• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Tummy Tuck and Lipo Booked - Advice Needed

What about an A line style summer dress that hangs from your shoulders & skims the rest of the body loosely so you have nothing to worry about hitting your dressings other than your knickers?

Hi Penelope - yes I have thought about buying a dress but what to keep costs down as much as possible. I'm keeping my eyes out for something suitable. If not I'll resort to my original plan of yoga pants and a fleece zip up top. It'll just look like I've done a really punishing gym session :eek: :D

Try eBay or your local charity shop this time of year the elasticated top sundresses with or without straps are more easily found for not to much if your lucky. But at least you have a sensible fall back if not. May I suggest a small pillow or cushion for between you & any seatbelts in cars or planes depending how far from home you're having you op. I've not got to looking into plastics yet but that was a godsend on my journey home post bypass surgery to stop the belt pressing to had on my tum & wounds.

Try eBay or your local charity shop this time of year the elasticated top sundresses with or without straps are more easily found for not to much if your lucky. But at least you have a sensible fall back if not. May I suggest a small pillow or cushion for between you & any seatbelts in cars or planes depending how far from home you're having you op. I've not got to looking into plastics yet but that was a godsend on my journey home post bypass surgery to stop the belt pressing to had on my tum & wounds.

Thanks for the advice. I have a 3.5 hour journey home (I live north of Inverness) so this sounds like a very good idea indeed. I must admit I am NOT looking forward to that journey. Hopefully I will be dosed up to the eyeballs on painkillers and will just let the set back a bit and get a good kip.

Well my preparation continues. Hubby came home with a blow up neck travel pillow thingy yesterday. Bless him. That will help on the journey back. Also sorted a flat long pillow to go round my middle so the seat belt doesn't hurt too much if its resting on my scars.

Also got another nightshirt which opens completely down the front for easy access. Its not the most flattering but its very soft and comfy and will do the job well. Looking forward to a ceremonial burning of it already though :).

Also a local chain of shoe shops are closing so popped in and found some great shoes which have a velcro fastening but are gorgeous (exactly the same as a pair of Rocket Dogs I was eyeing up but over half the price). They will be great after the op as I can just pop them on and not have to fiddle about with doing them up. I did consider pumps but knowing the Scottish "Summer" (ha ha) something a little more substantial will be the order of the day.

So pretty much sorted out on the prep front now. I think this is my way of coping with it. There's nothing I can do about the op itself so getting all the other aspects under some sort of control eases my mind. Not long till the day now - June 27th ... and counting!:eek:

Well just checking in as the 27th draws ever closer. Just this week left at work then I have a week's leave to sort out bits and pieces.

Pre-op assessment is on Monday 24th and then I travel down to Edinburgh on Weds. I have to be at the hospital for 10am on the morning of my op. Getting butterflies just thinking about it. Hubbie is pleased though as the hospital has free wifi and teas/coffees for a named relative - so that's him sorted!

I have all my information through now and have read it through once. Went into far too much detail for my liking but it is very thorough so shouldn't complain. Had to fill out a 4 page questionnaire about my health and then loads of questions about how I will cope back home. Its good and quite reassuring that the assessment covers this much detail, although I was losing the will to live by the 4th page! :)

Seeing Dizzy's photos have really spurred me on though. I am so impressed at the healing rate in such a short space of time. Fingers crossed for a similar result. I haven't really had that much experience of surgery over the years (thankfully) so not too sure if my body is a quick recoverer or not!

Quick update. Cost confirmed at £5.5k for the op. To recap its a fleur de lis procedure with lipo to my flanks (what a horrible word :)).

On my preparation I have purchased a couple of button down the front nightshirts on advice from here, a soft cup bra for comfort and some dignity and one of those V shaped pillow things from Argos to help when I'm back at home. Now I just need to work out what the heck I'm going to wear when I leave the hospital and check into the hotel. So far I'm thinking a tunic type top and a pair of lightweight sports type yoga pants which are easy to get on and off and won't dig into my middle section. I do appreciate I'm going to look a complete sight but I would at least like to look one up from a bag lady!! LOL :)

That's a bloody good price! I wonder how much they would charge for a booby lift!? Xxx

Well just checking in as the 27th draws ever closer. Just this week left at work then I have a week's leave to sort out bits and pieces.

