• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Christmas Dinner. What are you having?

yorkiegal

Baxter's mum
So this will be my first post bypass Xmas. I haven't a clue what to eat. I'm on my own for the day so don't need to worry about cooking for others like some of you. But there's no point in me doing a turkey. After all, the best thing about Xmas dinner is the roast spuds, chipolatas, yorkshire puds and gravy right?
And an xmas pud would have me laying down all afternoon after dumping.

But it doesn't feel right to sit there on the day, eating soup or two bites of turkey and a sprout lol.

It's actually feeling weird not to see the whole day as a bingefest like i have in the past. It's the one day of the year I didn't feel guilty about bingeing because the whole country was doing it too.

So I think I'm going to make it into a pamper myself day and get lots of stuff from lush instead.

you can buy a bit of turkey and have some veg and gravy, also a cracker :D xxx

I will be 12 days post op so I will have some kind of liquid thing I believe lol.

you can buy a bit of turkey and have some veg and gravy, also a cracker :D xxx

How many calories in a cracker, Caren, lol ... :)

It all depends on what makes you dump, honey :) Could you not have a yorkshire pud & mini sausages or would this be a step too far? I don't 'yet' dump & have had a sunday dinner a few times, beef last week & lamb shanks today & ok, I only get the meat & a bit of veg down but it still satisfies my need to eat normally with my family. Hope you enjoy whatever you end up having xx :)

Last "normal" one for me but don't want to undo the work i put into lossing the 10% asked to so it will be a normal roast turkey dinner, 1 mince pie after my only megga treat will be a trifle other than that cold meats and salad and loads of walks :) Next year will be sooo different!

How many calories in a cracker, Caren, lol ... :)

It all depends on what makes you dump, honey :) Could you not have a yorkshire pud & mini sausages or would this be a step too far? I don't 'yet' dump & have had a sunday dinner a few times, beef last week & lamb shanks today & ok, I only get the meat & a bit of veg down but it still satisfies my need to eat normally with my family. Hope you enjoy whatever you end up having xx :)

Twinkle, do you still purée your meals? My family had a roast chicken today and I tried to prepare my dinner and purée some chicken breast, mash and carrots but I just couldn't face it and ended up just having a yoghurt. Once I had whipped my portion in the blender it had cooled down and if the food is not boiling I can't seem to stomach it. I can't wait for mashed food. Sigh!! :cry:

We always splash out on a huge joint of meat, so my wife said just the other day, what joint are we having this year, so I basically have said I would fit around her and the rest of the family.

The worry for me at the moment is I have family get together just before xmas, where we have my brother and his family and then my parents and my nan there, I know the conversation will turn to me about how much I have lost and also when they see how little I will eat, I dont want the spot light on me all the time, just want to enjoy the time.

Anyone else come across this? and if so how did you manage the situation.

Sounds like a nice treat to pamper yourself. Hope you enjoy yourself. ;)

I will be having a little bit of turkey, and a little bit of veg, but may not have any room for a roastie. :)

Have some mince pies instead of a Christmas pudding this year, so one of these has my name on it.

Merry Christmas to you and enjoy yourself. :26:

Twinkle, do you still purée your meals? My family had a roast chicken today and I tried to prepare my dinner and purée some chicken breast, mash and carrots but I just couldn't face it and ended up just having a yoghurt. Once I had whipped my portion in the blender it had cooled down and if the food is not boiling I can't seem to stomach it. I can't wait for mashed food. Sigh!! :cry:

No Jen, I can eat normally now, 9 weeks post op but admit I never did the blended foods stage as it made me feel ill having it all modged up so I just ate soups, mash potato, soft eggy things until the day came when I could try normal foods. This was around 7 weeks & I had been to my post op appointment & discussed diet with the nutritionist. She said as long as I could eat it & it stayed down, it was OK. So now other than my very small portion size, I am eating the same as my family :) xx

Am going to try a little of everything, roast turkey, stuffing, chipolata, carrot and tiny bit of roastie, did have xmas dinner last night which was nice. x

im with you on the cold food stuff... im on liquids at the moment but start pureed tmro.... but sometimes i have to put my soup back in the microwave as i hate it cold lol x

I don't know what to have i'll be 16 days post op.

My two brothers there wives and 3 nephews all come to my mam and dads. They will have turkey, beef, lamb and ham for meat all the normal veg and my favourite chipolata wrapped in bacon. Then they will have Xmas pud - I won't miss the pud I never had it anyway. But I'm a big meat eater lol.

