• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

!!EXERCISE CHALLANGE!!

phatgirl

I know exactly what you mean. I've hated excercise my whole life.
Was 13 stone at age 13, couldn't do half the things everyone else could, was rediculed by the teachers, the others kids mad fun of me.
I was always put in goal as I couldn't run fast enough for anything else. This has had a lasting effect on me and at age 57 I STILL HATE EXERCISE. Walking a mile to the nearest shops and back takes me all my time and energy. My knee and hips really hurt by the time I get back, good job I've got my granddaughters push chair to hold me up!!

I used to like swimming but hate the sight of myself in a cossie or anything else for that matter. Went to aqua-aerobics a few years ago and some classes were great fun. Others were boring, a lot depends on who is taking the class.

My daughter keeps trying to get me to walk further each time we meet up and I suppose that's the most sensible options for starters. Gyms really have no appeal at all at the moment.

I work long hours each day and by the time I get home exercise is the last thing on my mind.

Trying to get motivated - any suggestions

How about something at home like wii fit or an exercise video? You could do it in the mornings before work that way you would have more energy for the day? Even just walking stairs when you usually use a lift helps you get more fit.

phatgirl

Did an aqua tone class last night and had a bit of swim too lol. I can't believe its me thats typing that I m doing exercise and swimming of all things 8OD

You GO GIRL!! You should be well proud of yourself hun!!!!

Nic:D:D:D

phatgirl

I haven't been up to much in the exercise department. I went to aqua fit last Thursday, walked 2 miles on Sunday & 4 miles yesterday. Kinda sad that but I promise myself I will do more this week!

Nic:D

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't been up to much in the exercise department. I went to aqua fit last Thursday, walked 2 miles on Sunday & 4 miles yesterday. Kinda sad that but I promise myself I will do more this week!

Hi Nic

What else are you planning exercise wise for this week?

I love walking but with the weather the way it is its just the gym for me at the moment. Going to a spin class tonight - love it! its very addictive though and burns loads of calories.

Maz :D

phatgirl

Yeah, I think a gym is in order for me as well. I have been putting it off since everytime I have joined a gym I never go, like somehow as soon as I start paying for it I lose the will to exercise. I have probably paid thousands over my lifetime in gym fees! Anyway, got to be a big girl and take charge! I plan to do some exercise videos this week due to weather and perhaps join a gym next week. Thanks for the encouragement.

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I think a gym is in order for me as well. I have been putting it off since everytime I have joined a gym I never go, like somehow as soon as I start paying for it I lose the will to exercise. I have probably paid thousands over my lifetime in gym fees! Anyway, got to be a big girl and take charge! I plan to do some exercise videos this week due to weather and perhaps join a gym next week. Thanks for the encouragement.

I treat going to the gym as some 'me time'. It can be an effort actually going sometimes but once you get into a routine and find an activity you enjoy you will have fun!

Before you know it you will have an enjoyable new habit.

Good luck x

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Its all gone quiet on this thread, maybe you are all at the gym - but if youve got any sense you will be making the most of the sunshine!

Jezabelle

Quitting is NOT an option
I used to be a exercise freak, used to go to Aerobics 4 times a week and the gym on the other days. I lost 4.5 stone at that time and then started passing out in the Aerobics classes. I was told to get myself to the dr's before they would allow me back. Dr found a goiter & after being seen at the ENT clinic the found that it was pushing into my wind pipe which was causing lack of oxygen to my brain hence me passing out when exercising. Goiter was removed and was put on Thyroxine for the rest of my life.

Anyway.... I purchased a exercise bike this time last year and I used it for the 1st time 2 days ago! Went on it for 5 minutes and it nearly killed me. Made me realise just how unfit I am. I was gasping for air and when I got off it I nearly fell over due to wobbly legs.. Oops!

My aim is to do 5 minutes every day for a week and then step it up by a few minutes until I can do an hour on it.

My next aim is to do more walking!

