• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Feeling so depressed :-(

Paula Garner

It's been almost 2 years since I started this journey. Even though I'm determined to see it through till the end, it seems to be getting harder and harder.

I'm still no closer to getting a date for my surgery (which I was assured would be around now) and the lack of communication from the hospital is frustrating and making me more anxious day by day.

I'm fed up of jumping through hoops. It's getting physically and mentally harder for me every day. My hips and back are killing me, I'm always short of breath, I'm self conscious about what others think of me, and most of all I'm fed up of being fat !!

Don't know how much more of this I can take.

Hi Paula

Please dont give up, u will get there ....
I know exactly what you are going through, many times i have almost given up, felt like i was baning my head against a brick wall when phoning and getting nowhere..
Big hugs xx

Nicky x

Its not going to be much longer, think positive, its going to happen this year. Hang in there.

Kim

Hang in there hun, I'm gonna be at ur stage one day n u'll be telling me same thing ' hang in there ' xxxx

Hang in hun! It'll happen.

Xo

Hi josie
I was placed on the waiting list at derby in november 1 month after Paula. I've been told I'm near the top of the list but no more info than that. I have been told at all my hospital appointments that it is a 12 month waiting list. I think they do the pre op assessment about 4 weeks beforehand and from my experience they don't give you much notice for that appointment. So you don't hear anything for months then it all happens fairly quickly once we get the date. Can't wait :)

What date were you placed on the waiting list Josie? I'm trying build a timeline so I can gauge when people before me get their dates for derby then I will have a rough idea :)
Where do you live? I'm in Lincoln x

Not too far behind, I was listed on 23rd nov and Paula was October. Once Paula gets her date we should not be too long afterwards! Just need to find somebody listed in September now then we will get a heads up even sooner lol! X

Do what I did, hun and hound them night and day! Sometimes it pays to be persistent.
I constantly got my doctor to chase the hospital up, and that seemed to get things moving alone nicely :)

like you I had so many hurdles to get to my surgery. lost letters, changes to process of funding (twice!!) was a nightmare. spoke to my doctor dec 2009 and had surgery jan 2012!! after many tears I got there and 21 weeks post op all i can say is wow. I feel fab. so keep your chin up as your turn will come soon and before you know it you will be posting your losses on here. Hope you get some good news soon xx

Hi Paula,

My turn to help you x
When the application was going through from the doctors to the pct I rang them every other week.
To find out what stage I was at,and it was a good job really,as my forms got lost so had to get the doctor to resend.
Once I knew it was at the pct I would ring them too all the time!
I also sent them copies of current medical issues I had to support my application for funding,as was quite lucky that another surgeon had written me a letter to send them in favour of me having a bypass as loosing weight was very beneficial especially in my case.
Once the pct had confirmed I had funding,I then was in regular contact with his secretary.
So what I'm trying to say is ring,ring,pester and if you can gather any additional evidence,(it helped me)...
I was worried at times they would be thinking i was a pest!!
But if you don't do it,nobody else will,and I didn't care I wanted this so badly.

Keep your chin up,
You will get there in the end xxx

Thank you all do much for your kind words. I'm sorry about moaning, but I know you guys here will understand more than anyone else what this wait feels like.

I just can't wait to feel normal.

Hi i feel the same its been nearly 3 years now ,i am on surgeons waiting list now at kings collage hospital .A couple of people i know have had operations within two years ,some hospitals seem to take a lot longer ,but i personally feel that even if my op date was next year just knowing a date would help you prepair yourself its just the not knowing.BUT WE WILL GET THERE IN THE END XX:jelous:

Hiya Paula,

You know that this is exactly where I was just a couple of weeks ago - you replied on my very similar post!

What a difference a week makes! I got offered my date last Friday night. I was expecting my op in July, but got a cancellation. I have been on this journey nearly 2 years too.
Once you get that call, the last 2 years frustrations will go right out of the window. But I really think that the hardest time is being so close but not having a date to focus on.

Why don't you ring to check that they have correct contact details for you? You can always ask them about times while you are on the phone.

It's so hard watching everyone else get their dates too, but you will be getting yours anytime. You just have a short time in the grand scheme of it!

I really really hope you hear soon. And at least there's loads of people on here going through the same thing!

Em x

I'm normally a really positive person, but it's really getting to me now. I'm trying my best not to let it get me down, but it's getting harder.

I was taken off the list at the beginning of the year, as there was an issue with my funding. But I was assured that when it was resolved, I would go back on the list in my original place. I'm beginning to wonder now if I've been put to the back of the queue again :-/

Hi Paula

It wouldn't hurt to ring and enquire especially considering the problem you had with being removed from the list. It must be really disappointing not hearing anything when they told you it would be around this time when you get your op x

The last time I rang and spoke to mr Ahmed's secretary, she wasn't very nice to me. So it's put me off a bit.

Got excited when I came home from work and found a letter with an NHS stamp on it waiting for me....yay!!!

It was an invite to have a cervical smear......boo!!!

Lol

Back