• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Feel a bit of a fraud for being here now...

D

I'm in Surrey, just outside of London. I have a postcode that comes within the Kingston area, but I live a bit further out than that. I've checked on the BOSPA site and we aparently come under the NICE Guidelines, which means that if you have a BMI of 35 - 40 and you have health problems that are affected by your weight, then you should get it. If you have a BMI over 40, you get it anyway, even without other health problems. My BMI is 46.4 so I guess that qualifies me, plus I have other health problems too. Still, not counting my chickens before they are hatched. I will have to wait and see what the doctor says later this month about the funding (assuming she has been able to find out anything by then).

Where did you have your op done? I think my friend said she had to go to Charring Cross hospital. Is that where you had yours done?

Gerry

hi gerry,
i had exactly the same guidelines so i automatically qualified, i didnt ask my gp i told her lol... i said i need a gastric bypass this is the surgeon ive chosen this is the hospital hes at could u send a refferal letter please.... and she did!!! my surgeon started off at st. georges in tooting but moved to university college hospital near euston. his name is mr albriec fiennes. he was excellent a little eccentric but i liked that... just be positive that you'll get it, see youself being told your getting it and see yourself getting slimmer believe it in your heart and it will happen. i truly believe in the power of positive thought!!!! it truly is amazing tho... the most i ever lost was a few stone on w.w and that took months and was really hard. with the bypass the weight drops off the first few months, it takes time to adjust and its not easy but it changes the way you eat without the willpower most overweight ppl lack. you do go thru a stage where you miss being able to eat the way you did but it passes and the weightloss the dropping clothes sizes the increased fitness and wellness makes the missing friend food worthwhile.... diets are just that.... short term diets most you cant maintain for life the bypass physically changes the way and what you eat for life so it isnt a diet anymore.... im gonna think positive thoughts for you and i know all is gonna go well for you....
Donna xxxxx;)

hi gerry,
i had exactly the same guidelines so i automatically qualified, i didnt ask my gp i told her lol... i said i need a gastric bypass this is the surgeon ive chosen this is the hospital hes at could u send a refferal letter please.... and she did!!! my surgeon started off at st. georges in tooting but moved to university college hospital near euston. his name is mr albriec fiennes. he was excellent a little eccentric but i liked that... just be positive that you'll get it, see youself being told your getting it and see yourself getting slimmer believe it in your heart and it will happen. i truly believe in the power of positive thought!!!! it truly is amazing tho... the most i ever lost was a few stone on w.w and that took months and was really hard. with the bypass the weight drops off the first few months, it takes time to adjust and its not easy but it changes the way you eat without the willpower most overweight ppl lack. you do go thru a stage where you miss being able to eat the way you did but it passes and the weightloss the dropping clothes sizes the increased fitness and wellness makes the missing friend food worthwhile.... diets are just that.... short term diets most you cant maintain for life the bypass physically changes the way and what you eat for life so it isnt a diet anymore.... im gonna think positive thoughts for you and i know all is gonna go well for you....
Donna xxxxx;)

Thank you so much for that very encouraging post Donna. I have actually felt very positive about the prospect of SWL since I made up my mind to have it. I don't know if the fact I have been so positive is anything to do with it (I hope so), but I weighed myself this morning and I am down to 20st 9lb 6oz. It's nice, but I am not overly excited as my period is due in about a fortnight, so I dare say I will put weight on in the lead up to that, and I do fluctuate a few pounds here and there anyway. I know just after Christmas I was over 21 stone (my heaviest) and I did have a record of it somewhere, but do you think I can find it:(. I want to know what I was at my heaviest, which that note would tell me, but it's done a runner on me.

I can't wait for 21st to come round to phone and see if my GP has any news on a referral. If I do end up at the same hospital as my friend, then that would be Charring Cross. I looked on their website yesterday and it says referrals are seen within four weeks, and surgery is usually 15 weeks after being aproved - so not that long at all. By my reckoning, that would be just after my holiday which would be ideal. Still, I'll have to be patient and wait and see.

