• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Feel a bit of a fraud for being here now...

Thanks for that Gerry!!!!!!!!! I am not a great cook, and not good with idea's the one i got is simalar in the amounts but just gave amounts and no ideas!!!!!! so was struggling a bit.........

I am going to start mine on Monday, goign to my dads for dinner on sunday as a final meal, come celebration of op and Birthday as my birthday is 6 days after my op!!!!!!!!!!! but i don't plan on over induling i have been cutting down for the last 4 weeks, on a diet sheet from the hospital, it was the heart foundation diet..... don't feel like i have lost, but i havent needed to pick at foods, for the first time ever having breakfast hs been a real struggle....... but i am getting there and for some reason i am never hungry and noticed i cant eat as huge a portions..........

So i am determind and need to stick with this one........

ONce again thanks so much

Donna & Mandy - glad you found the diet I copied out interesting.

Well - I've just had my call back from my GP. It wasn't as good as I had hoped. Aparently they won't accept you for surgery unless you have first attended the West Surrey Weight Management Centre (which is quite close to me fortunately). I asked her what that was about, and she said they go through weight loss programmes etc with you [er...hellloooooo - been overweight for 40+ years, do they think I've not tried everything?]. They question you on what you have tried, how successful it was (or not) and so on and so forth. I don't know if it's just a one off or if I have to go there for any length of time or what. I don't know if it would be any different if I got my consultant at the hospital who deals with my joint problems to refer me. I wonder if he referred me if it would take the same route or a different one.

I feel rather down about it now. I'd been feeling so positive and just wanting to get on with it, but if there are going to be loads of hurdles (which I feel this most certainly is) then I will get fed up of it and not want to go through with it. I've already sat here and cried because after listening to the GP explain it, it seems like they will want to know I've tried everything, and just saying I have is not enough.

I don't know that I could justify the cost of going private, even if I went to Belgium (which I believe is the cheapest way) to have the surgery.

Seems like I now have to wait to hear from this weight management place. It's left me feeling like there isn't any point. I guess I am also nervous because I know different hospitals do things in different ways (have gathered that much by listening to everyone's stories on the forum). The GP said that if I get the surgery, then it would probably be done at St. Georges (Tooting) and not at Charring Cross where my friend had hers done. That means the diets may be different, the procedures may be different etc. I have a very difficult time coping with things that are not familiar, and felt that I would be ok if I went to the same hospital as my friend did. Now it is like being thrown into the dark, I won't know what will happen, and that alone is enough to make me have second thoughts :cry:

Sorry for going on. Hope I'm not putting anyone off here. It just seems like I have been told by every doctor I have met for the past 40+ years that I should loose weight, and now I am having obstacles put in my way. Got my birthday coming up on Monday, not exactly a very positive thing to find out to make me feel like celebrating. Maybe I was too over eagre, and this is my punishment for thinking I was going to get the op and finally be slim :cry:

[Goes off to cry into her pillow] :wave_cry:

Gerry
:break_diet:

Just looked up this 'West Surrey Weight Management' thing. Looks like it's a 12 week course teaching you how to eat healthily, how to exercise more etc etc. And mores the point - I'd have to pay for it. It's not that I'm not serious about loosing weight - I truly am, but we changed our eating habbits when we joined our GP's practice. Out went the 'rubber grub' ready meals, and we started cooking everything from scratch. I don't eat loads of crisps, cakes, fry ups and take aways. My weight is simply because I can't exercise. We bought a treadmill just after Christmas. I tried using it but within a few days I had a huge flare up in my knee joint and was virtually unable to drive for weeks.

The more I see of it, the more I think I will have no option but to go private if I want this done. I don't know if I can justify the cost though.

Feeling more and more down by the minute. What is the point in attending this Weight management thing, if it is only the same as I have been doing for the past 40+ years anyway :cry:

Perhaps I should move in with my friend for a couple of months and get her GP to refer me.

Gerry
:cry:

Hi Gerry

I am so sorry you are having a bad time of it!!!! Try getting over your consultant that deals with your joints and talk to him/her..... you seem like an ideal case, see what they say and if they can help you in any way with this........

Can you not go in to see a gp and sit and explain even print out what you have typed her, about how you can't cope with the unfamilar changes, and exactly how you are feeling, also i would imagine if you went to this programme they must have an inital meeting to see how and if they can help you, and once they relise it is due to your joints they should see it isnt your fault and you are trying!!!!! :hug99::hug99:

Try and keep positive it will be worth it in the long run!!!!! it will be a fight but you deserve this for you.........

pm or email me if you want to chat xxxxxx

I can't stop crying.

Thanks Mandy :hug99:

I don't actually have any scheduled appointments to see my consultant. I'd have to phone up and ask to see him, and may even need a referral from the GP to go back to him, as he kind of 'signed me off' saying there was nothing more he could do for me until I wanted the knee replacements done, so he left me with the number to call if I wanted to book to see him. I am seriously thinking of ringing and asking to see him though, just to see if he could get me referred in any different way to how my GP can.

