• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Constipation

PinkyButtonz

Everything was going well till 2 days ago. I know it maybe due to me not drinking enough water, which I'm working on.

What can I take for it as I don't think I can wait till dr's opens on Monday. I'm hoping someone can suggest something I can buy over the counter.

Thanks

Pinky xx

Everything was going well till 2 days ago. I know it maybe due to me not drinking enough water, which I'm working on.

What can I take for it as I don't think I can wait till dr's opens on Monday. I'm hoping someone can suggest something I can buy over the counter.

Thanks

Pinky xx

Hi Pinky, soz hun ur suffering from constipation, i searched the forum for ya and here is a link posted 3 weeks ago by Chucky with quite a few different options for over the counter stuff, hope this helps ya xxx

http://www.wlsurgery.com/wlsurgery/122845-constipation.html

Heya Pinky

Being as we have the same dietician and surgeon, I know they suggest lactulose. You can buy this over the counter and it is effective but just a word of warning, as it contains fructose do not take the stated recommended dose of 2 x 5ml spoonfulls just take 1 x 5ml, it works for me and the only time I think the sugars in it were a problem were when I took the 2 spoons.

I was very afraid of dumping prior to taking it but I have to say I neednt have worried. Also I dont take it every day but every other day instead.

I know this is another one of those things where the advice given varies from surgeon to surgeon, and of course if you are diabetic there may be a problem too but as your diabeties seems to have corrected itself since surgery I would imagine it ok, just check with the pharmacist before buying it.

Xx

hi sorry you are suffering. I was given lactulose by gp but bariatric nurse to me not to touch it and to pour it down sink, i took senakot worked great as it gentle. Gp now prescribed movecal which i take when i need them. Good luck and hope it gets sorted

Thanks everyone,

I will be seeing my dr tomorrow. Not keen on taking lactulose, though I've not taken any diabetes meds since the day before op. Not sure how it would affect my sugar level, that have been great so far.

Pinky xx

one thing i find is working for me is freshly squeezed orange juice .. Watered down half and half... no probs if i have some each day

I would suggest increasing your fluid intake massively, and starting with senna at night, however it stimulates your bowel and it *can* cause pain in some people.

If that doesn't work, I would move on to 200mg sodium docusate.

I wouldn't take lactulose due to the sugar, however it does work well, and when used in conjunction with one of the above it works well (simply, one stimulates the bowel, lactulose sort of lubricates it).

Movicol should be a last resort, and only used short term. If you need it temporarily, you should be also looking at dietry changes. You need to drink *a lot* of water with this. And after a bypass you actually consume such little food, it could give you diarrhoea so be careful.

Good luck

Rx

After speaking to the dietician I went to the dr's and got some sugar free Senakot.
I've not been able to eat since yesterday and even liquids have been making me more uncomfortable and sick. Let hope Senakot does the trick when I take it tonight or I may need dynamite lol.

Pinky xx

Thanks Pinky, this has helped me a lot.

At the moment, im only 'going' every 5days or so, and i can feel quite uncomfortable.. :sigh:

I had a glass of pure orange juice yesterday, and lo & behold i let some loose 2day.. :D

I'll keep on the fluid intake and i'm hoping i go more regular soon.

Thanks everyone for their advise. xx

I thought because I was having some mashed banana each day that would help. If I think back to what may of started this off it maybe because I stopped having diluted fruit juice. Or maybe its revenge for dumping last thursday lol.

I've started back on the juice so hopeful a long with the senakot things will get moving lol.

Thanks Pinky, this has helped me a lot.

At the moment, im only 'going' every 5days or so, and i can feel quite uncomfortable.. :sigh:

I had a glass of pure orange juice yesterday, and lo & behold i let some loose 2day.. :D

I'll keep on the fluid intake and i'm hoping i go more regular soon.

Thanks everyone for their advise. xx

Back