Shiny

Hi all,

Well I'm waiting to arrange a date for my band, but just wondered how do people feel after exercise? I'm hoping to get a place to run teh marathon next year, so wondering if anyone has any tips to make sure I get enough energy to last the distance and do all the training I'll need to do? All tips/advice gratefully received! :D
Shona x

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
I did another aqua tone today - I really must stop finding excuses not to go as I really do enjoy it once I'm there. Am thinking of swimming twice a week as well.

Good for you Terri, swimming is a great way of shaping up. :D

Rising_Sun

Chugging along
:hmm:Been rather quiet here lately.

People, did you move today:character00116:???

I'll answer that first then - - - - Yup, I did the Tae-bo basics video this morning.

phatgirl

Haven't been posting here & honestly forgot about it! I am with you now and will start posting again, it will help keep me honest.

Yesterday - no exercise, terrible headache and moody also :(.

Today - woke up with headache both the physical & mental kind :(, must give myself a kick in the butt, hope I don't sprain anything trying, lol:p

Tomorrow - will do fitness video or take a speed walk if it is not raining so no excuses for me. I WILL do ONE or the OTHER!!!!

Nic:)

32bme

Keeps on trying
Now i have the o.k to go back to keep fit,will keep up the walking aim to do 70,000 a week in what ever way i can 3 days a week i go out early for a 30 min walk.

Going to go and do a early morning session at the local gym for 30/40 mins x 2/3 a week.

i really enjoy exercise but the time to do it is another habit change.

I love the mornings and feel better when i,ve started the day off in this way.

Cant seem to do the evening classes or sessions due to family, friends commitments which i also enjoy or balancing act called for most of the time.
mia

phatgirl

Sat - exercise video done! Woo hoo!
Sun - took a walk with hubby
Today - going to check out a local gym with a friend, hopefully it won't be super expensive because it is in a really convenient location.

Nic:p

elffie01

Im Meellttinngg!! :)
ok Im in, Ive had the all clear from my surgeon, will be going to the gym at some point this week, was going to go today but remembered kids are off school. :(

went for a cycle last monday but my knee gave out. Took 3 days for me to stop limping, how lame is that :mad: Will be back on it this week, or on the treadmill ....

Pandora_150

Finally Post-op!
I was looking for somewhere to put an excersise diary... and so I found this!

I don't ever remember reading this thread - but I'm guessing thats because I was so afraid of excersise pre-op!

I am trying to get myself motivated into excersising everyday now and I am hoping to use this thread to document my journey to being fitter! Plus, if I start lacking I am relying on other people to kick me back on track!

I use to rely on swimming for my exersise pre-op. However, since I was diagnosed with Detached Retinas in both eyes, and the subsequent operations (another of which is on 12th February) I have not been able to go swimming.

I have a Treadmill at home that I tried to excersise on pre-op, and I came to hate it! I have now been back on it for the past few weeks and I am amazed at how much easier it is now! The speed I was walking at at my heaviest was at a push 2mph, now I find that is too slow.

So my motivation now is to start running. Yes I said running! I think that I have always envied those who can just take off and run, and I was thinking the other day: "why can't I?!?". So I am starting a regime that will help me get started. Over the past few weeks I have worked my way up from 1 minute of jogging to 5 minutes. I have to be honest and say that the first time I tried running, even just for that 1 minute, I was on the floor I was so out of breath! But I kept going back everyday! And it gradually got easier. Very gradually! Now my aim is to keep it going. I want to do it everyday, but I know that is quite unrealistic; so my aim is 4 or 5 times a week, and every week I am increasing it by 1 or 2 minutes.

So here we go:

Wednesday 27th Janurary
Treadmill
5 minutes walking @ 2.5 mph
5 minutes jogging @ 3.5 mph
5 minutes walking @ 2.5 mph
= 15 minites total

Steph x

flowerofshona

Well i decided to go swimming tonight for the first time in ages !! It was so quite there and i did 20 lengths and some exercises so im well pleased, im hoping it will get me as fit as possible before the op :)