It just doesn't make sense that I have to go along to a 12 week course, which (with all due respect to the organisers) is a waste of time for me. I have been overweight and trying to diet all my life. I've tried following diets, loose a few pounds, then it all comes back and then some. Over the years I have steadily put on more and more weight. I am borderline diabetic. It just seems silly that I have to go along and spend one hour a week for 12 weeks, doing what I have been trying to do for the past 40+ years. I can't exercise as it makes me flare up more, but they won't take me into consideration unless there is a tick in the box that says I have been to this Weight Management course.

I'm wondering if I can find out myself who it would be who is saying I have to go on this course. I'm guessing my local PCT. I wonder if I write to them, and try to explain my situation, and the fact that so many doctors have said to me that I would be a prime candidate for GBPS, that they may listen and realise that I can't exercise and I have been trying all my life to loose weight. Or will I be viewed as "yeah they all say that" and dumped on the "doesn't want to help herself" pile.

I've done nothing but cry all afternoon. Cried in the car, cried in the loo, cried in my cup of tea...:cry:

I really don't feel that I can touch our meagre savings to go and have this op done privately. I'd feel so selfish when we have such a big family.

It just makes me peeved that my friend was given it without all this hassle (not that I begrudge her it by any means), and with all my disabilities and health problems, I have to waste time and money (the course is not free) to attend something which is totally useless to me.

Off to find a dry pillow to cry into :break_diet:

Gerry
:(

Hi Gerry,

I was told it goes on your bmi and health and you are an ideal candiate....... if you have diabetes then my gp says that is even more a reason!!!!!!!

Jump up - and fight you have a right to this!!!!!!!! phone your consultant and do it now, today asap...... show them you mean business.......... try your pct, try your mp if you have to... it is unfair how you are being treated.......

SO my talking to you is FIGHT

Feeling a bit more positive...

Well, after a rotten mainly sleepless night, I got up today and made a list of people who I could phone to see if I can get round this 'spanner in the works'.

After chatting for nearly half an hour with the Department Manager at the PCT, I have been told that it is not necessary for me to attend this Weight Management course, as in my situation it would not be to my advantage. She has suggested I see my GP again and tell her what we have discussed and that she should write to the PCT, marking it for this lady's attention and ask for an assessment for Bariatric Surgery. She should also give full details of my disabilities and other conditions and state that this weight management course would not be beneficial to me, as it is designed for purely overweight people, not overweight people with disabilities such as mine. So, things are looking up again.

I could have done without that downer, and last night was seriously thinking about giving up (what a looser I am to even consider giving up so easily). I feel much more positive again now, especially since she has said that once I have passed the assessment, then I can have the op at any of the hospitals they are in partnership with - including Charring Cross :)

My apologies if I sounded like a right old manic depressive yesterday. It doesn't take me long to get back on my feet (unless I fall over :giggle:)

So....off to write my letter to the GP

Gerry
:)

Hi Gerry,

I was told it goes on your bmi and health and you are an ideal candiate....... if you have diabetes then my gp says that is even more a reason!!!!!!!

Jump up - and fight you have a right to this!!!!!!!! phone your consultant and do it now, today asap...... show them you mean business.......... try your pct, try your mp if you have to... it is unfair how you are being treated.......

SO my talking to you is FIGHT

Thanks Mandy - read my post above, already got my bum in gear and been on to the PCT (after being passed from pillar to post - finally spoke to the person I needed).

Thank you for your supporting words - they really do mean a lot at a time like this.

:hug99:

Gerry

Even better news !! Just had a reply to my email (which in all honesty I didn't expect to be read as I am not a patient with them yet) from the Consultant at Charing Cross Hospital who done my friend's op. He says to just get my GP to refer me straight to him and they will handle it all, no need to do all the faffing about seeking funding first, they do it all. :)

Feeling much better about it now :bliss:

Gerry

Well Doen Gerry..........

You get to your GP and gett the wheels in motion.......... ONWARDS and UPWARDS soon be on the track to slimdon
XX

Hi Gerry

I've just been catching up on some threads because I have been away this week as Mandy knows.

So sorry you have been through such a rough time I know how frustrating it is. I was referred to one hospital, psyched myself up as this is the beginning (as you do) then got to the appiontment to be told that they don't do the surgery and he can refer me to a weight loss clinic. I pointed out that on the letter it said Surgery which he just shrugged at. My Mum used to be a theatre sister and she knows him. I was actually referred to see Mr Moghul but this other Dr was running his clinic. I came out of there in tears and thought nobody was going to help me.

In the end my Mum paid for me to see Mr Moghul privately and although the PCT hasn't agreed the funding for him to do the surgery he helped me get the ball rolling.

You will get there Gerry and looking above it looks like you are finally getting somewhere.

Anyway keep your chin up and sorry not been in touch xx

It's ok Nic, I thought you must have been pre-occupied with something else as I'd not seen you around for a while.

That was an awful way for that Doctor to treat you. Did you report him? I would have.

