• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Countdown to Balloon Launch

I think the initial meetings get us all like this ... I felt vulnerable at mine because for the first time in my 51 years I not only had to face up to my weight issues and foibles but talk at great length to a complete stranger about how I got to be like this. Not only was I crying but so was my hubby who has lived through it with me and knows all my darkest deepest secrets & thoughts on being "fat". Looking back I think they have to do this in depth "psychoanalyst" approach to judge whither you are suitable to go forward with the "procedure" or not. Easy it ain't!

No definitely not easy... But you know what, I think (for me at least) this is all very good (albeit extremely tough) emotional shock-therapy.

So excited about your surgery date drawing closer! We'll all be rooting for you!

Hi tilli, mines on the 29th! So we don't have too long to wait! I'd love to keep in touch with you to see how we get on!

I just want it in now!

Rebecca x

Yes absolutely, let's keep in touch and push each other. Just hoping I'll have lost the weight I promised I would before the insertion. Haven't actually checked yet, I prefer to not stare at the scales too much when I diet as it makes me lose focus and drive if the weight isn't shifting fast enough.

I've taken a week off work after my procedure. Hoping the nausea won't last longer than that.

Frankie, you've been a star these last few weeks with all of my random questions ! I hope you start to feel better soon x

Tiiili, we've just got to look to the future ! Away we go !! .... Almost :)

Frankie, you've been a star these last few weeks with all of my random questions ! I hope you start to feel better soon x

Tiiili, we've just got to look to the future ! Away we go !! .... Almost :)

Ask away :) ... I know I was full of questions and anticipation before my procedure. I was fully prepared for the afterwards and think its a good idea that you have taken a week off to get over it treacle. Its the unknown bit that scares us. Good luck to you both on the big day when I am sure all will go well :) xx

Obviously I'm not a balloon-y but wanted to pop round and say 'hi'.

The two consultants I saw were very businesslike and seemed to take it as read that all the emotional/weepy stuff had happened at the GP's (which it had!!). Maybe because I had attended the support group in mid-Lincs, which has a good reputation at the hospital, they didn't go too much in to just about anything really!!

Will have EVERYTHING crossed for you FF on appointment day (and good luck everybody else too) xx

Well what a year this has been. So thought i would summarise it all ..
I started July 2012 with very little hope.. My only future bright lights were that my daughter was getting married shortly and My son and daughter in law were about to make me a first time granny. My weight loss was painfully slow. The idea of being wheelchair bound was looking to be very likely and my looming local bariatric appointment looked like it was going to be a disappointingly flat no if my research and GP were right. I was a complete mess.
How wrong I was to be! I attended the appointment fully prepared for a big let down. Instead it was a fraught hour as the consultant pryed into not only my own very private thoughts regards my weight but my husbands as well. I was not prepared for this at all. I was broadsided completely and my defences were down! Toward the end of this meeting I was tearful, shaking but felt oddly relieved. I can only think it was like a valve had been opened and all the pent up thoughts revealed and shared. Mr Shearer had certainly done his homework as he produced letter after letter from other consultants who had dealt with me over the years all advocating surgery! He was lovely and reassured me that he was going to do the utmost to get me funded for surgery but warned me that very few in our region do get it, only 10 people per year in fact & that the surgery required would be done outwith the region. He made it very clear though that if I was granted funding it would be a case of balloon first then probably a bypass as I was not healthy enough for major surgery at my current BMI of 68. He told me to make a start now and to aim for at least a 10% loss between then and jan 2013 when hopefully he would have an answer for me by then. I had to show honest commitment to changing my lifestyle.
That was a year ago. I achieved my 10% loss and didn't have to wait till the January as my RossHall app came through for a month earlier in Dec '12 and I was told there that I had got the initial funding for the balloon which was inserted Feb'13. I had to target 50bmi. thankfully i had put the work in before and had already lost 3&1/2st it leaving me another 4st to do with a little help from my silicon rubber friend. Sitting here today I have achieved an 8st loss which gets me halfway to reaching my personal target weight of 12st & its now onto phase2 hopefully as the balloon comes nearly to the end of its purposeful life. Next Thursday I should find out if funding is approved for the bypass.
My 10 month old granddaughter is beautiful and walking! I thank the heavens and doctors for giving me a piece of my life back. I can play with her and help her parents with her care. There is no way that i would have been able to do this a year ago. I could barely get myself out of a chair! Last week I joked that at 21lb she was a heavy carry when it suddenly hit me after I did a quick calculation in my head, that in body weight I had lost the equivalent of 5 of her!!
What a fantastic year I have had, a roller coaster of emotions, trials and celebration. Thank you too for all your support folks .. You are all a tremendous inspiration and have made my journey a lot easier... You are the best!x

