• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Compression garments

wizzbang

Hi everybody,
I was wondering if anybody had used compression garments post surgery to try support the skin?
I know I am going to have excess skin to deal with due to age and a lack of elasticity and wondered if compressing the skin all the time through the weight loss process might be beneficial.

Lynne x

Hi Lynne, I've bought some 'magic' knickers, support garments from M & S and I'm starting to use these... I hope to just use them when I go out... may help... we'll see... love and hugs xxx

Thanks Bev,
I have heard that they help with circulation to the skin especially in older skin. I am just looking around the net to see what is said on other sites.
I will keep you posted, please keep me posted on yours.
Lynne x

I will love, I'll be trying them later today... I know others have used them, but it's a good idea for that extra 'support' that we need. Love and hugs xxx

I bought some magic knickers too, ones that go down over my thighs. They're too big now, but I love my bodyshaper tights - I feel really snug and smooth in them.

I wouldnt of felt comfy in them right after wls,but I have bought some now I feel healed and swelling has gone down.Still quite big sizes to hold more than squeeze!I have smaller sizes from weightloss 2 years ago so will work my way towards them.Maz x

I have read about the positive effects after bariatric surgery regarding blood circulation to the skin and the possibility that the effect helps with the elasticity of the skin.
I think i will get some but will ask at the hospital first.
Thanks everybody x
Lynne x

Interesting...I've never heard of this before. Apart from after plastics. I do like my clothes to fit snug though.

Mixxy what are compression garments? Please do let me know! The only ones I have are a trinny and suzanna suit that once I am in it anything excess oozes out of the top and the legs!! I look like everything from stomach up rises up (mu chest inflates by three sizes!!) and then my bum and legs look great . . . . but where they stop at the thigh I then get a dirty great ridge! Couldnt even wear them under jeans they would be really obvious I think!!

Instead I wear 40 denier tights and pull them up to my bra!!!! Magic and cheap too!!

Hi there hsmel.
Thats what I do with my tights, but the reason I asked the question is I am wondering if compression garments make a difference to the way the skin shrinks in the long term post op.
I'm not looking for a trinny and suzannah fix lol. I know what you mean about the bulges lol.
It is to do with keeping the skin healthy as you lose weight.
Lynne x

Hi Lynne, I've been wearing a compression t-shirt every day since my op and definately think that they help tighten the skin.

I've bought various ones from America that cost on average £25 each but to be honest the best ones have been 'Bodysculpt' from Asda - £7. Be aware that they are made for men and will tighten the chest as well as the stomach, back etc. (I'm now an 'A' cup from a 'D' cup, so that gives you an idea of how much they tighten you up). I find the length of them, especially in the arm area much better that the more expensive ones.
I've also worn the ladies 'Bodysculpt' 'shorts' from Asda and found them good too.

I think that combined with exercise and daily moisturising they make a difference.

Ahhh that sounds positive, thank you very much. I will get myself some so I can start to wear them straight away. Anything to help my skin along during the weight loss process will be a bonus.
Thanks again.
Lynne x

I got a few of these sleeveless ones that I wear every day under any top. Keeps everything looking tip top ;)

Nike-Pro-Vapor-Sleeveless-Mens-Football-Shirt-359250_648_A.png

I've got a few long sleeve ones for the cold and when I'm out on the bike

Canterbury_Long_Sleeve_Armourfit_2.jpg

And the tights I wear when I've done a long ride. Soak in the bath then put these on. Helps blood flow to the muscles. Like TED stockings but nicer :)

womens_comprewssion_thermal_tights__17998_zoom.jpg

ive seen these 'magic' things in tesco, but havent bought any cos i dont like being 'closed in' or 'restricted', even now i dont tend to wear my clothes too fitted because of it, my jeans are lose around my waist when i start to wear them, and my daughter insists that theyre too big for me. do these things make you feel like that, or are they really comfy, if i thought i could wear them, i would get some of them. mixxy, those t shirt things that u wear, are they very tight, and what are they made off?

Hi everybody,
I was wondering if anybody had used compression garments post surgery to try support the skin?
I know I am going to have excess skin to deal with due to age and a lack of elasticity and wondered if compressing the skin all the time through the weight loss process might be beneficial.

Lynne x

Hi Lynne
to be honest, it isnt something i have even thought about, but it actually makes sense, i might be something i might have to try! x

mixxy, those t shirt things that u wear, are they very tight, and what are they made off?

The Nike ones can be got very cheap if you look for offers. £8 I paid for the last ones. They are very tight but very thin and strong.

An athlete's secret weapon, the Nike Pro Ultimate Long Sleeve training shirt features engineered DRI-FIT stretch fabric for maximum comfort and moisture management, Zoned ventilation and a seamless fit.

A tight fit without restricting movement with an abundance of technological qualities makes this performance top the perfect baselayer.

Additional features include:

Zone engineered structures enhance breathability and comfort while providing unrivalled freedom of movement,
Seamless construction offers reduced chafing and added comfort.
Nike DriFIT fabric delivers superior moisture management to keep you feeling fresh throughout your sport,
Knit-in vents maximise airflow around your body,
Nike Pro signature logo on neckline.

Fabric: 71% Polyester / 16% Nylon / 13% Elastane.

dawny they look like they are made from a speiacl type of laytex they would be too tight for you next time you go to the trafford centre have a look in sports direct or on sportsdirect with a dot before com

Well I am off to get one of those tops! I already look like I have no chest now so what the heck!!! They look quite good and if they do your skin good I will give them a try. To be honest I have been very lucky with my skin, little bit on the tummy (looks like a deflated balloon but no worse than after childbirth!) and my arms and legs are a little 'saggy' where they were at their widest. Hoping that exercise will help in the long term but realise at my age that may be a little folorn hope!

Not that I care that much now I can wear size 12 jeans!!! Will probably keep most of me under clothes except on hols!

In addition to the support 'magic' garments I'm wearing... I'm regularly having a 'horse rub' of cellulite creams... our local support group mentioned Avon having a body cellulite, firming chest and bust cream and I'm using that, cost effective and effective... the recommendation at our wls meeting was right.
My skin is feeling like it has less cellulite.

I ask hubby to help me with a double handed heavy massage rub since I struggle to turn my neck and spine and it's really helped... may as well use him as pay salon prices.. haha...

But anything that helps to break down the fat under the skin and then using garments for support I do believe it.

I love your photo's below Mixxy... I'm not at your stage by years, but just starting with the 'magic' hold range especially Asda's range is such a great help for me.

Love to you all xxx

Back