• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Feel like a newbie again

I asked my dietitian and full nurse about damage to the band. They have all said if I was damaging my band I would be in a lot of discomfort when I am eating

Band slippage is mostly from vomiting. It inflames the tissue which supports the band and the constant inflamation causes the tissue supporting the band to break down. This happens mostly when the band is too tight

It is unlikely that I am stretching my pouch. According to my dietitian this happens mostly in the early days after surgery and again I would be experiencing discomfort when I eat

I very rarely feel any discomfort. On the odd occasion I have had pain after I have eaten but not during a meal. This has only happened to me at most 4 times in eight months

I am
Considering having another fill. I know my band does work to some extent. I do not feel as hungry as I did pre band and I can go for longer without food

If I had any blooming will power I would have the best of both worlds a fairly unrestricted band which would let me deal with social occasions and the tool to help me diet

Monalisa. Just read through this whole thread again. Do you know what caused your problems with your band

I'm repeating what my team have told me. But I guess there must be different reasons for some of the band problems. These were the answers they gave me in response to my concerns because I can eat so much and was terrified I have damaged my
Band

This is one of the reasons I have not had more fills ;-)

Hi kursty
Thank you. No I don't really know I suffered for a long time with heartburn reflux which led to oesophagitis and resulted in nothing staying down towards the end. I went round and round in circles from pillar to post as my private aftercare had run out and my gp put me under a GI team who all kept saying it wasn't band related and refused to X-ray me I wish to god in hindsight I'd just paid for an X-ray but I thought it was just my OCD ways cos all the consultants including one who was also trained bariatric! Said that I didn't need one they gave me endoscopy instead. Eventually two years later more by luck my consultant left and my doctor referred me to a nhs bariatric hospital who immediately xrayed me and diagnosed pouch dilation emptied my band for three months and it went back into place it was then slowly refilled but symptoms came back and a further X-ray showed pouch was back maybe if they'd have caught it sooner I'd have been lucky. They then said it had gone to far and if I wanted to keep the band it had to be repositioned I was lucky that I got nhs funding for this as they considered it a medical necessity, when they operated they said the pouch dilation had resulted in an anterior slip with adhesions. I followed all the rules the first time around and was devastated it had happened to me when I asked why they said the most common reasons are eating too much or being too tight if I had to say I'd guess at too tight although I wasn't Aware of it. This is why I was panicking last week when I could eat larger portions again and was seeking some reassurance from others I am trying my utmost again to follow all the rules but as you know at times with no restriction portion size is hard. Think I am worrying more this time round xxx

Go on to Chrystal rainbows diary. She has just posted an amazing link about restriction not being what we understand it to be. I read it last night and am gobsmacked. I will be changing my ways

I wolf my food
I eat large portions
It explains that people who are successful go for fils when they get hungry sooner between meals not because of portion size

I so wish I had read this article at the start of my journey

She posted this in the last couple of days it should be easy to find

That is a very interesting article I definitely must the band to tell me when I am full maybe that's why I ended up with pouch dilation first time around I shall try and pay a lot more attention to portion size and hope I haven't done any harm over the last couple of weeks relying on the band for fullness
Thanks x

Its an amazing article eh girls .... i suppose being under the NHS waiting for such a long time for my band, it was drummed home how it works and why blah blah..... to begin with i couldn't get my head around it because nobody else seemed to be privy to the same info that i was given.......i thought i'd gotten it wrong....lol i trusted what the hospital told me and so far so good..... and i've gotten here with an empty band (so far) it was a brilliantly written article, explaining it perfectly...... i'm pretty sure if everyone read it and understood it better there would be a lot more successful banders..... i think were all fooled into thinking its going to stop us from eating ...... far from it lol i know from experience that the 20 20 20 is the key, it stimulates the nerve and in time with practice it does begin to tell you when your full.... the hard part is sticking to it....especially when life gets in the way...... i just wish everyone could read it, even if it give a wee light-bulb moment :) i will re post regularly over the months as a reminder to us all :)

Thanks crystal
If you don't mind me asking how comes you have an empty band and haven't had any fills? I'm intrigued lol x

Thanks crystal
If you don't mind me asking how comes you have an empty band and haven't had any fills? I'm intrigued lol x

LOL its odd ehhh :) i had my band fitted via the NHS so its slightly different as the agenda isn't to keep filling the band unless your not losing weight of course.... so that me really.....doing so well they have never wanted to fill lol i went for my yearly check up just recently and they still say i've done so amazingly well there's no point tinkering now !!! so not sure i will ever have a fill.......of course if i'm really struggling i will be in touch and start some fills but so close to target now seems silly as i seem to be able to manage just by following the rules........... although i have a had a month long stall/diet break..... but am pretty sue i can get my head back in the one soon :rolleyes:
we shall see LOL :8855:

I said right at the start of my journey that i felt i only needed help to get a couple of stone off !!! and i was right :) eating better and able to walk again its been a life changing journey thats for sure x x x x

We'll done you I must admit that if I don't have the right fill my portion size increases so I am go to have to try a bit harder this time around you must have very strong willpower x

I just had a huge desire to get my life and health back...... at 23.2 stone my life was pretty much over...... i didn't want to be around frankly...... ill health had not helped.... i had given up on life pretty much.... the NHS offered me this life changing opportunity, i wasn't going to waste it :) now 11 stone down (since my heaviest) here i am, health better (although not 100%) full of life and waiting for the next instalment :)

all we can do is our best hun :) if the desire is there you will win thru x x x x x

Awh thanks Crystal I lost six stone the first time so fingers crossed I can get off what I've put on got about two and half stone to go I'm not in the best of places myself I am very lonely at times and would love to find a new partner my husband left me years ago cos I put on weight!! Maybe I'll be lucky one day x

its never easy being alone.... but hunni you have chosen to take the path to a new improved you.....sod the man who leaves when times get tough, or heavens forbid when we gain some weight..... he's really not worth bothering with..... you need a man to love you inside and out, for better for worse...... and he will love you regardless :) but hey the first step is learning to love ourselves again ..... this path you have chosen is the first steps towards that :) and trust me when you love yourself again the right one will come around x x x x x x x

Monalisa buoy have been quiet on here recently chic ..... Thanks for dropping by my diary to offer support.

Keep posting on here and become part of our gang lol xxx

I will I've been a bit down after an initial weight loss following my second surgery in January I've lost nothing! All I seem to do is worry if the band is right now or not been for a fill today so come back on to try and get in the zone and I truly know how you feel when it all goes wrong you just think why me but you will get fixed anything you want to know about revision just shout and my second op was easier to recover from than my first so that might cheer you up a little x

Back