What a fantastic year I have had, a roller coaster of emotions, trials and celebration. Thank you too for all your support folks .. You are all a tremendous inspiration and have made my journey a lot easier... You are the best!x[/QUOTE]

That's a fantastic journey femfrankie!!!
Thanks for sharing it with us! Helping us through good and bad times also ?
Here's to our fantastic body's and more self love!!!
Hugs and kisses xx

carol b :)

Thanks carol :). How's things going with you? You too will be coming to the end of your balloon journey. How do you feel now that you are almost done with it and is there any word of you getting it removed at the six month mark?? Xx

Thanks carol :). How's things going with you? You too will be coming to the end of your balloon journey. How do you feel now that you are almost done with it and is there any word of you getting it removed at the six month mark?? Xx

Hi ya. I'm still the same!
No loss over the past month! I'm just constantly starving! The joys! I assume I'm due a period and need the extra calories at the moment!
Not having mine removed till September! No date set just yet. I will be away August for a week so they are going to leave it in for longer.
Broke my toe so I'm not out running at the moment and I'm missing it already!
But ah well what can ye do!!!!
I'm living in hope that I will loose the next two stone soon and my appetite too lol ?

Hi carol and frankie!

I've missed our conversations as I've had my friend here in Cyprus on Holiday.
This time next week I will be back in England, ready to travel to Manchester for my procedure! 12 month balloon.

You two have been so honest and open and a great help to me and others!I can not believe that it is in 8 days that I go!

Look forward to hearing from you in the next few days x

Hi ya. I'm still the same!
No loss over the past month! I'm just constantly starving! The joys! I assume I'm due a period and need the extra calories at the moment!
Not having mine removed till September! No date set just yet. I will be away August for a week so they are going to leave it in for longer.
Broke my toe so I'm not out running at the moment and I'm missing it already!
But ah well what can ye do!!!!
I'm living in hope that I will loose the next two stone soon and my appetite too lol ?

Awwww carol that's not so good hope the toe heals quick. My restriction with the balloon has almost gone now which I'm a bit miffed at so I feel I'm doing this on my own again but at least the weight is still coming off ... I'm sticking with the high protein, low carbs since it works for me. The weather as well is a bonus for me a I don't have the same urge to eat when it's hot. I will have my fortnightly stalls but I have stopped stressing about them now. I think it's because I have reached & passed my target so there is no need to get my knickers in a twist about them any more. I hope you have a fantastic holiday hun and that the stall for you ends ASAP :)

Hi carol and frankie!

I've missed our conversations as I've had my friend here in Cyprus on Holiday.
This time next week I will be back in England, ready to travel to Manchester for my procedure! 12 month balloon.

You two have been so honest and open and a great help to me and others!I can not believe that it is in 8 days that I go!

Look forward to hearing from you in the next few days x

Thanks treacle :) ... I just love Cyprus and its on my list of places to go back to once I shift these pounds.. I want to enjoy it even more as a skinny me :) it's hard to believe your procedure is just around the corner.. How time flies. As I have said above my restriction is noticeably less now but that is the beauty of the Spatz balloon in your case. You just go get a Refill .. I don't know how much extra that is though but at least hat option is there.
Will be thinking of you on the day hun but you will be just fine :) x

Thanks ladies ?

