• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Failure???????

julieann

Well here goes..... I haven't posted or logged in on here since march as ive felt too ashamed to, but ive reached such a low point in my life at the moment, and I know that in the past you have all been so supportive on here that I feel the need to spill the beans, to hopefully get me back on track! I had my band fitted a year and a half ago and for the first year had a steady weightloss getting to the top end of a healthy bmi, leaving me about 3/4 stone to reach my target. I then took the next step of approaching my doctor to see if I would be eligable for a tummy tuck on the nhs. He felt that I had a really good case as I had already self funded with my band, so filled out all the relevant forms which went to panel only to be refused, What a knock to the confidence, which was made even worse when the panel gave their reasons. I meet all the criteria that was asked but was refused because I have lost the weight through weightloss surgery and not by myself, Which apparently is the ruling in Cambridge. What a load of old tosh!!!! So, since then everything seems to have gone downhill, I have gained a few pounds, not much, but enough to make me feel like a complete failure, I have lost all of my willpower and the more I think about dieting the more I crave food. I had to take finance out for my band and said when the band was first fitted that because I had to finance it, I would always keep on the straight and narrow because I couldn't afford for it not to work, so what the hell is wrong with me and why can't I just get my head round this as i only have about a stone to go..... HELP!!!!!!!!!:cry:

Hi Julieann

Sorry to hear your feeling down. A knock to your confidence is bound to make you become tempted by old habbits too.

At least you can recognise it and with only a few pounds on can soon get back on track.

Keep posting for support and Im sure you can get back on the straight and narrow x

well all I can say is appeal the decision go to the papers and shame them into it. They are punishing you for having to have weightloss surgery as you only way out of fatland and you self funded it so saved them in the first place. I saw an article a few weeks ago where a lady had a band that went wrong and they wouldnt help her so she appealed and ok it took a while but they gave in. Worth a try and even more important dont let this ruin all the hard work you have already put in u have done so well and are much healthier and thats all down to you!!!! Good luck xx

Aw Im sorry you were turned down, it really seems to have knocked you off track. You have done so well and you will carry on doing well! You are just having a wobble and coming back here is the best thing because we will do all that we can to help you :D Chin up! X

HI hun as you said yourself you have come back to the right place to get support. Its terrible that you are being penalised for having surgery when you self funded your band. I'm sure i'm going to face the same here in Glasgow. You haven't gone wrong the last stone is hard to shift i know cause i'm there too. You have only put on a few pounds nothing major the main thing is you are recognising you need to get back on track so well done for being so honest. We are here for you so keep posting and we will help you get back on that losing side. Big hugs x

i know the refusal of funding must feel like a knock back but dont forget how far you have come and how much better your life is now, get back on track because im sure you wouldnt want to turn the clock back and keep posting i find it such a help everybody on here is so supportive i wish you all the best from the bottom of my heart x

Hi Julieann, do not let them knock you off track! You have done the hard slog, so reap the rewards of your weight loss. Sort the skin out later, get that last bit of weight off if you wish, but then start to enjoy the new you. Best of luck - Paul xx

When you had your band fitted they didn't fit a magic switch inside your head too eliminate your bad habits and your old relationship with food. You have had a slight knock back and have done what you used to do and reached for your old friend and comfort blanket of food. It is easily done and you ARE NOT a failure. You have recognised that you have gained a little and admitted it now you should be able to get back on the horse (so to speak). What about appealing to the pct, it may not work but it will give you something other than food to think about.

Gather as many facts as you can, try and find out if others have been successful, ask to see their policy that states wls patients aren't eligible for plastics and speak to your gp to see if they can help in any way.

Keep your chin up and don't be a stranger, there's always someone about if you need to vent.

A big thankyou to you all for taking the time to reply. Hopefully now ive made the first step of posting on here again, I can now get my head into gear and shift this last bit of weight.
Julie

Julie i'm so sorry you've been knocked back for your TT.. So unfair especially as you funded your own wls...

I can only imagine how the empty skin feels but just got one little thought, which i say to myself and others when they ask about whether i'll have excess skin...

''I've always had excess skin, it was just full of fat before''!

You carry on and lose your extra stone and revel in the fact that you look great and you HAVE worked blooming hard to get there xx

Hi Julie,

I cannot see for a second how you can have failed love, maybe it's time just to re-evaluate your plan, get it mapped out and get going on this...

It's hurtful being refused something that you need so badly, but lots of us are getting refusals and for initial surgery....

Please pamper yourself and look forward and never back!

Keep going and keep building your confidence, you have worked damn hard to get where you are.

Much love xxx

At my pct we are told pre surgery that they will not fund any extra surgery for removing excess skin, so I'm already putting money in a jar in the hope that I can self fund it in a few years time.
It seems unfair though that they are prepared to do the op for people who have lost the weight without wls. After all, statistically I'm sure we are less likely to regain it all than those people.

Back