• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Clothes...anyone know Goks number???

lisa x

is very happy!
Hi..
I have vowed I don't care how bad I look I am not going to buy any new clothes until my operation..I have plenty in my wardrobe,and I want to get the use out of them before they are burnt in a ceremony after my operation:D
Well yesterday..I was wondering through Marks and Spencers and commented to my Oh that if you are a size 18 and below the world seems to be your oyster in terms of choices for clothes...

Now I am not really into fashion..mainly because as a teenager I was large and broke so it was a case of buying as cheap as possible as long as it fits..

The realisation hit me in M&S ...I don't know how to dress fashionably...I got a little scared!!:eek:
I have always gone to Evans (and Yours)
Its a case of find a tent that covers bum and belly overhang....
I buy clothes with elastic waist so guaranteed to fit!

I realise I will get used to enjoying shopping as the sizes come down...but I think I need to swat up on goks rights and wrongs of how to dress..:D
I am sure I am not alone in my thinking here!!

i was only saying to my boyfriend yesterday that when I reach target next year I won't know how to dress as a thin person. A couple of weeks ago I was trying to find something in my wardrobe that I could wear with boots and I don't have a thing, all my skirts are long and flowing and I now hate them, and all my trousers look terrible as all the weight has come off my hips and thighs and I look lioke a clown in them apart from one pair of leggings that look great on my slim shapely legs

I've always loved clothes, My sister is in the uSA so I used to regularly go there with a near empty case and come back laden down with more fashionable clothes than I could buy here in big sizes.

However over the last few (3-4) yrs as the weight crept to an all time high, no matter how big the fashinable tent was, it just never looked or felt good.

Over the last few monthes befor surgery I have just been clearing out those ugly "will fit" outfits that I hated and I left in my closet lots of nicer outfits in smaller sizes that I really loved, nice jeans sizes 16 - 20, nicer form fitting skirts rather than the flowing sacks.

Since I have just been rotating a few basics that I could tolerate. Now post op (2 weeks) and after the preop diet and post surgery loss, those nice jeans and bits are starting to fit. I reckon whats in my closet now sshold last me through a significant part of my weight loss journey without having to buy too much more before I reach normality (goal). As things get too big, I'll get some altered along the way if worth while doing so (cheaper than buying new everything) and I'll take stuff out and give to charity as I go along.

What I might start doing is putting aside £20 each week starting this week into my shopping spree fund. Lets face it I could easily have spent £20 + on food and take aways and fags each week prior to my op, that way when my weight stabilises I can shop till my heart is content.

Im quite lucky to have a 28yr old daughter who dresses really lovely to advise me :D People have always said to me that for a fat bird Ive always tried to look my best :eek: so maybe I wont need taking in hand so much! :D (I hope) I aint contacting Gok, my bangers are NOT being plastered over Manchester own Hall thankyou very much :D XX

im the same ive two pants and a few tops to my name refuse to buy anything as i dont feel nice in anything just hope that im not waiting to long for my op (ive only just applied lol). i like your idea zionaka about saving money each week think i will start doing that.

Lord yes ! As I've lost weight I've discovered I'm actually a completely new shape - ie, not the same shape I was when I was last this size. And mentally it's different - for example, being an 18 on the way down is completely different from being an 18 on the way up, so I think you make different choices too. Now I'm getting into 16s I can't believe how much choice I've got now and I suspect I'm developing a new addiction... to retail therapy !!

Girl after my own heart Rose, Ive always had this addiction to retail therapy lol.....Im just going to get worse :D XX

Aha - we found another benefit...
WLS patients boost economic recovery because they shop more afterwards !! Offsets the cost of surgery... Do you think we can get HM Treasury to work this into their financial projections ? :8855:

thanks for your comments guys..
I though I was alone in my fear of changing shape...
(I was wondering if this was another self sabotage thought I am going through!)
I have always been complimented on how I look..but I have always managed to buy tops long enough to cover the huge stomach....
I think the idea of putting money away sounds good(but I will have to wait until after Christmas)
I was intending on doing a share saving thing at work too as I know I will need a tummy tuck...I figure if I can save half of it in 2 years I will be laughing..

I have hated clothes shopping with a passion most of my adult life...I am hoping this will reverse once i have the stamaner to go around the shops and actually be bothered to try stuff on...I hadnt realised how lazy i had got when it came to shopping for myself..after all what choice do I have...
Evans + bold patterns or black tents.....most outfits are expensive (which i dont mind paying for if it made you look nice!)
I was in there yesterday getting some shoes..and the choice of Christmas wear is hideous(IMHO)

Like rose has just said..I have no idea what shape I am....

