• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

childrens ready meals

I live on my own so eating small amounts is a problem
Everything comes in such huge amounts which means i am not able to get any variety
If i make up my slow cooker with just one of each veg and no potato i get enough for at least 12 servings and i only have a small freezer
I find sainsburys basics invaluable at 76p and then balance it off with a second meal of veg and usually chicken and some fruit
I have just been to sainsburys and find tbeir childrens meals at £2 each not very good value as i can buy a pack of chicken pieces for the same price and have half of that with some veg/salad
As you say a lot more nutritious
I have enjoyed the m&s childrens meals at £1.50 and will look at the asda ones tomorrow
Has anybody got any other ideas for nutritious meals for 1 person

Well my plan next week is to spend a day cooking a cottage pie with veg in and a stew with mince. This way I can portion it down and freeze it, not only is it cost effective it also tastes loads better... Oh and I know what's gone in it.!!.

But for convenience I will use ready meals from time to time as well xx

Carre said:
Well my plan next week is to spend a day cooking a cottage pie with veg in and a stew with mince. This way I can portion it down and freeze it, not only is it cost effective it also tastes loads better... Oh and I know what's gone in it.!!.

But for convenience I will use ready meals from time to time as well xx

Yes i only use ready meals for convenience now and then
My little freezer is also full of home cooked food

Last edited:
Have to say I agree with Mazza. I think I had three ready meals since op- they just have the wrong carb/protein balance for us postoppers. The key to convenience is planning ahead.

I have more than three a week and my diet overall is good
My mother has eaten nothing but ready meals for years and is 92 years old and maintains a good weight

I avoid ready meals. I think I have the same issue as people who live alone. The rest of my household eats different to me. I do not fry anything for anyone. But I tend to have chicken a lot.

So I do small portions in my halogen oven. Chicken in a small round oven dish with veg. Yummy :)

Angee, unless you mother has had a wls op I think you are maybe missing the point. We all lead busy lives and we all have to eat small portions now. But because we can eat so little it has to be nutrition rich which ready meals just aren't. You may be losing weight and the calories may be right but there is more to good health than just getting the cals low.

Cook from scratch and portion up peeps!! You know exactly what's in it and its a lot cheaper!

Scrutinise a ready meal nutrition section n they aren't great ...

Slowcookersarethefuture#

I eat them a lot, I work a lot and can't cook, I'm rubbish, but the ready meals are still a lot healthier than I used to eat x

from me phone :D

Slowcookers r great for non cooks! Meat, potatoes, toms, onions, veg, throw in with a cup n half of water n whatever herbs or spices or garlic and leave for hours - even when at work

But I agree sometimes its a baby step n a calorie control portion is better than pre op x

Yvessa said:
Angee, unless you mother has had a wls op I think you are maybe missing the point. We all lead busy lives and we all have to eat small portions now. But because we can eat so little it has to be nutrition rich which ready meals just aren't. You may be losing weight and the calories may be right but there is more to good health than just getting the cals low.

Not missing the point my mother is 92 and needs the same nutrition as us having a small appetite
I aim for 1000 calories so have approx 800 calories to make up any shortfall in nutrition
I check my nutritional intake overall and it is good in spite of the readymeals
The fact that she has reached 92 is the point

Caren said:
I eat them a lot, I work a lot and can't cook, I'm rubbish, but the ready meals are still a lot healthier than I used to eat x

from me phone :D

Nice one caren
That is why we needed wls
Ready meals are better than a lot of other rubbish

I live alone and have a tiny thirty litre freezer on my seventy litre fridge so that doesnt really come into it, but you feed your body ready meals and I will look after mine as I do.

Well thank you
I also find it difficult to stand for long due to my recent knee replacement
The world judges me by the decisions i make
Never does it see the options i had to choose from
All i wanted was some ideas

Totally in agreement maya. Wls is successful with total lifestyle change.

As Maya said, slow cookers are brill, you just chuck it all in, turn it on and forget about it until you're ready to eat.
I also use up any unwanted veg we have by making homemade soups, blitzing them with my stick blender when they're cooked. Tonight I'm having spring onion, carrot and pea soup :)

I suppose it all depends though, I really enjoy cooking and am really getting the hang of making up new recipes for myself and even adapting them for my family too.

I have changed
I never ate ready meals before
I rammed a few cakes/crisps etc when i felt peckish
Just off to asda anyhow

I never ate particularly unhealthy meals before my WLS just huge portions of what I eat now, and hundreds of bags of crisps inbetween!

I am and was an emotional eater. I'm sorry to bang on about this Angee, and clearly I've upset you, but we are taking our time to post on this thread because nutrition is so important postop. We absorb things so differently with bypass/sleeve/wrap that if at all possible we must have a high protein diet which no ready meal that I have ever seen provides. It is not just the small portions! Yes portion control is one step and well done for making that by choosing a small ready meal. But then the next step is looking after your wellbeing in a wider sense. I understand about not being able to stand for long. Been there done that. Like others have said, slow cookers eliminate all that. Again, sorry if we've upset you, but we are just trying to suggest that you need to look closer as to whether these meals are meeting your post op nutrition needs.

Back