• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Cheating on your liquid diet

Very true yvesa. Iam not goal weight and Iam defo no angel but I've set out what I achieved to do and Iam happy bar. Few pound here and there
If I do as well as you hon I will be overjoyed :)

Every single person whos written a 'ive cheated on my preop boohoo, tell me I'm still a good person' has disappeared long before I've heard them hit goal weight.

Absolutely!

As some of you know I have just spent the last 3 months researching and writting an academic paper on long term nutrition following bariatric surgery. One of the points that became apparent during my research, is that participating in support forums, positively effects a patient's long term outcomes.

As we all know, its not just about getting support we agree with, sometimes its about getting a good talking to too!

Ultimately you just need to look at the stats. The majority of us with above average weight loss have stuck to our providers guidelines like glue. And the ones who slink away never to be heard from again...there's a reason why many of them (not all) disappear. Every single person whos written a 'ive cheated on my preop boohoo, tell me I'm still a good person' has disappeared long before I've heard them hit goal weight.

Mmm...I think many dont stay around due to the rose tinted glasses fading after the honeymoon period.
I

Absolutely!

As some of you know I have just spent the last 3 months researching and writting an academic paper on long term nutrition following bariatric surgery. One of the points that became apparent during my research, is that participating in support forums, positively effects a patient's long term outcomes.

As we all know, its not just about getting support we agree with, sometimes its about getting a good talking to too!

Totally agree if I need a good arse kicking I know karlos will give me it. X

It definitely wasn't an I cheated boohoo I know what I've done not proud of it but life goes on I was just asking advice if anyone recommended how to get through it or if anyone has been through the same thing cheated and ruined there chance of surgery.. If I wanted to be lectured I would've asked thanks

All the posts I have read lately being so harsh on people asking for support when they are struggling bring back some uncomfortable memories of thin people saying that people like us should not get surgery for weight loss as all we have to do is eat less. Shes having a hard time and finding it diffficult. Is is not p8ssible to show some support whilst explaining the possible risks.? Yvessa where is anyone asking to be told what a wonderful person they are because they have failed. Nowhere I have seen. I find this all so dissapointing

All the posts I have read lately being so harsh on people asking for support when they are struggling bring back some uncomfortable memories of thin people saying that people like us should not get surgery for weight loss as all we have to do is eat less. Shes having a hard time and finding it diffficult. Is is not p8ssible to show some support whilst explaining the possible risks.? Yvessa where is anyone asking to be told what a wonderful person they are because they have failed. Nowhere I have seen. I find this all so dissapointing

Thanks Paddy P finally someone who has some compassion. I only joined this to get support and advice from others who have been through this life changing process. I know it's difficult no on said it would be easy. But WOW the harsh comments I've received I definitely didn't sign up for this. I guess alot of you have forgotten you were all there once too I will always stay humble no matter how much weight I lose and will always help others on there journeys.

Truth is that many horror stories you can read on the Internet happen because people don't stick to the provider's instructions, and if you can't stick to it Pre-Op, it will be just as hard to stick to it post op... You have to realise that surgery is a tool, not the solution that will take all your weight problems away. Yes, you have restriction eating, but the quality of the food still depends on you, even if it changes the quantity. It was hard for me to, but you have to hold on to your dreams and goals, and motivate yourself with the fear of waking up and not having had the surgery. I agree, for me it also was training for my journey post op.

'I guess alot of you have forgotten you were all there once too'

We were all fat, I agree, but what we are telling you is that we stuck to the pre op diet to get the safest operation and best outcome. The op is only the start of the change, so MOST of us have NOT been there on the cheating front.

I also agree that if you don't change what you do you will not succeed. My hospital insisted on two doses of the milk diet to show commitment to the change required and that helps concentrate your brain I can tell you.

I guess alot of you have forgotten you were all there once too I will always stay humble no matter how much weight I lose and will always help others on there journeys.

But we haven't forgotten at all, we just followed the rules set down by our teams which are there for our safety and to help us get the most out of our surgery.

Sorry paddyp I have to disagree with you slightly. Support comes in all ways but when it comes to cheating the preop I'm afraid the only way is with a bit of tough love... To condone it in any form is blinkered. I start my pre op tomorrow and I'm actually looking forward to it as I have technically been in preop mode since December 2012 when I was told I needed to lose 8stone before they could do my bypass & It was categorically made clear it would not go ahead if I didn't lose it all. I was told early at the first meeting with my team that I needed to work bloody hard and my head needed to the in the right place to make it work. Being a high risk patient I have no intentions of cheating on my preop. My life is worth far more than a "quick fix"....and I would hope that if I came on here to say I had cheated that someone would come and swiftly kick me in the butt!..... Oh and drod78 I have not forgotten what it's like to be fat because even after 8st down I still very much am morbidly obese!