I don't have girlfriends who would hold my hand..besides everyone has different tastes....again I am yet to know what i like...I am making a vow now though..

"no more hiding away in black smock tops..."

After seeing the 20 different colours small knit jumpers in M&S I want to wear colour....
I guess I will bring some meaning back into ..does my bum look big in this..as it is usually, does my bum fit in this ..lol
x x

Aha - we found another benefit...
WLS patients boost economic recovery because they shop more afterwards !! Offsets the cost of surgery... Do you think we can get HM Treasury to work this into their financial projections ?
LOL....
Weight loss surgery saves the dying high street..I love it
It could work !!!:8855:
xx

The last time I was this size I was about 18!!

Just a couple of years ago then!!!

I went through a phase of wanting to wear what I liked then - it was in the 70's so Laura Ashley was a favourite!!

Its taken me ages to like to go shopping - I had a big bottom then whereas I'm roughly the same size all over now - and I have no idea what suits me - or looks nice!!

I could definitely do with a private Goking!!

Good job my daughters aren't backwards in coming forwards with their opinions!!

In some ways it was easier being large - cos there was no choice!! But don't give me my weight back - it aint welcome!!

xxx

Perhaps we could contact Goks agent and see if he fancies doing a special on wls gals???

EKKKK no way ...as much as i love him..i haven't got the confidence to, as dotty put it.."get my bangers out "
I may feel differently after my op.....it depends what I am left with lol

"its all about the confidence "lol

I feel exactly the same Hun I wear the same kinda clothes day in day out although iv got a walk in wardrobe full of clothes they r all too small :-( I wear black alot too and really would love to wear colour, ppl always say I look nice but that's cus I like a bit of pampering lol hair nails makeup and accessories!!
I was shopping the other day and I thought wen I'm slim how am I gonna know wat to wear but then I looked around and was loving the clothes more to the fact that one day I may get in them!!
I'm 25 and a lot if not all my mates r slim so I'll have them to help me I'm sure.
I think my reason for not enjoying shopping at the moment is bcus I carnt face up facts that I'm this big then the other day I had to find an outfit in like an hour and I said to myself so wat if u have to buy a big size ur doin something about it it's either buy a bigger size or go out in my normal jeans and top so I went for it I went newlook where I mainly shop and got some lovely black jeans and a grey top and grey wedges I had to have a 26 in the bottoms iv never been this size although I have to wear a belt as the fall down but the 24 didn't fit round my legs but I went out that night and felt great but would if felt better in something smaller u know a size 14 or something lol o well maybe nxt yr and I think we should deffo contact gok so he can make us all over x

I've hated clothes shopping for YEARS and still can't bring myself to shop other than in Sainsburys and Asda......

.....but I have a very lovely young friend who now has a (very camp!) boyfriend.....they've promised to take me shopping and style me when I'm ready! Judging by my new SIZE 16 Next dress, it won't be too long! :D

At the moment I have 4 tops and 3 pairs of leggings which fit....everything else I have left (and I've cleared out 90% of my wardrobe) is HUGE!

Must say a couple of weeks ago i ordered a Gok Wan sex kitten corset (underbust variety) from shapely figures in a size 22...i love it! especially as i used to be a size 32+ hahahaha

but i did draw the line at ordering a banger booster....don't think that would help me much lol

also luckily i found a box of my old skirts and things which were bought many years ago at great expense from Camden in London (goes to show my dress style lol) which now fit me again so all is good for clothes for a little while i think hehe

Win win then Michelle.....I quite like the sound of a banger booster as long as it can pick em up off the floor and put em in the cup for me :D XX

awwwwwwww Lisa, I've made some terrible mistakes with clothes from frumpy to tarty, i find the hardest part is dressing for my age. but on the other hand I've got some fantastic outfits as well, and boy do i feel good in them.
got to start all over again now with my winter wardrobe. I've already got two lovely jackets and a pair of boots "up to the knee and NOT extra wide"
PS, L&D offered me a tummy tuck but i said no I'm to old, a pair of tight knickers will do me.

Hi sue...
humm that's interesting..mental note to myself..ask the L& d if I can have a tummy tuck,and not my unsupportive,negative about WLS G.P...thanks for the heads up sue...
How are you this week...have you had any further news in regards to you illness ???

Thanks ladies..I am glad I am not alone in this...

Michelle...i think i may need to invest in some gok stuff..lol i will check them out!..from your pictures you seem to have your own thing going on..i admire that...i have spent to long just trying to fit into my surroundings...i haven't a clue who I am style wise..I am sure I will figure it out ...

Back