• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Derby Hospital pre op diet.

Paula Garner

Is there anyone on here who's had surgery at Derby ? What are your thoughts on the pre op diet ?

What are the best and worst parts of it ? Any comments or thoughts will be greatly appreciated :)

hey x i did the pre op diet at derby. before i started it i really wished i could have done the milk diet as i thought pyscologically it would be easier....

anyway the first week is a killer, you WILL be hungry! but it will get better as second week starts.

make sure you portion your meals out to keep you out the kitchen, spread your fruit and yogurt allowance out or keep it for the evening if thts your trigger time like mine was.

after having the op and then having to have soup and slim fast for 2 weeks i was actualy really happy tht i could have those 2 pre op weeks of being able to get my nashers into something :)

a good choice was salmon with cajun spice with salad or rice mixed with peas tht was yummy!

jacket potato with cheese and salad was also nice too, bear in mind the portions are minute tho lol!

good luck :)

nichola xx

Thanks for the reply Nichola. How many weeks post op are you ? And do you have any other bits of helpful advice or tips ??

Hi paula
I did the low carb one in feb and was starving all the time,
i'm on day 7 of the milk diet and finding it a lot easier, :) xx

Are you having your surgery soon ? How long have you been waiting ? Thanks for the tip. I might ask if I can do the milk diet instead. I think I'll cope better with it :-/

I had a failed bypass in feb (liver too hard)
3rd may i'm having a band fitted (finger crossed)
when are you having yours? :) xx

No date as yet. I should be at the top of the list around the end of June. I'm just psyching myself up, because the pre op diet sheet looks awful lol. I hope your band is successful. Who's your consultant ?

the preop at derby isn't so bad. As long as you spice your food up to make it more interesting it is good. Portion sizes are really small but I found that you could have loads of prawns on the fish option so I had those loads.

Good luck with it, I am now 4 weeks post op and about to go onto the soft texture stage so nearly back on 'proper' food again, it has been worth it though.

Emma xx

hey paula xx

im nearly 20 weeks post op now, wow time flies!!

i asked the dietician if i could do the milk diet and i told i wasnt allowed and had to follow the diet that they had given.

tips hmmm....just dont expect this to be easy, having to learn how to eat again is such a learning curve! things getting stuck can be scary to start with but you learn to eat properly so you dont get your food stuck.

i always had the problem of eating too quickly and getting a lot of wind, but now, without even realising it i eat pretty slow and im used to it :)

make sure you get in lots of varieties of soups and shakes, by the end of the first week post op you wont ever want to see a tin of soup again lol!!! yet you will have to do another week on it :-(

reaching sloopy food was so exciting! cheesey mash is lovely, make a big batch up and freee it in mini tubs or ice cube trays.

also you can blitz up salmon with mash and parsely sauce, thts really taste, full of protein and tastes like you are eating real food :)

if you want to know anything else just ask xxx

good luck!

nic x

Back