I have had little or no restriction from the second week, the only thing that I was restricted with was water!!!!
But I didn't try to push myself I have to say!
I have a super sweet tooth and I would kill to be rid of it!
I'm relaxing down in my mobile and even sat on the decking with a bkini top on!!! Self concous allright but I looked a hell of a lot better than last year ?
I need to work on my confidence and then I should see the pounds coming off again! Although I haven't weighed in for three weeks!!! That's massive for me seen as how I usually weigh in daily.
8 more days!!! Wow! Would love to be starting over again!!
Wish u all the luck and a super speedy recovery.
We will be here for u xx

For the first time since having the balloon I am sitting here with a very full tummy & to be honest it is pretty uncomfy. Thankfully it was mostly all good healthy stuff.. lemon sole with 2 small new potatoes and mange toute peas. Followed with strawberries and a small serving of cream... I have always been a sucker for strawberries and pigged out on them. After complaining of not feeling restriction so much now I guess I got that wrong .. I feel fit to burst or worse still (tmi warning)...throw up and what a waste of strawberries that would be. Feel rather stupid and annoyed at myself now for pushing the boundaries.

To be honest hon we all do it sometimes. I do it and although its uncomfy it reassures me too. The sad truth is that no op will make our issues with food go away. Only time will help there and even then I don't think we'll ever be 'cured'

Thanks hun I intend not to repeat this episode... Until the next time strawberries appear of course hahaha but I am seriously kicking myself at the moment. Classic case of eyes bigger than belly I'm afraid :eek: I know I will make similar mistakes in the future but when I do I hope to learn from them. Really don't know what was going on in my head tonight:break_diet:

Sometimes its a simple case of having a craving. I think its so easy to forget that we are programmed biologically to eat. Its not an unnatural thing - its one of our strongest instincts. And that's why food tastes good. But unfortunately the food is not the same as before. and so we get fat on it.

Only one week to go before I get my balloon. Does anybody have any tips on what to eat during the soft food stage? The directions at my hospital seem to be 3 days liquid, semi-solids day 4-7 and then introducing solid foods from day 8.

I have a feeling I'm going to be one of the people who will be severely nauseous for quite some time so want to stock up a week's supply of food since I doubt I'll be in a position to go grocery shopping! :) Other than yoghurt, thicker soups and porridge, what should I get?

Only one week to go before I get my balloon. Does anybody have any tips on what to eat during the soft food stage? The directions at my hospital seem to be 3 days liquid, semi-solids day 4-7 and then introducing solid foods from day 8.

I have a feeling I'm going to be one of the people who will be severely nauseous for quite some time so want to stock up a week's supply of food since I doubt I'll be in a position to go grocery shopping! :) Other than yoghurt, thicker soups and porridge, what should I get?

I was advised to start solids after the third day. They wanted me to eat normally as soon as... Everybodies provider has different ideas. However I was over a month before I honestly can say I ate normal (ish) food. I really don't know if this was purely down to the reflux I had or if I just that I wasn't hungry. I lived on yoghurts, weetabix, sugar free angel delight & cuppa soups. My own home made thicker soups made me sick as did a lot of other solid food and it was never immediately after but always hours and hours later which nobody could understand. Looking back I do believe it was the reflux that was making it all problematic because once I was given lozampramole (sp) I was able to eat a bit better.. I hasten to add I didn't feel ill in that month nor did I feel hungry. Food really had no appeal anymore. Sorry I'm not much help x

Thanks sweetie, all info is helpful! It's a bit confusing that all hospitals seem to have different advice. The "drink a diet coke to clean your balloon" thing seems to be a common advice but my instructions say avoid all fizzy drinks.

Oh well, time will tell, I'm sure my tummy will be quick to say no if there's anything it doesn't like.

Almost time for your appointment! Thursday, was it?

Back