• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Crumpet

slimmerkay

OMG! What filthy minds you all have :eek:

I meant the food crumpets, and those little pancakes you toast, oh and english muffins. Can you manage them post bypass or do they work the same as white bread and most of you avoid them?

Bev

I would think they sound really heavy Karen, they are in the bread family... you know when you have eaten them, I find them really stodgy...

But, a lovely light pancake is tempting... xxx

PurpleKylie22

A crumpet just isnt the same unless it is smoothered with butter so much that it dribbles out when you bite it! I love them.... I have a feeling even if I could eat one the butter would be a no-no after surgery lol
Maybe you could try eating a half / a quater of one un-toasted

dawny

ive had one, well half of one, but insted of butter or anything like that, i put low fat philadelphia on it, it was nice, but of course you have to chew it until theres virtually nothing left to swallow, and i was fine.

slimmerkay

A crumpet just isnt the same unless it is smoothered with butter so much that it dribbles out when you bite it! I love them.... I have a feeling even if I could eat one the butter would be a no-no after surgery lol
Maybe you could try eating a half / a quater of one un-toasted

Generally hun anything bread like is better toasted as we seem to process it easier.

slimmerkay

ive had one, well half of one, but insted of butter or anything like that, i put low fat philadelphia on it, it was nice, but of course you have to chew it until theres virtually nothing left to swallow, and i was fine.

Thanks Dawny - it's for further along the line obviously. I wouldn't dare try it just yet. In fact I'm a bit food phobic at the moment - scared to try things in case I react bad :(

dawny

aw karen i really do feel for you huni, an hope it gets sorted out soon, but, if at least you know you can look forward to some things, it might make it a bit easier for now. ive been very lucky with food i must admit, my problem is that i just cant eat enough of it, i dread to think of the number of calories im NOT having. i get so stuffed on even a couple of mouthfuls of protein, its unreal, but to be honest, i have always been a bit like that, we coud never understand why i held onto weight, ww didnt work, cos i just couldnt eat thenumber ofpoints i needed. but at least i am losing it now, albeit slowly.
anyway, enjoy your crumpets when u get to eat them. big hugs xx

phatmomma

You mean we can't eat white bread? Jeez guys nobody told me and i've been eating it for 2 months or so with no problems whatsoever.... Flipping heck i could have choked or something :) Seriously some people can't take certain foods and some people can. Each bypasser's eating capabilities are different. You won't know if you can eat them till you try! When you first try bread you are better toasting it as it crumbles easily when chewing and thus digests easier i guess...

Karen, don't be too scared of trying things. Maybe just have a bite of a piece of toast and chew chew chew...

Oh yes and i love a bit of crumpet, can even manage a whole one :) Peanut butter on it oooooh <<<dribbling>>>

Janeywanttoloosealot

Hiya i have a crumpet virtially everyday toasted within an inch of its life with a scaping of low fat marg luv em. Janey:D

Sambucca

I like the occasional crumpet, but one fills me up now where as it would have taken an entire pack to fill me up pre op.

I still have mine with butter, but as its only occasionally I dont worry about that.

Nightwitch

Nightwitch to New Witch
i have the occasional toasted crumpet with butter on or peanut butter...but like others have said you definitely feel full after one (or half of one lol) and yup i used to easily eat 3-4 before lol

Glenville

I used to look forward to crumpets as a weekend treat pre-op, but haven't had them post yet. I am unlikely to get through more than 1 so do you think they would freeze OK? I hate to think I would be wasting any. xx

dawny

they freeze great john, i would put them in little individual bags and freeze, then just pull out one at a time. let them defrost for a little while before toasting.

phatmomma

Or John you could have them when you have a special guest visiting :) With a nice cup of tea, oh the bliss of the simple life xx

slimmerkay

Just to update:

I tried a toasted pancake and it went down ok. Not tried a crumpet yet though.

And I was also thinking, what about a toasted fruit teacake?

Stellap

At goal at last.....
I sometimes have a crumpet with low fat philly for breakfast and it goes down fine (I'm 10 months out). I can't take anything with dried fruit in however, got into the habit of avoid them when I was diabetic because of the very high sugar content and they had a bad effect on me after the op.

Nightwitch

Nightwitch to New Witch
all this talk of crumpets i had to go buy some when i went shopping yesterday hahaha