Pre-op assessment is on Monday 24th and then I travel down to Edinburgh on Weds. I have to be at the hospital for 10am on the morning of my op. Getting butterflies just thinking about it. Hubbie is pleased though as the hospital has free wifi and teas/coffees for a named relative - so that's him sorted!

I have all my information through now and have read it through once. Went into far too much detail for my liking but it is very thorough so shouldn't complain. Had to fill out a 4 page questionnaire about my health and then loads of questions about how I will cope back home. Its good and quite reassuring that the assessment covers this much detail, although I was losing the will to live by the 4th page! :)

Seeing Dizzy's photos have really spurred me on though. I am so impressed at the healing rate in such a short space of time. Fingers crossed for a similar result. I haven't really had that much experience of surgery over the years (thankfully) so not too sure if my body is a quick recoverer or not!

Awe thank you hunny!! Hey still doing good I'm 4 weeks post op tomorrow n thinking of going for a run! Lol
I can't wait to hear all about yours I'm so excited for you xxx

Awe thank you hunny!! Hey still doing good I'm 4 weeks post op tomorrow n thinking of going for a run! Lol
I can't wait to hear all about yours I'm so excited for you xxx

Thanks Dizzy. Can't believe you are thinking of running yet. :eek: Still I'm sure you'll be sensible and stop if it starts to hurt or feel awkward, won't ya! :D

That's a bloody good price! I wonder how much they would charge for a booby lift!? Xxx

I was impressed with the price as well as thought it might be nearer the £6.5k mark. But I've doubled checked and got it all in writing!

I'm getting it done by BeYou group who are all consultants in the NHS as well as doing private stuff. They work out of the Spire Murrayfield Hospital in Edinburgh. You should ask them for a rough idea of prices and then do a comparison with closer to home. You could always fly to Edinburgh!

Good luck with everything Cat_Lover_Sue. I am hoping to have a tummy tuck and lipo with Ken Stewart at Murrayfield as that's where I had my weight-loss surgeries. I am hoping for the end of the year. My friend had her TT and lipo with him last year and can only speak very, very highly of him.

I will be thinking of you xxx

Good luck with everything Cat_Lover_Sue. I am hoping to have a tummy tuck and lipo with Ken Stewart at Murrayfield as that's where I had my weight-loss surgeries. I am hoping for the end of the year. My friend had her TT and lipo with him last year and can only speak very, very highly of him.

I will be thinking of you xxx

Thank you so much Sashie. I really liked Mr Stewart when I met him and so did hubbie. Its good to know your friend has had the same op and has recommended him. The Murrayfield looks great. I've only even stayed in hospital once in my life so I'm a little apprehensive, but looking at the pics and the pack they send, this place looks more hotel like than a hospital - which can only be a good thing in my book! :)

Will let everyone know how I get on. x

Well pre-op done today and Edinburgh bound on Wednesday. Apprehensive about Thursday but just want it doing now. I think I will finally relax when I am walking down to theatre and everything's ready to go! Keep thinking of things that could go wrong at the moment - hubby still has a pretty bad cold although mainly gone to a cough now. I've a bit of a sniffle and tickly cough which is annoying more than anything but I just don't want it to develop any further. Nothing was said at the pre-op so clearly I sound ok. Step Dad being the voice of doom today said that they wouldn't allow my husband into the hospital with a cough like that!! Thanks - like I needed to hear that. Can't beat old folk for bringing you down to earth with a bump!! :)

Hi Sue
Just a wee note to say all the best for Thursday. As a fellow Scot I am following your progress very closely. I had my sleeve done at the Murrayfield and the staff were lovely. I am hoping to have TT and boobs done there sometime soon myself. . . .

Take care

Fiona x

Hi,

I've just joined the site but wanted to reply and say I hope you are doing ok! I bet you're glad it's over and you can get on with your recovery.

I'm having a full TT & lipo with Ken on Aug 15th - like you I probably wont "relax" until I'm walking to theatre, I was let down by my first surgeon however was very glad when I ended up at Spire as they were far more professional.

