• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Consultation day tomorrow...

Hi everyone, Hope you are all well.

I have got my initial consultation tomorrow at the Claremont private hospital, Sheffield with Mr Ackroyd.

Just a plea really for any help or advice regarding this appointment, what am I likely to get asked and also, what questions should I ask the surgeon?

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

John :)

hi everyone.please could i beg some advice too.ive got my meeting with the consultant tommorrow,ive acheived the weightloss asked of me ,but i am so nervous.i dont know what to expect ,can anyone help.im waiting to have gastric bypass and am so scared of something getting in the way.good look to all the others going through the same.
take care
michelle.

Hi john just wanted to say good luck for ur big day tomorrow, start of the new you and also seeing ur lovely baby too :D x

Hi John

How did you get on on Monday? Hope all is good.

Hi, Really sorry, I have only just spotted this message!!

I was gutted about my consultation.....Basically I am much heavier than I thought, so my plans went out of the window!

Mr Ackroyd advice was for me to have the sleeve, which terrifyed me!!

So confused right now! :(

John

I'm not sure of the facts around the gastric band and if there is a certain limitation to how big you can be before the band isn't really a viable option. I know I was told that a band would not work for me because of my weight but to be honest I really wanted the sleeve but was told no because of hernias and reflux issues. Quite happy to be bypassed now .. Just can't wait as my stress levels are at an all time high waiting to find out if final funding has been granted and a date to proceed. It's a roller coaster ride hun and sometimes we have to be guided by our team ... Good luck hun x

I'm not sure of the facts around the gastric band and if there is a certain limitation to how big you can be before the band isn't really a viable option. I know I was told that a band would not work for me because of my weight but to be honest I really wanted the sleeve but was told no because of hernias and reflux issues. Quite happy to be bypassed now .. Just can't wait as my stress levels are at an all time high waiting to find out if final funding has been granted and a date to proceed. It's a roller coaster ride hun and sometimes we have to be guided by our team ... Good luck hun x

Aww, Thanks for your reply. I am interested in your comment about reflex...

I have been on tablets for 12 years for acid reflux / heartburn, I take 30mg of Lansoprazole, daily. I have tried not to take them but I cant last more that 12 hours without acid pain. I told my surgeon all of this but in his words, he said " the sleeve would be perfect for you"

If I go throught with the sleeve I hope I don't have any future problems with acid or it gets worse!

John x

Hi, Really sorry, I have only just spotted this

I was gutted about my consultation.....Basically I am much heavier than I thought, so my plans went out of the window!

Mr Ackroyd advice was for me to have the sleeve, which terrifyed me!!

So confused right now! :(

John

Hi John
Back to the drawing board then? It's disappointing when you've done so much thinking and planning. However it could be worse they could go ahead knowing it isn't right for you, at least you know that whatever happens next you are fully informed. Try not to be too downhearted. Use the forum to speak to sleevers and find out more about recovery time etc. I hope your baby scan went well. You must be experiencing so many mixed emotions.

Hi John
Back to the drawing board then? It's disappointing when you've done so much thinking and planning. However it could be worse they could go ahead knowing it isn't right for you, at least you know that whatever happens next you are fully informed. Try not to be too downhearted. Use the forum to speak to sleevers and find out more about recovery time etc. I hope your baby scan went well. You must be experiencing so many mixed emotions.

Hi again :)

Back to the drawing board indeed, doing all the mind draining research on the sleeve!! :confused:

Regarding the baby scan, everything went perfectly thank you, which is the most important thing for me :) but yeah your right, My emotions are all over the place at min!

John x

It is can be an emotional roller coaster John, especially at the start of it. So many things & people to consider and if you are anything like me at the moment you study everything as regards the procedures.
I was on Oomperazole twice daily prior to the balloon and they on the whole controlled my reflux very well for over 12yrs. Since the balloon I have been plagued by attacks that were never ending. I was taken of the Oomperazole and given Lansoprazole 30mg twice daily. They helped but I was still getting frequent attacks particularly at night so the dose has been doubled. This seems to be working so far. I have had a couple of days where the reflux has been a pain but nothing like it was before. Interestingly though I have noted that if I do not stick to my six small meals a day and i let myself go hungry that in turn can aggravate things.
Only a week away for me to find out if the final stage funding has been approved and hopefully a date given to get this space hopper out and on with the bypass which people have assured me will stop the reflux. Nervous as hell but excited as well.
Good luck hun in whatever you decide to do and congrats on being a soon to be father :) x

River Of Dreams,

Get a second, or third opinion. Go to free seminars that many private hospitals have, Nuffield seems to have a comprehensive amount, Spire also?

I interviewed three surgeons for the plastics (next stage of process) then spent 3 months deciding between them. Now booked for January :D

This is life changing so there is no limit to the information that you can get before you decide.

Good luck!

Back