• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Constipation

Deets

Hello all,

just wondered if anyone has suffered from constipation post op? If you did, how have you managed/improved it? :kissass:

This is all so new to me...ive never had problems getting down to business!! Ive been so focused on getting my protein in, that everything else has taken a back step (eg fruit and veg).

My poor booty can't cope anymore so all advice gratefully received! :gen147:

x

Apart from the first week where I was the opposite :eek: I have been constipated lots since surgery! The GP prescribed be Lactulose but I havnt used it yet....TBH IM scared to incase it makes me dump!! Ive relied on having lots of fruit and veg.....its not cured me completely but its made it a little easier :D I also have a few sugar free polos and sugar free sula sweets if Im struggling and they have a bit of a laxative effect :D XX

What about a glug of prune juice every morning? Is that allowed?
Lynne x

Deets said:
Hello all,

just wondered if anyone has suffered from constipation post op? If you did, how have you managed/improved it? :kissass:

This is all so new to me...ive never had problems getting down to business!! Ive been so focused on getting my protein in, that everything else has taken a back step (eg fruit and veg).

My poor booty can't cope anymore so all advice gratefully received! :gen147:

x

I actually ground up some sennokot tablets this morning and swigged them down with milk, in the vain hope that might work, as I'm 9 days post op. I'll let you know if it works later!

I find drinking warm milk or milky coffee and have cereal such as weetabix with milk for breakfast for a few days is the best laxative for me. Post bypass.

Love and hugs xxx

I spoke to Debs as I suffered from this too, she said a mild laxative was fine, but I found the glycerin supositories - yeah the up your bum ones - worked alot better for me.

I've also added sweetcorn into the things that I cook to encourage me that way too.

How's the rest of it going? furry teeth still or have they gone now.

thanks guys! ive got movicol but havent taken it yet, id prefer getting things moving along naturally :D

Feeling good Andrea! Furry teeth going this week! i can feel the difference ;) Think its the chewing of food thats helping me now!

Lost 5lbs this week that im chuffed with!

Honestly its all going really well - im almost afraid to say it loud! apart from monitoring my protein, i dont worry about calories etc so it doesnt feel like any sort of hassle. Just in a happy place at the moment!

Cant wait to loose a few more stones! How are you getting on?

x

Hi hun. Have you tried orange juice? Hubby can have it diluted with water, and I know it always gets me going (even thoug I haven't had the op) when I feel the need for some assisstance! lol xx

I'm high as a kite!!!

Just had a lovely realaxing morning including a soak in the bath and top top it all, decided it was time to start trying on those clothes that I'd bought over the years in 16s when I was really a 20.

They are really starting to look good now, the majority I can now do up and within another few weeks I hope to be wearing them out not just infront of the mirror!!! I had a gorgeous evening gown for my 40th birthday which I did have to squeeze into on the day, it now looks alot better than it did then. Now all I need is a party to wear it to, whens your next one? lol

Constipation......watch the Senekot, it can be a bit harsh....I tried one tablet...nothing...took another....I had a nasty incident in Ikea, didn't quite make the loo! It was all VERY sudden and I couldn't move fast enough! Very embarrassing!

Try to eat some fruit....also 1 small glass of juice counts toward a fruit portion, but I'd water it down because of potential dumping. I water mine down 50/50) I like orange but prune juice has been fine too.

I also have 0% fat Actimel yoghurt drinks; the probiotic helps keep me regular. They're no sugar too, so safe for bypassers.

Movicol is good and gentle...if you've tried everything 'natural' and sill no 'movement'....I have to resort to this VERY occasionally.
You can also add Benefibre to your food, that helped me a lot in the early days.

But the best remedy is plenty of fluid. I always know if I haven't been drinking enough because I get constipated. Get glugging as much as you can...oh no, sipping I mean! But sip about 2 litres!

Please avoid senokot and over the counter laxatives until a good couple of months post op unless recommended by a professional. Your intestines need time to heal and adapt first.

Medically movicol is the best thing, you can start with a low dose and build up if necessary. The glycerol suppositories are good if you feel a need to go but can't physically manage to. Lactulose can cause dumping in some people so be very careful with it and if possible opt for movicol instead.

To prevent constipation and the runs take 1-2 tsp of benefibre daily and plenty of water. Benefibre is brilliant post op for keeping you regular.

Food wise prune juice is better than orange as it is lower in sugar, but sip slowly and stop as soon as you start to feel funny as it can cause dumping.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I'm high as a kite!!!
I had a gorgeous evening gown for my 40th birthday which I did have to squeeze into on the day, it now looks alot better than it did then. Now all I need is a party to wear it to, whens your next one? lol

We'll have to arrange our own partay!!

Constipation......watch the Senekot, it can be a bit harsh....I tried one tablet...nothing...took another....I had a nasty incident in Ikea, didn't quite make the loo! It was all VERY sudden and I couldn't move fast enough! Very embarrassing!

Try to eat some fruit....also 1 small glass of juice counts toward a fruit portion, but I'd water it down because of potential dumping. I water mine down 50/50) I like orange but prune juice has been fine too.

I also have 0% fat Actimel yoghurt drinks; the probiotic helps keep me regular. They're no sugar too, so safe for bypassers.

Movicol is good and gentle...if you've tried everything 'natural' and sill no 'movement'....I have to resort to this VERY occasionally.
You can also add Benefibre to your food, that helped me a lot in the early days.

But the best remedy is plenty of fluid. I always know if I haven't been drinking enough because I get constipated. Get glugging as much as you can...oh no, sipping I mean! But sip about 2 litres!

thanks Grace. Maybe it is a water thing - this week ive not really been drinking as much as i should :eek:

Please avoid senokot and over the counter laxatives until a good couple of months post op unless recommended by a professional. Your intestines need time to heal and adapt first.

Medically movicol is the best thing, you can start with a low dose and build up if necessary. The glycerol suppositories are good if you feel a need to go but can't physically manage to. Lactulose can cause dumping in some people so be very careful with it and if possible opt for movicol instead.

To prevent constipation and the runs take 1-2 tsp of benefibre daily and plenty of water. Benefibre is brilliant post op for keeping you regular.

Food wise prune juice is better than orange as it is lower in sugar, but sip slowly and stop as soon as you start to feel funny as it can cause dumping.

cheers Shelbell :)

dottychic said:
Im confused lol....nothing new there then! Does Benefibre make you constipated or make you go??? XX

Neither, it basically regulates you and stops you getting constipated or getting the runs.

Hi, I have the same problem too. I use Senokot tablets....There really tiny. I take one occasionally before bed and VOILA! in the morning I deliver. LOL. Hope this helps, Jose. xx

I was hideously constipated for about a month or two after the op, Im not now thankfully. Call your team they will advise you better than we can as they know your medical history etc.

I have contacted my medical team, and they've given me some advice - im here just because i like to know how everyone else dealt with it (if they've ever had it). Youve all been so helpful and im getting some good advice!

thanking you x

Good glad you have, people seem to mistake here for medical advice sometimes thats all x

I couldnt stand movicol at all, I had lactulose, make sure you are drinking enough fluids, your bowel movements will be harder if you arent taking in enough fluids. I also used glycerine suppositories, they were the most help.

Back