All the best for a speedy recovery and results that you love! :) x

Hi Cat lover Sue, I had a tummytuck may years ago and have never looked back.
Best choice is nighty as you do not want any pressure on your belly, the tight bandages do the job. you also will not be getting in and out of bed easily so wont be flashing anyone soft cotton nickers are best, very loose elastic high in the middle as you do not want the elastic to be on the cut, which is very low.
As for compression garments, this is very much a surgeons choice, and differs, clinical studies have not shown any benefit to the final outcome and if they compress too tightly they could cause deep venous thrombosis and slower resolution and healing. The main reason for their use was the thinking that they would assist with reducing swelling and promoted the adhesion of the tissue to the abdominal wall. No difference has been found between control groups and patients wearing the garments. If you feel you would like some support, you could use some spandes garments, considering they do not pinch or nip you anywhere and do not cut off circulation. The best precaution is taking it easy and letting the healing process go on. Also pay special attention to your nutrition and vitamins.
hope this helps.
Feel free to ask me anything else you want to know, I am in the fortunate position of having had the surgery and being in the health care industy with a passion for this topic. Watch you tube as well. As with this site the posters are not experts but share their own experiences. No one forum can answer all your concerns and questions it has to be a combination of your team, family bloggers, friends, family internet and own experience.
Good luck

Hi Everyone – just to let you know I had my fleur de lis TT last Thursday 27 June. The op itself went well but unfortunately I didn’t recover as well as expected from the surgery. I ended up having to stay and extra day and night in hospital as I was unable to stand without blacking out. Talk of a blood transfusion at one point as I apparently lost a lot of blood in the op, but thankfully I ended up not needing to have one. Just not a good experience with the anaesthetic which is strange cause the last couple of times I have had one, I have not really had any bother.

Have to say the staff at the Spire Murrayfield were amazing and looked after me so well. They were also great with my husband and keeping us both as comfy as possible.

One downside of staying in bed is that I have a really bad heat rash at the back of my legs where the tops of my compression socks were and also across my back and under my arm pits. Its slowly going away but my poor skin is red raw in places.

My wound is feeling ok. Be prepared for a very hot middle – all the healing I suppose. But I have to say (touch wood) I have not had anywhere near as much pain as I thought I would. Yes its uncomfortable and the slightest thing is difficult to accomplish (who knew pressing the top of a liquid soap bottle would hurt your core J) but I am managing my pain with paracetamol and ibruprofen. Pain relief in hospital was fine as I had Tramadol and a slow release Morphine tablet on top of the standard pain killers. So all in all this aspect has been bearable.

I am finding concentration difficult. Just yesterday I managed to read a one page magazine article for the first time. Even sending a text over the last few days I have found hard going. Think that’s the effects of the anaesthetic.

Going back to see my Consultant next Thursday (so 2 weeks post op) for a check over but so far so good. Fingers and toes crossed for the next few days to be good. Yesterday I managed to stand up straight which is great and I can shuffle around and get up and down stairs. Also no bother from Monday afternoon using the loo by myself and not needing a chaperone.

My tip for this op is not to have it unless you have good leg strength as you tend to over-compensate for the lack of core muscles by using your legs much more. Also don’t under-estimate the fact you will be able to do very little when you get home. Do not over fill the kettle for example as you won’t be able to lift it! Also just typing this and having both arms out in front of me is killing my shoulders! Jeez I didn’t realise the little things would be so difficult. Still onwards and upwards and I have no regrets.

I have seen my tummy and so far I am happy, especially the horizontal work done. The vertical wound looks a little odd but I think this is from a bit of fluid retention so things not looking as flat as I would like. But there is a definite improvement! Oh and they removed 4lbs from me J

I will check in over the next few days and will sort some pics to put on. Hubby took lots J Hope this is helpful and I will answer any questions and put more detail when I feel up to it. XX

Wow fantastic news hun! Cant wait to hear more updates and pics! Still waiting on my date unfortunately so hoping it wont be long xxx

well done, sending lots of hugs, I have had 3 C-sections, gall bladder out and a band and I know how hard they were and a FDL TT is definitely bigger to deal with....bless you. Hope you feel better soon, and take care.

Back