• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Feel a bit of a fraud for being here now...

hi gerry,
i had my gastric bypass on the 1st of feb, best decision i ever made, i got it done on the nhs and my bmi was 45 and i was 22 stone, i didnt get the breathing tube wen i was awake, the op really wasnt too bad and i was out of hospital in 3 days, ive lost over 4 stone since then, i eat normal food now and ive never had dumping or been sick as long as u chew well and dont eat too fast u wont get sick!!!
as ruth says at first u get what i call head hunger!!!! ur belly doesnt want the food but ur head craves it badly... ul be pleased to know that passes in time!!!! anything u wanna ask please feel free!!!!
Donna xx

Thanks so much for your very encouraging reply Donna, and well done on your weight loss so far. That really is brilliant going in just eight weeks - well done you!! I love reading up about people who have had it done already, both recently and in the past. Everyone seems so positive. My 'friend' (whom I was at school with) was rather negative about it at times, and when she got a hint that I may be interested, started saying things like "I wouldn't recommend it" or "there is loads they don't tell you" etc, and that started worrying me, but I have read so much positivity from all the people on this site who have been through it that I am feeling very positive about it myself.

I think hubby is a bit worried that I will loose weight and then run off with another guy (can't see that happening, people like him are hard to find - he does so much for me, where as most men want waiting on).

My BMI is 46.4 and I'm about 21 stone (although I did weigh myself this morning and I am down to 20st 12lbs 4oz, but then I do often fluctuate, pretty much like most people I guess). I wish I could loose it by diet alone, but dieting has never worked for me :(.

I think I am going to look into keeping a blog about my decision to have a Gastric Bypass. Never done a blog before, so need to find a site where I can do it. If anyone has any ideas of non-paying sites where I can create a blog then I'd be grateful to be pointed in the right direction.

Gerry
:)

Hiya Gerry
You poor poor thing, my heart goes out to you.....
I myself is just about to have surgery..... It has taken me a year from when my GP and I firtst discussed the possibility of gastric surgery....
It will be quite a battle ahead of you with the PCT to fund your surgery... but if you keep focused I am sure that you will be able to get it through the NHS.... I myself have a very cronic version of Brittle Asthma and this has caused me lack of mobility since suffering a near fatal asthma on 2005, this inturn has increased my weight by nearly 9 stone.... even with this life threatening condition is was a battle and indeed the decision in the end was that of a PCT's Appeal pannel...... But with your illness and I am sure they will see the way that the weight effects your life and then offer the surgery.

Good luck hunny.

Nessa XX

It's awful that people should have to fight to get this surgery, which in the end is basically a life saver. It's like discrimination. We are discriminated against if we are big by being called names, yet when we make the decision to take a very brave step to help us overcome many problems by having a GBP, they discriminate against us again. I wonder if we said we were not going to fund the NHS by giving our National Insurance premiums, what their reaction would be to that. We get no choice. People who do drugs, smoke or drink themselves into a state where they rely on the NHS get treatment, so why shouldn't people who have weight issues. As we all know, we don't all just sit there stuffing our faces, despite the way many like to think we do. Many of us who are on the large side are like it because of other problems that mean we can't exercise.

I'm prepared to appeal if I am initially turned down, but hopefully I won't have a problem - I think my friend got hers done straight away with no need to appeal.

Fingers crossed.

Gerry

It's awful that people should have to fight to get this surgery, which in the end is basically a life saver. It's like discrimination. We are discriminated against if we are big by being called names, yet when we make the decision to take a very brave step to help us overcome many problems by having a GBP, they discriminate against us again. I wonder if we said we were not going to fund the NHS by giving our National Insurance premiums, what their reaction would be to that. We get no choice. People who do drugs, smoke or drink themselves into a state where they rely on the NHS get treatment, so why shouldn't people who have weight issues. As we all know, we don't all just sit there stuffing our faces, despite the way many like to think we do. Many of us who are on the large side are like it because of other problems that mean we can't exercise.

I'm prepared to appeal if I am initially turned down, but hopefully I won't have a problem - I think my friend got hers done straight away with no need to appeal.

Fingers crossed.