Gerry
:)

Oh my God, why does the time go so slow? I know my GP is still not back from her hols yet, but I am tempted to ring the surgery and ask if there is any news about my referral! I'm so impatient. It seems like everyone else on here is moving forward and I'm stuck with my feet in the sand :(

I'm going to be so disappointed if I phone next Monday and she says "no news yet" :cry:

Gerry
;)

Oh my God, why does the time go so slow? I know my GP is still not back from her hols yet, but I am tempted to ring the surgery and ask if there is any news about my referral! I'm so impatient. It seems like everyone else on here is moving forward and I'm stuck with my feet in the sand :(

I'm going to be so disappointed if I phone next Monday and she says "no news yet" :cry:

Gerry
;)
Hiya again Gerry
When I first considered surgery I contacted TV's (Discovery Home & Health's) Fat Doctor 'Shaw Summers' via email, he gave me the most fantastic advice, he said that it would take me to be incredibly PRO-ACTIVE and told me that I would have to get into peoples faces i.e the PCT and it would be long hall ahead for me, that was 1 year ago and I am having my surgery next Monday.......
So dont be afraid to pick up the phone or write to the powers that be, I had to 'move things on' and I am just about to get there.
I can see that you are focused and derermined, so I am sure that you will get there too.
Nessa x

Oh Wow Nessa, I'll be thinking of you on Monday. How are you finding things at the moment? Have you been given a pre-op diet to follow? What sort of things are you allowed to eat in the week before the op? Will be looking forward to hearing all about it when you are out of hospital and back here to tell us how you got on. Can't wait to hear it all.

I'm just getting impatient and can't wait to start taking positive steps towards it.

Gerry

Nessa/Gerry

Sorry to burst into your thread but I am also in the same situation, I'm a bit further ahead of you Gerry in that I have finally got my appointment to see the Consultant on the 28th April. I originally went to see the doctor last July after trying every diet god sends and some more! My Mum was taking me to the Dr when I was 4 with weight issues so finally they are helping me. It does take ages it seems via the NHS but hopefully this is just the beginning for me too.

Nessa - great news for you and I will be thinking about you and would love to keep in touch as I go down the same road.

Gerry - have read all your posts and totally understand. I have had the same all my life people just think your lazy and are just so judgemental and all I get is "you have such a pretty face" and it feels like they are really saying "you are very big but you have a pretty face" as though thats some consolation.

It also doesn't help that my partner is 6ft and weighs about 12 stone and he just doesn't stop eating (and I don't mean healthily) and he just doesn't understand how I feel or how its affected my life.

Anyway would love to keep in touch with you both if thats ok and we can help each other through the journey.

Thinking of you both.

Nic xx

Oh Wow Nessa, I'll be thinking of you on Monday. How are you finding things at the moment? Have you been given a pre-op diet to follow? What sort of things are you allowed to eat in the week before the op? Will be looking forward to hearing all about it when you are out of hospital and back here to tell us how you got on. Can't wait to hear it all.

I'm just getting impatient and can't wait to start taking positive steps towards it.

Gerry
Iya Gerry
I am finding things difficult at the moment, I am scared stiff...... I think if I didnt have such bad asthma I would be feeling a lot better..... I have the thought that this is the 1st of a 2 stage procedure (Gastric Band and then turning it onto a Gastric Bypass at a later date), so that it a little dismaying, but finally I am about to board the starting blocks and that makes me feel exited in a weird kinda way.......
The pre-op diet is a very LOW CARB diet, it is hard I think, you have to weigh EVERYTHING out, a bit of a nightmare to be honest, but it is so important as I am having the op done lapascopicaly.
My surgeon is an ANGEL....... what a truly fantastic man, he was very honest with me, he had never turned down a patient before me, but he said my risks were so high and that he WAS NOT GOING TO LOOSE ME!!! So he sugested the 2 stage procedure, My surgeon is called Mr David Kerrigan, did you see the programme called LOOSE 30 STONE OR DIE? it was on ITV in December 07 and ITV2 Feb/March08.
Lose 30 Stone or Die is a unique film about a man who is so overweight that his own body is going to kill him within a year, and his painful struggle to reclaim his life. Thirty-six-year-old Colin weighs 48 stone and is a prisoner in his own home because his weight means he can’t even manage to walk more than a few steps.
Well David Kerrigan did Colins surgery, but what the film didn't tell you was that the procedure was done in 2 stages.... Now Colin looks fantastic.
Nessa xxx