Thanks Paddy P finally someone who has some compassion. I only joined this to get support and advice from others who have been through this life changing process. I know it's difficult no on said it would be easy. But WOW the harsh comments I've received I definitely didn't sign up for this. I guess alot of you have forgotten you were all there once too I will always stay humble no matter how much weight I lose and will always help others on there journeys.

Here's the thing about posting on a forum, you're going to get the whole rainbow of opinions. Some people have been very sympathetic and told you that its fine and thats their honest opinion. Others have given you a different point of view. You talk about humility like I'm somehow arrogant - I weighed thirty stone! I had the most awful relationship with food and I was desperate by the time I applied for surgery. I did the milk diet for six weeks - no cheats. And 15 months on, my team tell me that I am still losing really well despite how far out I am. You say I'm harsh because I don't give you the response that you want and I'm judging you - what on earth did you expect? We all had to do this and some of us were too terrified to cheat. Why are you not??

I'm sorry you feel this way - usually I'm nothing but supportive and I go out of my way to help people when really I don't need to stick around as I'm doing fine on my journey. Equally I do understand how hard the pre-op is as I've been there and done it for a total of six weeks. Frankly I don't understand the OPs mentality or her expectation of support. Licking your finger or accidentally dipping your finger in a pot of something - these are mistakes and can happen to any of us. But if you're making yourself meals or pouring yourself alcohol then you're making a concious choice to take your chances. And my honest opinion is that that makes the person making those choices an idiot.

Some of us are only a few weeks or months post op... Do you really think we have already forgotten what it's like? It's freaking hard, but worth it. And it's too scary and too risky and you have too much to lose if you cheat. If you cheat, you cheat only yourself.

Here's the thing about posting on a forum, you're going to get the whole rainbow of opinions. Some people have been very sympathetic and told you that its fine and thats their honest opinion. Others have given you a different point of view. You talk about humility like I'm somehow arrogant - I weighed thirty stone! I had the most awful relationship with food and I was desperate by the time I applied for surgery. I did the milk diet for six weeks - no cheats. And 15 months on, my team tell me that I am still losing really well despite how far out I am. You say I'm harsh because I don't give you the response that you want and I'm judging you - what on earth did you expect? We all had to do this and some of us were too terrified to cheat. Why are you not??

I'm sorry you feel this way - usually I'm nothing but supportive and I go out of my way to help people when really I don't need to stick around as I'm doing fine on my journey. Equally I do understand how hard the pre-op is as I've been there and done it for a total of six weeks. Frankly I don't understand the OPs mentality or her expectation of support. Licking your finger or accidentally dipping your finger in a pot of something - these are mistakes and can happen to any of us. But if you're making yourself meals or pouring yourself alcohol then you're making a concious choice to take your chances. And my honest opinion is that that makes the person making those choices an idiot.

I'm sorry, but calling someone an idiot is quite offensive hun

I do understand, and when I was pre op I would see posts like these and think "how harsh, they've forgotten how hard it is" etc. Then the last six months happened! I have not changed, sometimes I want to stuff my face with high kcal foods. Since my the beginning of my preop, for the first time in my life, I'm being successful in controlling my eating. Believe me, the bypass only goes so far, I've had to bring the determination and focus! To the OP, I'm not saying you shouldn't have surgery, that isn't for me to say. But I truly hope that you reflect on your behaviour, and learn something. What is that saying? "Those that forget the past, are doomed to repeat it". Believe me, I will never forget, and everyday I reflect on my journey, part of that is done just here on this forum.

Last edited:
Nobody forgets been fat and your reminded of that everyday when your still scared to step on the scales. It is a constant battle to make the right choices. All I was pointing out was if your struggling now at what should be the height of excitement and fear how are you going to manage after the honeymoon period is over.
Good luck with your journey

Far from an idiot just human seems like alot of people on here are perfect I guess I must be trying to seek guidance from the wrong folks.. Smh.. When you can walk on water.. Perform miracles and actually lay down your life for a bunch of sinners.. Then you can pass judgement on me... The only one who was ever perfect was Jesus.. For those who wished me luck Thanks I really truly appreciate it.. I have been through alot of struggles in my life and I always overcome them this is another one I will over come. Positive thoughts and staying focused if you don't have anything nice to say KEEP THE BS TO YOURSELF!!!

Back