• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Coming Out of The Wood Work!!

OneSweet2Many

Hi all,
would like to thanks everyone one here first for unknowingly being informative, inspiring and motivating to someone who never thought they had it in them to make this live changing decision!

A little background...

I'm 29, single mum and first was referred for WLS in 2009. DECLINED! And have been appealing ever since. BMI of 63, but not other health problems.

Same story as many others. Have been overweight from a very young age. Currently I am classed as "super obese", haven't found anything super about it to date!
3 years ago managed to loose 7.5 stones on lighter life. But guess what........
1 month ago I was as my heaviest weight 27 stones and 8 pounds. That was the final straw!
Are the Nhs really waiting for my blood pressure to get dangerously high or for me to become a diabetic or immobile before they agree to help me? I was practically on my knees begging for help. Getting bigger and bigger made me more and more depressed and the jumping through hoops only to be rejected didn't help either!
So I sucked it up and decided to do it myself... I was going to fund my own WLS!!! Full of determination and drive quickly came to the realisation that I actually can't afford it! £10,000 - £15,000? Can't be approved for a loan, have no savings, single parent... Was my dream over before it started?

Googling everything online about WLS and came across this site. I started obsessively reading through threads and found one about surgery abroad.... No I couldn't! Could I?
They were prices I could afford and save up towards fairly quickly. Spoke to my GP about it and he researched it too and was so supportive in my decision. He is organising psychological support and dietetic input too which I'm really grateful for.

Weeks of research, phone calls, emails later my decision was made and confirmed. Now this decision is massive for me... Im having a gastric sleeve!!
Going to have my surgery in Czech Republic on 4/09/2012. Scared to death but excited too. Have to buy 2 seats for the plane cause i wont fit into one, but I don't care... Where as before I refused to fly because of embarrassment.

I have already started a low cal diet in prep for the op and will do the milk diet 4 weeks before I go. So far I have lost 25 lbs.

So here is the beginning of my journey! I know that I have a long way to go. A life time of habits that need to change! But I'm excited to make the changes for a healthier life. I know this is going to be a lot of hard work and I am prepared for that.

Thank you all for putting your hopes, feelings and fears on here to help me through my journey...

So here it begins....

Can I ask where your from ? No PCT should decline your referral with a BMI of 63. Oh hello BTW and good luck with your journey :)

I had my surgery in Czech with cosmetic bliss. Best decision on ever made. Good luck xx

Paula Lewis said:
Can I ask where your from ? No PCT should decline your referral with a BMI of 63. Oh hello BTW and good luck with your journey :)

Berkshire PCT, because I don't have any co morbidities...they keep rejecting it. No mind...Of abroad I go!!

Just looked on the BOSPA site and Berkshire seem to have very strict criteria.
Lots of luck with your surgery.
Em xxxxx

Good luck. I've had a sleeve. Love it.

Hello and welcome
Keep on reading the posts, they will really help to make your journey less scary, i learnt everything i know from this site.

Kim

Best wishes with your September surgery, OneSweet2Many!

good luck :) i hate to say this but surely with bmi of 63 are you sure you don't even have sleep apnea or type two diabetes please don't think i'm being rude saying that it's just i was turned down twice then finally accepted with these and my bmi was 54 xx

PCT & Post code lottery is so unfair. Glad your staying strong and positive, September will be here before you know it. You have time to get to grips with all those questions, this site is my second home x

good luck :) i hate to say this but surely with bmi of 63 are you sure you don't even have sleep apnea or type two diabetes please don't think i'm being rude saying that it's just i was turned down twice then finally accepted with these and my bmi was 54 xx

My BMI was initially 75 and I was refused for many years as I had/have nothing wrong with me that is caused or worsened by my weight.

Anyway, good luck with your op, September will be here before you know it.

angiemason said:

Hi, no I'm very healthy. Cholesterol is normal, glucose normal, liver normal... I snore but no apnea... I have a very active job and carry my weight very well. People are surprised when I tell them how much I weigh. I think the longer I leave it the more likely it is these things will develop. I don't want to wait till then before I decide to do something about it! Hence.... WLS.

Jamast said:
My BMI was initially 75 and I was refused for many years as I had/have nothing wrong with me that is caused or worsened by my weight.

Anyway, good luck with your op, September will be here before you know it.

It is a shame that the NHS are willing to wait until you develop an illness before they will offer WLS. I know I'm not owed anything but it frustrates me! I want to do something before I get to that point. But I'm lucky I've got plan B I suppose... Some can't choose to find it themselves.
Thanks for you support.

Hi & Welcome here,
You have obviously read here already that we're mostly a bunch of miserable old hasbeens looking for our youth again, don't worry about that it can be fixed without needing NHS approval or costing a fortune.

Now my personal view is that a bit of a laugh at ourselves now and again can be great therapy.

I hope you get approval soon, so we can all help you if we can to get through this minor weight blip and you'll be on you're way to a very happy future.

Very Best Wishes Victoria xx

wildchild said:
Hi & Welcome here,
You have obviously read here already that we're mostly a bunch of miserable old hasbeens looking for our youth again, don't worry about that it can be fixed without needing NHS approval or costing a fortune.

Now my personal view is that a bit of a laugh at ourselves now and again can be great therapy.

I hope you get approval soon, so we can all help you if we can to get through this minor weight blip and you'll be on you're way to a very happy future.

Very Best Wishes Victoria xx

Thanks Victoria for your support. I will heed your advice and laugh at myself once daily!!

We are here to help each other laughing together and remember no question is a stupid question as its probably been asked before somewhere along the line as I said we're all old farts here sufferring memory loss most of the time how do you think we got fat in the first place?

Simples really when you think of it we'd all forgotten we had already eaten so just ate again as we like food then one day we put our brains in gear and joined here so now we're all happily waffling most of the time but sometimes the memory is good and we remember collectively what we all should have done years ago before banging on the dreaded weight. Good luck in your or our quest honey. Victoria x

Last edited:
I got an email back from him today and he said that the earliest he could do surgery is september. In his last email he said earliest he could do surgery was august. This is kind of annoying as I don't wish to wait so long for surgery.

i hope i didn't offend anyone :) good luck and it's only two months to get peace of mind at last and a happy you x

Back