Nessa/Gerry

Sorry to burst into your thread but I am also in the same situation, I'm a bit further ahead of you Gerry in that I have finally got my appointment to see the Consultant on the 28th April. I originally went to see the doctor last July after trying every diet god sends and some more! My Mum was taking me to the Dr when I was 4 with weight issues so finally they are helping me. It does take ages it seems via the NHS but hopefully this is just the beginning for me too.

Nessa - great news for you and I will be thinking about you and would love to keep in touch as I go down the same road.

Gerry - have read all your posts and totally understand. I have had the same all my life people just think your lazy and are just so judgemental and all I get is "you have such a pretty face" and it feels like they are really saying "you are very big but you have a pretty face" as though thats some consolation.

It also doesn't help that my partner is 6ft and weighs about 12 stone and he just doesn't stop eating (and I don't mean healthily) and he just doesn't understand how I feel or how its affected my life.

Anyway would love to keep in touch with you both if thats ok and we can help each other through the journey.

Thinking of you both.

Nic xx
Iya Nic
Good luck with your appointment hunny, I bet you are sooo exited!
What surgery are you hoping for?
Who are you going to see?
By all means we will keep intouch rite through out weightloss journeys, it is great to have buddies.
You have definately come to the right site for hep and support darling, you will find everything here in an abundance..... everyone is AMAZING.... I dont think that there is a question or quiery out there that can't be answered here by someone that knows forst hand, and that is invaluable when you are going to take on someting like this.
Well keep us informed on how you get on ect.
Lv Nessa xxx

Hi Nic & Nessa,

Many thanks for the replies. I think I did see that programme actually Nessa. That was one of the first I saw before there was a month of similar programmes on Sky or whatever. All of them really spurred me on.

Nic, you see your consultant on my Birthday ;). What area do you come under? It does seem a rather long time that you've had to wait. My friend saw her GP in September last year, and was offered the op in November initially, although she asked them to wait until the new year. I am really hoping to get mine done this year, otherwise I will start worrying and then not want to do it.

I had my first weird dream about it last night, that I was being prepared for surgery and they were putting an oxygen mask over my face and I started to panic :(. I think it was actually brought on by the fact that I ate some barbecue chicken last night, without realising it had paprika in it (which I am drastically allergic to). My whole neck, chest and face came up in huge red blotches and my throat was itching all night. I think that's probably why I had a bit of a panic attack in my sleep that provoked the dream - weird.

I still keep feeling positve about it, and keep making a mental list of things I want to do once I have lost weight :)

Gerry

Hi Nic & Nessa,

Many thanks for the replies. I think I did see that programme actually Nessa. That was one of the first I saw before there was a month of similar programmes on Sky or whatever. All of them really spurred me on.

Nic, you see your consultant on my Birthday ;). What area do you come under? It does seem a rather long time that you've had to wait. My friend saw her GP in September last year, and was offered the op in November initially, although she asked them to wait until the new year. I am really hoping to get mine done this year, otherwise I will start worrying and then not want to do it.

I had my first weird dream about it last night, that I was being prepared for surgery and they were putting an oxygen mask over my face and I started to panic :(. I think it was actually brought on by the fact that I ate some barbecue chicken last night, without realising it had paprika in it (which I am drastically allergic to). My whole neck, chest and face came up in huge red blotches and my throat was itching all night. I think that's probably why I had a bit of a panic attack in my sleep that provoked the dream - weird.

I still keep feeling positve about it, and keep making a mental list of things I want to do once I have lost weight :)

Gerry
Hi Gerry

Well I hope its a lovely day for you and a good day for me, start of a new journey!

