks pre op diet,how the hell will they cope after weightloss surgery when you are on liquids/mush for weeks.

Lol...you took the words out of my mouth,if people are struggling with just doing 2 weeks pre op diet,how the hell will they cope after weightloss surgery when you are on liquids/mush for weeks.

I absolutely agree with you and Lincs Lass, the reason for the pre op preparation is to prepare your liver so they can move it out of the way, if you can't do as required you risk waking up with nothing more than 5 holes.

I can say there there it will be fine and that will make you feel so much better, but its quite simply a lie. So I question why you made this as your first post??
I was not being judgemental I still think that all you are doing is ultimatley making the whole procedure riskier than it needs to be. But its your life your decision. I know that for me I wanted to be as safe as possible for someone who was overweight enough to make any operation a risk.

Every time you want to cave- brush your teeth

It helped me and I didn't give in, but I only had to do 1 week.

I feel your pain and wish you luck x

Totally agree with you Lincs Lass. Infuriates me.

Thanks for all your feedback if they can't do it I guess I'll dust myself off and try again life is about trials and tribulations no one said it would be easy but in the end the purpose is to overcome and triumph to what you put your all into!!!

What can I say? Maybe I was lucky, the moment my pre op started I knew I was changing my life forever - no going back. I didn't cheat, and I'm going to controversial and say it was actually easier than I thought it was going to be. I understood what was expected of me, terrified that if I did something wrong I would wake up with incisions but no bypass, or worse - never wake up at all!

I was prepared, are you?

After 15 days on the milk diet, I was filled with pride. I knew I had proved to myself that I was ready, and that I had the willpower to to make the very best from the gift that is bariatric surgery.

How do you know that you are ready for the life long changes you have to make?

Weight loss surgery is only the beginning, the choices we make are the journey.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your feedback if they can't do it I guess I'll dust myself off and try again life is about trials and tribulations no one said it would be easy but in the end the purpose is to overcome and triumph to what you put your all into!!!

Dust yourself off and try again?
In my opinion if you can't stick to a couple of week pre op your certainly not ready,and as for trying again,if you fail on pre op you certainly shouldn't expect a life changing chance again.
What a strange thing to say...when so many would kill for this opportunity to live the life they dream off.

What can I say? Maybe I was lucky, the moment my pre op started I knew I was changing my life forever - no going back. I didn't cheat, and I'm going to controversial and say it was actually easier than I thought it was going to be. I was prepared, are you?

I'm on my third and final week on milk and yogurt. It hasn't been easy for me, but it's only 3 weeks. I'm craving meat to the point that I worry I'll wake up one morning and find I've gnawed my hand off in the night, but I know I can't have it.
I know what you mean though, at no point have I been tempted by food. No meal is worth the money I've paid for this surgery. No food is worth risking my health, or my safety on the operating table.

Drod: you might not think the comments are supportive. I think they are. Patting your hand and telling you it's ok to run such risks wouldn't be helpful. I do hope your surgery goes ahead and goes smoothly.

If you can't do it then your not ready for surgery. Harsh but fact

Dust yourself off and try again?
In my opinion if you can't stick to a couple of week pre op your certainly not ready,and as for trying again,if you fail on pre op you certainly shouldn't expect a life changing chance again.
What a strange thing to say...when so many would kill for this opportunity to live the life they dream off.

Words from my mouth

Funny how so many pass judgement on me sad how judgmental you all are smh you know we were all overweight at one time advice is one thing but judging is another this was my first post and what I wanted to discuss if you didn't like or then don't reply to it it's my journey and how I'm dealing with it may not have been the same way you've dealt with it NEWS FLASH everyone is different and unique if everyone were the same this world would be a f$&@ed up place!!!

What can I say? Maybe I was lucky, the moment my pre op started I knew I was changing my life forever - no going back. I didn't cheat, and I'm going to controversial and say it was actually easier than I thought it was going to be. I was prepared, are you?

Nothing to do with luck it's a choice and sheer determination :)

Lets face it pre op diet stinks, no one likes it, its something we have never done before .I was lucky enough that my provider did the food option but I wont lie it was still hard, I had 800 cals per day and 2 energetic young children to look after. I love food and I love to eat but not as much as I loved the opportunity I was given. There were times when I could have happily sat with a bag of salt and vinegar nuts and devoured the lot ( I didn't) . I can say now I am 4 weeks post bypass on the puree stage and I can say that it is harder than any pre op diet. As after surgery that's where the hard work begins, losing the weight and keeping it off for the rest of ur life. Its not easy and I am sorry that u are struggling, I would advise speaking to ur provider they maybe able to give you a different pre op diet, Good luck on your journey x

Lets face it pre op diet stinks, no one likes it, its something we have never done before .I was lucky enough that my provider did the food option but I wont lie it was still hard, I had 800 cals per day and 2 energetic young children to look after. I love food and I love to eat but not as much as I loved the opportunity I was given. There were times when I could have happily sat with a bag of salt and vinegar nuts and devoured the lot ( I didn't) . I can say now I am 4 weeks post bypass on the puree stage and I can say that it is harder than any pre op diet. As after surgery that's where the hard work begins, losing the weight and keeping it off for the rest of ur life. Its not easy and I am sorry that u are struggling, I would advise speaking to ur provider they maybe able to give you a different pre op diet, Good luck on your journey x

Thanks and I wish you luck on your journey also if you don't mind me asking how was the pain level after surgery ? I have heard different stories but I hear its not to bad feels like you did a bunch of sit ups.. Would love to hear your thoughts on this since your only 4 weeks in.. Thanks

I felt the same my pre op was milk diet and I don't drink milk so was 4 fruit a day, 2 yoghurts and sugar free jelly. Mmm but I stuck to it relioglsly. Purée I struggled as I don't like sloppy food. But Iam here 14 stone lighter because I stuck to the rules.

Ultimately you just need to look at the stats. The majority of us with above average weight loss have stuck to our providers guidelines like glue. And the ones who slink away never to be heard from again...there's a reason why many of them (not all) disappear. Every single person whos written a 'ive cheated on my preop boohoo, tell me I'm still a good person' has disappeared long before I've heard them hit goal weight.

Ultimately you just need to look at the stats. The majority of us with above average weight loss have stuck to our providers guidelines like glue. And the ones who slink away never to be heard from again...there's a reason why many of them (not all) disappear. Every single person whos written a 'ive cheated on my preop boohoo, tell me I'm still a good person' has disappeared long before I've heard them hit goal weight.

Very true yvesa. Iam not goal weight and Iam defo no angel but I've set out what I achieved to do and Iam happy bar. Few pound here and there

Back