• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

childrens ready meals

Caren said:
I eat them a lot, I work a lot and can't cook, I'm rubbish, but the ready meals are still a lot healthier than I used to eat x

from me phone :D

Agree, not everyone has the luxury of a long cooking session to make lots of portions. I'd get bored of eating the same thing too. I do a lot of my own cooking for the family but If it was just me then I'd do the same as you Caren:)

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I mainly cook for just me as I said. Halogen ovens are a lifesaver for that. Put it in. Turn it on. Faster than anything.

Defo each to their own. I had a bypass. So I already lose nutrition. So I have to be very careful. But if it works for others to do different, it's all good.

Opinions are like bums. Everyone has one. That's what happens on a forum I guess :)

Good luck on each individuals journey anyway :)

Fuffs said:
I mainly cook for just me as I said. Halogen ovens are a lifesaver for that. Put it in. Turn it on. Faster than anything.

Defo each to their own. I had a bypass. So I already lose nutrition. So I have to be very careful. But if it works for others to do different, it's all good.

Opinions are like bums. Everyone has one. That's what happens on a forum I guess :)

Good luck on each individuals journey anyway :)

Like!!

Lots of great advise and ideas, I know we are all initial to our opinions, This is what makes this site so good!!

Everyone to there own, do what's right for you........after all it's just advise not a comand xx

Yvessa said:
I am and was an emotional eater. I'm sorry to bang on about this Angee, and clearly I've upset you, but we are taking our time to post on this thread because nutrition is so important postop. We absorb things so differently with bypass/sleeve/wrap that if at all possible we must have a high protein diet which no ready meal that I have ever seen provides. It is not just the small portions! Yes portion control is one step and well done for making that by choosing a small ready meal. But then the next step is looking after your wellbeing in a wider sense. I understand about not being able to stand for long. Been there done that. Like others have said, slow cookers eliminate all that. Again, sorry if we've upset you, but we are just trying to suggest that you need to look closer as to whether these meals are meeting your post op nutrition needs.

Yes i have quite problems outside as i suppose all of us have and i am upset i will say
I use a slow cooker but even if i only use one of each veg it is full and gives me 16 meals, 8 of which go in the freezer which is now full
I need variety so i fill in with ready meals
I can have weatabix, poridge or a protein shake for breakfast and slow cooker for a main meal
And sometimes a ready meal for a second meal
I am upset because every time i come on this thread to explain myself i get shot down
I was told by my provider i could eventually eat whatever i wanted within moderation and the glass of wine i drank last night at 170 calories certainly has less nutrients than a ready meal
I always try to help people on here with constructive advice otherwise there would be no point in it

I don't know whether a lot of the confusion lies with what people are being told by their providers or due to the types of procedure people have had.

I have had a wrap. I have been told by my dietitian that I will be able to eat smaller portions of pretty much anything. I was advised what things I should avoid, but was also told a treat once a month or so wouldn't cause any damage. I was also advised that I would probably be eating the size of half a ready meal, and these are actually on my list of foods!

I am pretty certain that this is based on my eating habits before......I have always eaten well: low fat, not fried, low sugar etc, I just ate massive portions so I have been told that if I continue to eat these kind of foods in my new tiny portions I will do very well.

Also there has never been any mention to me of needing a high protein diet which I know many other have been advised is needed.

I think this forum is invaluable and I have learnt so much on here and always consider what people advise, as there are so many experienced 'losers' on here. But I also think that people need to understand that some of us are receiving different information from our providers, or maybe, because of the type of surgery, may not need to focus on some areas as much as others.

On the other hand, some of us also need to realise that the advise given on here is coming from people who care and have been through all of this, and just perhaps our providers may have not given all the advice we needed!

Preach over :D

You would be surprised how many people are anti ready meals and nothing to do with wls
They are an invaluable source of nutrition to many elderly and disabled people
As you say different procedures call for different diets and i had the wrap so i am just on a normal diet and can eat most things in moderation. i do watch for nutritional value as well and using the my fitness pal app i can see that my diet is good and i do not need additional protein
I am happy to take constructive advice

Last edited:
sararob23 said:
I don't know whether a lot of the confusion lies with what people are being told by their providers or due to the types of procedure people have had.

I have had a wrap. I have been told by my dietitian that I will be able to eat smaller portions of pretty much anything. I was advised what things I should avoid, but was also told a treat once a month or so wouldn't cause any damage. I was also advised that I would probably be eating the size of half a ready meal, and these are actually on my list of foods!

I am pretty certain that this is based on my eating habits before......I have always eaten well: low fat, not fried, low sugar etc, I just ate massive portions so I have been told that if I continue to eat these kind of foods in my new tiny portions I will do very well.

Also there has never been any mention to me of needing a high protein diet which I know many other have been advised is needed.

I think this forum is invaluable and I have learnt so much on here and always consider what people advise, as there are so many experienced 'losers' on here. But I also think that people need to understand that some of us are receiving different information from our providers, or maybe, because of the type of surgery, may not need to focus on some areas as much as others.

On the other hand, some of us also need to realise that the advise given on here is coming from people who care and have been through all of this, and just perhaps our providers may have not given all the advice we needed!

Preach over :D

A very sensible and balanced post. I agree :)

The general consensus for the bypass as it has malabsorption is to eat a balanced diet, with protein being key. This is essential for many reasons including muscle maintenance and repair.

But other ops may be different.

At the end of the day, everyone is trying to help each other. But to clear any confusion, just refer back to the guidance of your particular provider x

Last edited:
Cicca said:
Like!!

angee said:
Yes i have quite problems outside as i suppose all of us have and i am upset i will say
I use a slow cooker but even if i only use one of each veg it is full and gives me 16 meals, 8 of which go in the freezer which is now full
I need variety so i fill in with ready meals
I can have weatabix, poridge or a protein shake for breakfast and slow cooker for a main meal
And sometimes a ready meal for a second meal
I am upset because every time i come on this thread to explain myself i get shot down
I was told by my provider i could eventually eat whatever i wanted within moderation and the glass of wine i drank last night at 170 calories certainly has less nutrients than a ready meal
I always try to help people on here with constructive advice otherwise there would be no point in it

I think less than shooting down, we have to be aware of the silent people who read this site and may take opinions as gospel.

So debate in threads can be good. It offers a relatively broad spectrum of advice that people can take to their provider.

When too much was taken personally, it changed the atmosphere on here for a while. I think we are all past that and can take everything as advice we can either take on board, or discard.

Simples :D

angee said:
Yes i agree i must try to let things go over my head more

You are just human like the rest of us. And the written word holds no tone, smiles or hugs. So support can come across as a lecture.

Letting things go over ones head is a life long process to learn lol :D xxx

Back