I'm in the North West. To be fair the delay has been with my Dr. I saw her at the beginning of December and she told me she was writing to the PCT then but unfortunatley she didn't and it was in between xmas and New Year that the letter finally went off. I got the funding approved on the 10th January and then it took until nearly end of Feb for my Dr surgery to again send off the right paperwork.

I am going to Classic Hospitals at Macclesfield and it has been a wait of about 7 weeks to even get the appointment through for the Hospital and then the lady told me it's usually 2-3 months after that that the op is usually done, seems just a drag.

I keep having a load of weird dreams too but I also know its a side effect of the "happy pills" that I take but WOW they are odd and all this seems to be constantly on my mind too. I hope that I'll feel better after I've seen my consultant.

Did Nessa come back to you about whether she had to follow a pre-op diet and what it was?

Sorry if I've missed it, having a really bad day and just had a blazing row with my "boss" he's such a d*ckhead (excuse my french there)! God I really hate him and am seriously considering giving this job up and doing something new

Sorry I'm being a right miserable sod at the moment aren't I.

How's u anyway? Anything new about from the weird dreams??

Nic xx

Thanks for that Nic,

No, not heard back from Nessa about the diet yet. She must be busy (but I'll let her off ;)).

I've not had anymore dreams (at least last night) thankfully. I just hope I don't get too many more and I don't have to wait too long, otherwise I will start thinking of backing out which I really don't want as I feel so positive about this.

I'm not on any 'happy pills', I won't take them. Got the t-shirt already from a previous trip on them, never again. I fully appreciate they may work for some, but not for me. I felt stronger when I managed to wean myself off them (gradually). It was like my life opened up rather than being in 'limbo land' as I called it. Not trying to put you off, everyone is different.

Hubby and I are taking two of my daughters to Bluewater today, so that should be fun, not been there before.

Better go check the bank ballance before I start :D

Gerry

Thanks for that Nic,

No, not heard back from Nessa about the diet yet. She must be busy (but I'll let her off ;)).

I've not had anymore dreams (at least last night) thankfully. I just hope I don't get too many more and I don't have to wait too long, otherwise I will start thinking of backing out which I really don't want as I feel so positive about this.

I'm not on any 'happy pills', I won't take them. Got the t-shirt already from a previous trip on them, never again. I fully appreciate they may work for some, but not for me. I felt stronger when I managed to wean myself off them (gradually). It was like my life opened up rather than being in 'limbo land' as I called it. Not trying to put you off, everyone is different.

Hubby and I are taking two of my daughters to Bluewater today, so that should be fun, not been there before.

Better go check the bank ballance before I start :D

Gerry
Hi Gerry

Hope your trip to bluewater was a good one and not too expensive for you!!

I'm like you and I hope I don't have to wait too long as I'm panicking over the damn appointment let alone the op and even though I want this so much if its a long wait I'll start talking myself out of it, anyway only a week and a weekend to go before I have my appointment now and going to have such a busy week next week so hopefully that will keep me calm.

Keep in touch xx

Hi Gerry

Hope your trip to bluewater was a good one and not too expensive for you!!

I'm like you and I hope I don't have to wait too long as I'm panicking over the damn appointment let alone the op and even though I want this so much if its a long wait I'll start talking myself out of it, anyway only a week and a weekend to go before I have my appointment now and going to have such a busy week next week so hopefully that will keep me calm.

Keep in touch xx

Hi Nic,

Bluewater was a bit of a wash out for us. Most money we spent was having a McDonalds for brekkie when we arrived. Other than that we spent less than £10 and that was only on some bits from Claires Accessories for my youngest. I was in search of a dolls house shop which I was told was there, but seems to have disappeared now. Oh well.

Got to phone the doctors today to see if they have heard anything about the funding or referral or anything at all. My guess is that I will phone and leave the message, but won't hear back. If the GP has been away, then unless she started the ball rolling before she went, then it won't have progressed any further. Still, will have to wait and see I guess. Won't phone first thing or they will be up to their eyes in people wanting appointments and will do the usual "call again later when we are not so busy" (which is understandable).