Anyone have any ideas on what i could have. I will only eat mash with turnip in I'm very fussy :) x

I will be 5 weeks post op by then so I am hoping I can have a little turkey and veg and maybe a very small bit of potato roasted in goose fat. No pud for me though, too scared to try sweet food in case I don't dump! I am going to make some sugar free cranberry sauce though.
I had my first food out tonight, I brought my pureed pork casserole with me to my cousins, they found it hilarious how little I had and even funnier that I couldn't finish it! Next time they probably wont take any notice. Christmas we are having my mum, the in laws and one of my sons. Hubby is doing all the cooking so I am looking forward to it x

That's lovely Marie gives u a chance to sit back and relax. X

We always splash out on a huge joint of meat, so my wife said just the other day, what joint are we having this year, so I basically have said I would fit around her and the rest of the family.

The worry for me at the moment is I have family get together just before xmas, where we have my brother and his family and then my parents and my nan there, I know the conversation will turn to me about how much I have lost and also when they see how little I will eat, I dont want the spot light on me all the time, just want to enjoy the time.

Anyone else come across this? and if so how did you manage the situation.

I know exactly what you mean...I had a birthday party 2 months after surgery and felt everyone was watching me to see what I eat so I just avoided the food and ate nothing! Found the first few times I ate with a person difficult but now I just eat what I can and watch everyone collapse and moan after eating way too much! Looking forward to not having that sluggish feeling this Christmas!

I will be having a little bit of whatever is on offer. No pudding but then I don' really have a sweet tooth. I will also have a prawn cocktail minus the lettuce etc but again only a small portion.

I am going to make sure there is a big gap between starter and main.

I am really looking forward to Christmas. Might not be able to eat like I used to but it will be nice to see family etc.

Wendy x

I spent yesterday making the Christmas cake & pudding which I plan to have some of on the big day. To make sure I can have even the tiniest piece I searched until I found the lowest fat level for the spread, Splenda instead of sugar & agave syrup instead of treacle. Resulting in a slightly lighter coloured cake & pud than usual more golden than dark but I know I've done the most I can to reduce the chance of dumping. While I was at it do my dad can have some as he has coeliac's I used spelt flour & bread crumbs so hopefully they will be as tasty as they look.

Hey all. I am currently 5 weeks post op now and sadly I'm still not eating anything really at all. I am one of the few who has according to the hospital taken the slow painful road to recovery. In the weeks since op I eaten one meal that's it but spread over a small fork full hear and there. I was looking forward to Christmas dinner but sadly I cannot eat it this year and will either have nothing or just some soup. Will be hard as like many others used to eat the prawn cocktail then tonnes of food after lol yum. But now unable to. It will be hard but poss may try a tiny bit of turkey will see how it goes.

Morning all
I'll be 4weeks post op on the big day .. But sadly I have to work as I'm a cook so I'll be doing a Christmas dinner for everyone else ... Not looking forward to it ... But I will be coming home to my dinner being cooked for me ... But I will still be on the soft food stage .. So guess just some mash & turkey , veg for me not a big pudding fan .. But just of all are new body's next year .. It's going to be worth it xxx

Linsey

I'm looking forward to the compliments more than the food this year as since I have seen any of my family I've lost over 2st 10b.

We have chipolata sausages from the special butcher down the road for Christmas day lunch with french bread and homemade soup when we get home from church so I will be having the soup. We dress for dinner in the evening which we have around 8pm by candlelight. I'm having a bit of everything, mashed up with a fork and lots of gravy as I'll be on the mash stage. Doubt I'll want pudding as I'm off sweet things anyway but I will be able to have some brandy sauce if I can really fit any in and I want it. Christmas day is spent with my husbands family who live locally.

On Boxing day it's a 2 hour drive down to Mum and Dads in Clacton. She always does a buffet old style, all manner of cold meats, salads, cheeses, bread, salmon mousse, hot and cold savouries, trifles, puddings, jellies, a gingerbread house for the kids filled with tea time presents, Christmas cake, mince pies and of course crackers. This is for lunch and tea. She is making sugar free trifle for me (apart from the little bit in the little bit of sponge) she's also making sugar free cheesecake using her homemade cream cheese using skimmed milk. She said she's making a big pot of homemade veg soup too for when we come back from a brisk walk along the beach. She always makes far too much though there will be 14 of us to scoff it all. I've told her not to worry about me as I will sort myself out and will know what I can or can't eat but you know what Mums are like. She rang me to day to tell me she's pureed chicken and vegetables with gravy and put it in a ramakin dish and topped it with mashed potato so that I will have plenty to choose from. Honestly what is she like.

Kate x

Back