Gerry

I have everything crossed for you, I do hope that you do get it straight away, when I first went for it I was deemed not heavy enough, and my POSTCODE was not in the funding bracket... So the odds were against me....
It seems that they do take notice if there is something else wrong with you other than the weight.....
GOOD LUCK HUNY
xx

hey gerry dont worry about negativity from your friend maybe theres a little jealousy there?????
dont get me wrong things do change and lots of food i loved b4 dont taste nice anymore and food is def not the pleasure it used to be but the sacrifice was worth it. there are pro's and cons but the pro's def have it lol....
maybe i was just lucky but i got mine on the nhs with no probs at all! im from london wer are u????
Dxxxx

I think sometimes people don't understand. They don't understand what it's like to be overweight and the some think it's just a simple case of diet and exersize. Others don't like change. they want you to stay the same, fear that if you change physically tou won't be the person they know and love.

What they don't realise is that the person they know and love is desperately unhappy and at the end of their rope, feeling trapped with no way out. I have lost my weight with diet and exersize but I have seen how my friend has tried this route and it has not worked for her. I fully support her with her gastric band mission (she now has an appointment with the consultant. I'm so excited for her!) as I know it is right for her and she will be a much happier person at the end of it.

hi Gerry! great news from your gp.... i had gastric bypass done 4 weeks ago... lost 33 lbs in that time, and op was done under nhs. i donr remeber anything being put down my throat,nor did i have to swallow anything afterwards that was awful. the only thing i didnt like was the liquid paracetamol for pain. had surgery by keyhole on a thursday evening, out of hospital on satrday morning. i weighed 362 lbs day b4 op.. or 21 stone b4 op....... i dont like the o2 mask they have over you when you wake up from op... i tried to take it off .. but after a lil while they removed it and put a o2 tube sitting on your nose... much better.i know first hand how u feel.... or felt s few months ago...... but there is hope.. .always hope... you keep positive....... dont give up and dont let anyone make you feel diiferently about yourself or your prospectve of gastricbypass. my hubby was well against it for some time........ he did not want me to have it dne because he felt i didnt gorge myself on food.... but i knew in my heart that the only chance i had at living a healthy long life for him, our future , and family was to get the op.... and after lots of research, soul searching, ect....... it happened. and my husband was there for me through it all.. and still is my best support. i was reffered in july 2007... had my surgery 5th march 2008....... and will always remeber that day... even as i went to meet the consultant who would be doing the surgery.. i remeber walking up to the hospital.... tears falling down and thinking to myself... today is the beginning of my new life..... nothing will be the same again..... they were tears of joy. of freedom to be myself. i have always felt there was a thinner me in here dying to get out..... and im right there is and she is slowly being released. keep on your journey...... research the pros and cons of op... there are risk in everything we do in life... but for me the risk of dying at an early age, leaving my husband a young widow was greater than the risk of op. even the surgeon said you are at risk if you get the surgery... and your at risk without it. im doing well... feeling great since surgery.. .was even back to work a week later..... im determined to be healthier, to survive and live life to the fullest........ my journey of life truely began on the day of my op. good luck to you gerry...... cant wait to hear more from you.. .as i know myself the mixture of emotions that go with this journey. will be keeping an eye on your post to see your progress.

hey gerry dont worry about negativity from your friend maybe theres a little jealousy there?????
dont get me wrong things do change and lots of food i loved b4 dont taste nice anymore and food is def not the pleasure it used to be but the sacrifice was worth it. there are pro's and cons but the pro's def have it lol....
maybe i was just lucky but i got mine on the nhs with no probs at all! im from london wer are u????
Dxxxx

D

I'm in Surrey, just outside of London. I have a postcode that comes within the Kingston area, but I live a bit further out than that. I've checked on the BOSPA site and we aparently come under the NICE Guidelines, which means that if you have a BMI of 35 - 40 and you have health problems that are affected by your weight, then you should get it. If you have a BMI over 40, you get it anyway, even without other health problems. My BMI is 46.4 so I guess that qualifies me, plus I have other health problems too. Still, not counting my chickens before they are hatched. I will have to wait and see what the doctor says later this month about the funding (assuming she has been able to find out anything by then).