It's a good idea to keep yourself busy to take your mind off things. Not long to go now until your appointment ;)

Will post here later if there is any result from the docs.

Gerry

Hi Nic,

Bluewater was a bit of a wash out for us. Most money we spent was having a McDonalds for brekkie when we arrived. Other than that we spent less than £10 and that was only on some bits from Claires Accessories for my youngest. I was in search of a dolls house shop which I was told was there, but seems to have disappeared now. Oh well.

Got to phone the doctors today to see if they have heard anything about the funding or referral or anything at all. My guess is that I will phone and leave the message, but won't hear back. If the GP has been away, then unless she started the ball rolling before she went, then it won't have progressed any further. Still, will have to wait and see I guess. Won't phone first thing or they will be up to their eyes in people wanting appointments and will do the usual "call again later when we are not so busy" (which is understandable).

It's a good idea to keep yourself busy to take your mind off things. Not long to go now until your appointment ;)

Will post here later if there is any result from the docs.

Gerry
Hi Gerry

Its very frustrating isn't it with the Dr but keep going it will all be worth it!

Only 1 week to go now before my first appointment and I do have a busy week this week fortunately so as Zoe told me to do see next week as the first day of a "new" me.

Hope you had a good weekend and let me know if you hear anything xx

Well I phoned the doctors just before they shut for lunch so that the receptionist could pass the message on to the doctor at lunch time. It's now nearly 7.30pm and she's not called back yet :(.

I guess I kind of didn't expect to get the message I hoped for today, so will just have to wait until she phones. If I've not heard anything by the middle of the week I'll have to phone again.

Just like the flippin solicitor I have dealing with an accident I had in 2006. She never returns calls. People like that really hack me off - it's so rude (not talking about my GP yet - she may be finding out the info before she calls me so will give it time). Ho hum :(

Gerry
:(

Well I'm feeling pretty miffed :mad: As requested by the GP a few weeks ago, I phoned on Monday to tell her how my leg was, and leave my phone number for her to call me back regarding the GBP surgery. I'd not heard anything, so phoned again today and was told by a different receptionist that when someone is asked to call like this, that the call is noted in their file, and a link sent to the Doctor so they can click on it to read it and action it. There was no such note ever put on my file - so the receptionist I spoke to the other day didn't bother passing my message on :mad:. Anyway, this one has put it in my notes, and read it back to me and said the GP is in again tomorrow and will get the link to it then and should hopefully call me tomorrow. Trivial in some ways, but what if it had been really important (ok, it is to me, but it could have been something really urgent! Grrrrr).

So, back to the waiting game to see if she calls tomorrow now.

Saw my friend who had the surgery in January, and she has given me the diet booklet and sheets she was given to follow. Looks tricky as they suggest lots of food I don't really eat, but I guess the worst bit will be the pre-op diet, as I will still feel hungry. Afterwards I will probably not feel hungry and will be grateful for any kind of food when I am, that it won't worry me too much.

Time to collect the squids from school.

Gerry

Hi Gerry......

What booklet, did your friend give you........ I am looking for ideas on what to do for my pre op diet which i plan to start on MOnday!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about your drs surgery, I hate it when that happens!!!!!!!! But have to say this is important to you and urgent.... you spent all day waiting for a phone call..... its wrong cause if they are meant to log the call then why didnt she, it is her job..... SORRY for ranting for you it gets me so annoyed.....

Fingers crossed for tomorrow...

Pre Op Diet

Thanks Mandy - I am pretty peeved about it. There was me thinking she might call back on Monday, and purposely didn't go out in case she called (same yesterday) when she didn't even know I'd called. Now she's off today and won't be in until tomorrow :(.

The booklet is just one that the hospital (Charring Cross) have put together. 'Diet for Gastric Bypass'.