I don't think they realise just how stressful it is in this kind of thing. Yes we all get stressed out about things, big and small, but when you have for years been wishing you were a more regular size, and you everntually take that huge decision to put yourself forward for major surgery like this, it is one hell of a comitment on your part. That's before going to the GP to ask about it! Then to end up with someone who leaves you feeling that it is no more significant to them than which jumper they put on that day - it leaves you reeling. They constantly drum into people that this is not a decision to be made lightly, yet they treat it lightly which rather makes a mockery of the whole thing. How are we supposed to keep our will power up for taking this step, when they treat it as something trivial? :(

I know I've got a little money set aside, but that is earmarked for mine and hubby's funeral expenses, and other really important stuff. If I used it to pay for the op, and (God forbid) something went wrong - well I'd end up in a cardboard box in the local pet cemetery, because all my funeral money would be gone. I just can't justify doing that, as it would affect the whole family. Then, even if everything was ok, I'd still be feeling guilty that I'd used the money for myself rather than for the whole family (it was my inheritance from my Aunt who died last year and whom I was very close to). I always treat the money as though it's not there, as it is all we have and is for dire emergency only.

Anyway, I will be popping this letter into the surgery over the weekend and will write urgent on it. I've asked the GP to call me to let me know that she has received it and what her views are on it (otherwise I can imagine it just being filed in my notes and not seen by her).

I'm glad I managed to find out something positive before the weekend anyway - wouldn't have made for a nice weekend thinking I had to go through this weight management course, at my own expense, with no garantee of getting the op at the end of it.

Gerry

Hi Gerry

Your exactly right in what you said, my Mum actually knew this Dr and said to me "If your seeing him it will be a waste of time"! and obviously she was proved right. We did tell Mr Moghul as Mum knows him too and he was so lovely, told me that weight issues take over your whole life and that whatever anybody else says it is genetic, he really understood and he has been the only one together with my own GP who is lovely that have been understanding.

I'm getting quite excited now about my appointment (sad I know) but its another step closer isn't it, no doubt by Monday I will be a nervous wreck!

Anyway sorry again I haven't been around, give me a shout anytime xx

I've done nothing but cry all afternoon. Cried in the car, cried in the loo, cried in my cup of tea...:cry:

I really don't feel that I can touch our meagre savings to go and have this op done privately. I'd feel so selfish when we have such a big family.

It just makes me peeved that my friend was given it without all this hassle (not that I begrudge her it by any means), and with all my disabilities and health problems, I have to waste time and money (the course is not free) to attend something which is totally useless to me.

Off to find a dry pillow to cry into :break_diet:

Gerry
:(

Aww Gerry hunny
I know just how you are feeling darling, I think that you should phone up your local PCT and discuss it with them, also get incontact with one of their dietitions.
Im thinking of you hun.

Lv Nessa xxx

Well, after a rotten mainly sleepless night, I got up today and made a list of people who I could phone to see if I can get round this 'spanner in the works'.

After chatting for nearly half an hour with the Department Manager at the PCT, I have been told that it is not necessary for me to attend this Weight Management course, as in my situation it would not be to my advantage. She has suggested I see my GP again and tell her what we have discussed and that she should write to the PCT, marking it for this lady's attention and ask for an assessment for Bariatric Surgery. She should also give full details of my disabilities and other conditions and state that this weight management course would not be beneficial to me, as it is designed for purely overweight people, not overweight people with disabilities such as mine. So, things are looking up again.

I could have done without that downer, and last night was seriously thinking about giving up (what a looser I am to even consider giving up so easily). I feel much more positive again now, especially since she has said that once I have passed the assessment, then I can have the op at any of the hospitals they are in partnership with - including Charring Cross :)

My apologies if I sounded like a right old manic depressive yesterday. It doesn't take me long to get back on my feet (unless I fall over :giggle:)

So....off to write my letter to the GP

Gerry
Oooo Gerry
I had not got this far down your thread when I wrote that last comment...... sorry.....
Hey you go hunny and get ya letter written, im so glad that you have taken the bull by the horns and started the ball rolling.
Well done you.
Wishing you all the luck in the world darlin'

Love Nessa:bliss::happy036:

Gerry

Thanks for the diet too hun, great help xxx

Hiya Gerry. Bit of a rollercoaster, eh hon? Hopefully more ups from now on. ;)

Thanks Nessa, Nic & Lyn.

I'm feeling back to how positive I was before now. We are taking the letter to put through the Doctor's door when we go out today Hubby taking me to buy a birthday pressie :p Not that I'm sure what I want yet. Probably more craft stuff or dolls house/miniature stuff. Off to a dolls house & miniatures fair tomorrow, so lots of opportunity to buy bits and pieces - yaaay !

Gerry

Thanks Nessa, Nic & Lyn.

I'm feeling back to how positive I was before now. We are taking the letter to put through the Doctor's door when we go out today Hubby taking me to buy a birthday pressie :p Not that I'm sure what I want yet. Probably more craft stuff or dolls house/miniature stuff. Off to a dolls house & miniatures fair tomorrow, so lots of opportunity to buy bits and pieces - yaaay !

Gerry

Hiya you

Hope you've had a good day and picked a nice pressie xx

Back