Where did you have your op done? I think my friend said she had to go to Charring Cross hospital. Is that where you had yours done?

Gerry

I think sometimes people don't understand. They don't understand what it's like to be overweight and the some think it's just a simple case of diet and exersize. Others don't like change. they want you to stay the same, fear that if you change physically tou won't be the person they know and love.

What they don't realise is that the person they know and love is desperately unhappy and at the end of their rope, feeling trapped with no way out. I have lost my weight with diet and exersize but I have seen how my friend has tried this route and it has not worked for her. I fully support her with her gastric band mission (she now has an appointment with the consultant. I'm so excited for her!) as I know it is right for her and she will be a much happier person at the end of it.

Yours is just the kind of support that people need Taz. Being there for them because you understand how unhappy they are the way they are.

I used to try and kid myself that "I may be fat, but I'm happy, and that if anyone else has a problem with my size then it's their problem and not mine" I used to spout that off to all and sundry. Now I know I was just kidding myself. I knew that no matter what I tried, I just couldn't loose the weight, so I tried to give the impression that I didn't have a problem with it.

Now I am feeling really positive about having the op and loosing weight. I can't wait to swap clothes with my daughters and be able to buy clothes from any shop, not just 'plus size' shops.

Good luck to your friend with her op.

Gerry

hi Gerry! great news from your gp.... i had gastric bypass done 4 weeks ago... lost 33 lbs in that time, and op was done under nhs. i donr remeber anything being put down my throat,nor did i have to swallow anything afterwards that was awful. the only thing i didnt like was the liquid paracetamol for pain. had surgery by keyhole on a thursday evening, out of hospital on satrday morning. i weighed 362 lbs day b4 op.. or 21 stone b4 op....... i dont like the o2 mask they have over you when you wake up from op... i tried to take it off .. but after a lil while they removed it and put a o2 tube sitting on your nose... much better.i know first hand how u feel.... or felt s few months ago...... but there is hope.. .always hope... you keep positive....... dont give up and dont let anyone make you feel diiferently about yourself or your prospectve of gastricbypass. my hubby was well against it for some time........ he did not want me to have it dne because he felt i didnt gorge myself on food.... but i knew in my heart that the only chance i had at living a healthy long life for him, our future , and family was to get the op.... and after lots of research, soul searching, ect....... it happened. and my husband was there for me through it all.. and still is my best support. i was reffered in july 2007... had my surgery 5th march 2008....... and will always remeber that day... even as i went to meet the consultant who would be doing the surgery.. i remeber walking up to the hospital.... tears falling down and thinking to myself... today is the beginning of my new life..... nothing will be the same again..... they were tears of joy. of freedom to be myself. i have always felt there was a thinner me in here dying to get out..... and im right there is and she is slowly being released. keep on your journey...... research the pros and cons of op... there are risk in everything we do in life... but for me the risk of dying at an early age, leaving my husband a young widow was greater than the risk of op. even the surgeon said you are at risk if you get the surgery... and your at risk without it. im doing well... feeling great since surgery.. .was even back to work a week later..... im determined to be healthier, to survive and live life to the fullest........ my journey of life truely began on the day of my op. good luck to you gerry...... cant wait to hear more from you.. .as i know myself the mixture of emotions that go with this journey. will be keeping an eye on your post to see your progress.

TKDBEAuty, that's great going so far - I hope I can loose that much so quickly. I'm not that fussed with the oxygen mask over my face when I'm waking up, because I know I am waking up, not being put to sleep. I guess it is a kind of fear of being deprived of the ability to breath of my own free will that worries me. I get that feeling like when you stick your head out of a train or car window in the wind, where it's being forced into you :(

In the past, when Doctors (and there have been numerous Doctors) have said to me "loose weight or die", I kept thinking that there were plenty of big people who were older than me. My ex-mother in law was very big and also very inactive. I thought if she could do it, then so could I. I didn't look at her life. She never went out, never done anything for herself and everyone (her own children included) used to say how lazy she was. I didn't want to live my life like that.