I'll try and copy some of it here, so apologies if this gets a bit long:

Pre-Operative Diet for Bariatric Surgery

The aim of this diet is to reduce the glycogen stores in the body, especially those in the liver. This results in the liver 'shrinking' in size making it easier to move.

During laparascopic or 'keyhole' surgery, the liver has to be lifted out of the way to access the stomach lying beneath it. If the liver is heavy, fatty and immobile, it is harder for the surgeon to see and gain access to the stomach underneath.

To reduce the glycogen stores in the liver, it is necessary to follow a diet that is low in carbohydrate, low in fat and high in protein. Foods high in starchy carbohydrate include bread, rice, potato, pasta and cereals. You will loose weight by following this diet, but more importantly, your liver will shrink and can be moved more easily making the operation safer.

For the diet to be successful, it is important to stick to it for the full two weeks. There may be a temptation to have a special/larger meal prior to surgery, however, if you do this, this will reverse the liver reducing effects of the diet.

How long will I have to follow this diet?

It is recommended that you follow this diet for 2 weeks prior to your surgery only. It is not to be continued after the operation.

How much carbohydrate amd I allowed?

The diet is designed to give you approximately 100g of carbohydrate per day. It is low in fat (although the extent to which will depend on the foods chosen) and moderate in protein. The energy value of the diet is between 800 - 1000 kcal. The following sample menu plan shows you what a typical day's intake may include.

Breakfast (15g carbohydrate)
3tbsp of Brandflakes or Fruit & Fibre orCornflakes
OR 1 Shredded wheat
OR 1.5 Weetabix
OR 5tbsp of All Bran
OR 4tbsp of Rice Krispies
OR 25g of rolled oats
OR 1 slice medium sliced toast with scraping of margarine

Lunch (15 - 20g carbohydrate)
1 slice medium sliced breat/toast
OR 2 crispbreads
OR 0.5 bagel
OR 0.5 pitta bread

With:
2 Eggs
OR 60g / 2oz cheese (2 x matchbox size)
OR 8 thin packet slices of ham, chicken or turkey
OR small chicken breast without skin
OR 4 rashers of grilled back bacon
OR 100g/4oz (small portion) meat
OR 2 grilled sausages
OR 100g/4oz tinned fish

With vegetables/salad (no dressing)

Evening Meal (20g carbohydrate)

2 average old potatoes (boiled or mashed)
OR 4 egg sized new potatoes with skin
OR 2 small roast potatoes
OR 2 tbsp cooked rice (any variety)
OR 2 tbsp cooked pasta (any variety)
OR 40 strands of spaghetti (count when raw!)

With:
2 eggs
OR 60g/2oz cheese (2 x matchbox size)
OR 8thin packet slices of ham, chicken or turkey
OR 4 rashers grilled back bacon
OR 100g/4oz (small portion) meat
OR 100g/4oz tinned fish
OR 100g/4oz tofu or quorn

With vegetables/salda (no dressing).

Allowances throughout the day (40g carbohydrate)

1/3 pint/200ml milk for drinks & cereal
2 portions of fruit/2 x 100ml fruit juice
Unlimited water, tea, coffee, low calories squash, low calorie fizzy drinks
One small pot (125g) low fat, low sugar yoghurt per day (diet or 'lite' varieties).

It is important not to eat less than the specified portions of carbohydrate as this can make you feel unwell. Other foods on the menu will provide you with protein and fat. The inclusion of these foods means that it should not be necessary for you to take any vitamin or mineral supplement.

Hope that helps anyone who wanted to know what it entails. I don't think I will find it too difficult - maybe just the breakfast, as out of that list I only eat Rice Krispies or toast, so will have either of them with a piece of fruit from the allowance.

I'll probably use my 1/3 pint of milk in tea but I like low calorie squash too, plus the yoghurt would be nice as a dessert after the evening meal and the other piece of fruit as a snack. If I feel hungry, then a low calorie fizzy drink does wonders for filling me up.

It looks rather boring to start with, but when you look at the evening meal, mashed potato with chicken breast and veg just looks like a normal dinner. I don't think it will be difficult at all.

Gerry

Back