I got very down about it some months ago, and really did feel that I wanted to stop now (as in take my life). I was even planning how to do it. Now I have come through that, and it has made me more sure than ever that I want to live and get my life back. I have lost my Mum and Dad in the past seven years, and I know how that has left me feeling, and I don't want my children left without their Mum. I don't want to leave them on their own. Their natural Dad has health problems of his own with a reduced life expectancy, so if he goes I need to be here for them.

I am already constantly thinking along the lines of "when I've had my op and started to loose weight" etc. I really want it so badly. Also to show those who have turned their back on me and given me up as a lost cause over the years. I'd love to bump into them afterwards. I know it would be better if I could have lost the weight through diet alone, but that has never worked for me. I think I can feel just as proud to be doing it this way if all else has failed for me. It's a huge decision to take, but I am confident that they will take care of me at the hospital. Operations don't scare me as I've had so many.

I'm now eagerly awaiting 21st April when I need to phone my GP and get her to call me back to let me know if she has been able to find out anything about the funding yet. I really hope so.

Watch this space.

Thank you so much for your very encouraging response, and once again well done for your progress so far. Please do keep me updated on how your weight loss is going, I'm really interested as I am 21 stone myself at the moment, so we are similar starting weights :)

Gerry

Hi Gerry, Hope you get your op if you really want it bt thought I'd just mention another option to you. My consultant suggested I have surgery and my GP agreed but I felt a bit afraid-so I tried Accomplia ( a tablet from the GP). I had good weight loss - 2 lbs per week- but started getting massive panic attacks. It was a side effect of the tablets so I had to stop taking them. Put it all back on again ( had lost 2 stone). My health was getting worse so I accepted that I would need to have the op- then I came acros the Cambridge Diet. Saw my GP who okayed me for sole source. The weight loss has been fantastic ( except when I fell off the wagon for 10 days) and I feel fantastic. My BMI is now under 40 ( was over 46!). I'm so glad I gave this a try first!
Apologies for sticking my oar in- especially if you have already tried a VLCD.
If I do not suceed at CD I will have the op- I'll die if I don't but am very happy on my bars and shakes so far.
Wishing you all the very best-MA

Hope all goes well with your surgery- keep posting and I'll keep an eye on you!!

Thank you Let Me Out. It's been great to have so much support on here.

I took the plunge and told my closest friend last night (male friend). I had been doubtful of his support as he had previously stated that he wasn't a supporter of these type of operations and that it wasn't needed in my case (I think at that time he was trying to be kind about my weight). Anyway, rather than tell him so that he could interrupt and start telling me how foolish I was, I wrote it all to him in an email. He's read my views now and seen that I would really appreciate his support and has written back and told me that I have it, so I am really pleased that it's another hurdle I've got over. :)

Gerry

hi gerry!
great news that your friend will support your decesion.... i too had tried every diet inder the sun..... my op was the best decesion i ever made. i wished i would of done it years ago..... but at least im on my way now. weighed myself this morning and im now down 2 stone and a half. cant believe it.... and i can see the difference... i wore a skirt yesterday i havent been able to wear in 4 years....... thats the positives of the op........ there are alos negatives... like not being able to eat certain things... or when you have had something before and it was ok... try it again and for some strange reason your new tummy decides that it doesnt like it..... its a small price to pay...... but i dont mind. i have had my struggles even after op...... tears, frustrations..... went through like a mourning period ... can you imagine that over food? wow how crazy life is, but i am getting through it... so i think anyone can. when i crave a certain food that i know i cant have now...... i just try and think of something else, do something to keep me occupied... the craving passes..... and i move on. one thing that is keeping me motivated is my mom and aunt are coming here from the states on sunday for the first time........ and boy are they going to get a surprise... im thinner went from blonde to dark, i look and feel terrific... hopefully they will walk pass me... lol..... its amazing what 2 stone and half can do for you. dont give up... and if you are sure op is what you want........ then go for it.... i know im glad i did. will be watching, hoping and praying that you get the news you want on the 21st. keep us posted .

tkdbeauty

hi gerry!
great news that your friend will support your decesion.... i too had tried every diet inder the sun..... my op was the best decesion i ever made. i wished i would of done it years ago..... but at least im on my way now. weighed myself this morning and im now down 2 stone and a half. cant believe it.... and i can see the difference... i wore a skirt yesterday i havent been able to wear in 4 years....... thats the positives of the op........ there are alos negatives... like not being able to eat certain things... or when you have had something before and it was ok... try it again and for some strange reason your new tummy decides that it doesnt like it..... its a small price to pay...... but i dont mind. i have had my struggles even after op...... tears, frustrations..... went through like a mourning period ... can you imagine that over food? wow how crazy life is, but i am getting through it... so i think anyone can. when i crave a certain food that i know i cant have now...... i just try and think of something else, do something to keep me occupied... the craving passes..... and i move on. one thing that is keeping me motivated is my mom and aunt are coming here from the states on sunday for the first time........ and boy are they going to get a surprise... im thinner went from blonde to dark, i look and feel terrific... hopefully they will walk pass me... lol..... its amazing what 2 stone and half can do for you. dont give up... and if you are sure op is what you want........ then go for it.... i know im glad i did. will be watching, hoping and praying that you get the news you want on the 21st. keep us posted .

tkdbeauty

Hi again tkdbeauty,

I'm hoping that by this time next year, I too am saying that having the op was the best decision I ever made. I'm made up that my friend is supporting me (and have written to tell him so).

I bet your Mum & Aunt won't recognise you. Do they know you have had the op? I bet they will be full of praise and encouragement and telling you how good you look - and rightly deserved too!

Like you, I'm looking forward to wearing smaller clothes. I do have a pair of jeans that I used to love wearing, but haven't fitted into them for years. I hope I can again some day, although most of my clothes are all about the same size. I got rid of most of the ones that didn't fit as I grew out of them. So for me, I'm looking forward to going shopping to buy some new clothes.

I'm not sure if I will actually hear from my GP on 21st, but that's the date I have to phone in to let her know how my knee is doing, and there is a possibility that she may have heard something, although I think I just have to leave a message and my phone number and a message for her to call me to let me know if she has had any luck with the funding. I guess that depends on if she managed to put in for it before she went away. I really hope so.

I'm like a kid counting down to Christmas now - counting the days before I can phone her :bliss:

Do let us know what your Mum and Aunt say when they first see you!

Gerry

Hello there Gerry. I hope you get good news soon.:) I too am looking to WLS as a last resort. I've been on Reductil (10mg couldn't sleep at night, 15mg had a bad reaction where I couldn't breathe properly for an hour :eek:), Xenical (couldn't eat low fat enough for it!) and Acomplia which was the absolute worst. I got an ugly itchy rash on my arm, felt very down and really hungry all the time.:rolleyes: Plus Unislim, Weight watchers, LL, LT and CD.

Now I am worried about sticking to a pre-op diet. Worried to the point that I am thinking of just forgetting about it but if I do that I will be 40st by time I am 30 (in just over 3 years!) I will just have to do it, no other choice. Lock myself in the house with no food and money, just CD packs. :D

Hello there Gerry. I hope you get good news soon.:) I too am looking to WLS as a last resort. I've been on Reductil (10mg couldn't sleep at night, 15mg had a bad reaction where I couldn't breathe properly for an hour :eek:), Xenical (couldn't eat low fat enough for it!) and Acomplia which was the absolute worst. I got an ugly itchy rash on my arm, felt very down and really hungry all the time.:rolleyes: Plus Unislim, Weight watchers, LL, LT and CD.

Now I am worried about sticking to a pre-op diet. Worried to the point that I am thinking of just forgetting about it but if I do that I will be 40st by time I am 30 (in just over 3 years!) I will just have to do it, no other choice. Lock myself in the house with no food and money, just CD packs. :D

Sorry to hear that you've had such a rotten time of it Lyn.

I've tried Xenical, calorie counting, Cambridge diet etc, but nothing works. My problem is that my disabilities mean I can't exercise. It sounds like SWL may be what you need if nothing else is working. Have you seen your GP to ask about having it done? I'm getting all eager and can't wait now.

Keep us informed

Gerry

Hi Gerry- well done ntelling your friend. I'm so pleased your friend is supporting you -it took courage to tell him.
Take car
xxx

Back