• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Fern Britain admits to gastric band surgery

KD

Yeah I read that too. Am impressed with what she has achieved.

The difference with Anne Diamond and Fern Briton is Anne Diamond was on a show where the competition was to lose weight, by having gastric surgery I felt she cheated. Fern Briton wasn't in a competition. Not trying to justify why she has surgery. To lose weight one has to choose the best route to weight loss that suits them. Ultimately we all have to control what we eat in order to maitain any weightloss not matter what method of weightloss we lose, otherwise we all go back to square one.

The difference with Anne Diamond and Fern Briton is Anne Diamond was on a show where the competition was to lose weight, by having gastric surgery I felt she cheated. Fern Briton wasn't in a competition. Not trying to justify why she has surgery. To lose weight one has to choose the best route to weight loss that suits them. Ultimately we all have to control what we eat in order to maitain any weightloss not matter what method of weightloss we lose, otherwise we all go back to square one.

Ah but, shes still in the public eye as was Anne Diamond at the time and kept the surgery to herself like Anne. Inevitably, the press will compare them.:(

waste of money, if you compare her 3stone weight loss over 2yrs to some of the people doing this VLCD. take a look at the tickers and the results are there for all to see.

I totally agree with Kira, Anne Diamond was ONLY slated for her surgery because she was in a competition and it was considered 'cheating' as part of the competition.

Fern Britton has only done this for herself and seems to be making it clear that it was a personal decision and although she is pleased with the results she is in no way endorsing it.

Unfortunately in the celeb world you can't sneeze without it being reported in the news

waste of money, if you compare her 3stone weight loss over 2yrs to some of the people doing this VLCD. take a look at the tickers and the results are there for all to see.
Not everyone is able to stick to a VLCD so I don't see how the comparison can be made. I do 6 hours of martial arts a week and VLCD's would not allow me to do that.

At the end of the day, it's horses for courses. What works for one may not work for another. I personally would not consider gastric surgery but I fully support my friends decision to do it as it's right for her

:D Good luck to her is all i say, we are all here to achieve the same goal, weight loss by whatever means, we have got a knack in this country of rubbishing peoples good efforts, and she does look good for it :D

She did say it was through healthy eating and exercise (cycling) alone and so did her husband and her agent, so very naughty of them to say that and the News of the World caught her out in a fib. So much better to be honest, it was nothing to be ashamed of but to dispute having surgery when all along she did and saying it was just through a healthy lifestyle and exercise, is a lie.

when i first decided to have my band, i was in 2 minds as to whether go public about it or not. i felt that if i told everyone, i would be under pressure to perform and that people might feel it was their business to ask me routinely what i had lost etc.... but on the other hand, my world is pretty small and i knew that those who matter would support me, which is what i needed so i went public.

if i were a celebrity tho...and one widely adored by the nation i think i would have kept it to myself too. fern must have figured that she would have been under media debate....shows having phone-in votes on whether she should do it or not. then she would have been constantly hounded by all these women mags and the press for weekly updates. she probably would have even been slated for 'only' losing 3 stones. she would be photographed in restaurants and put up for utter ridicule. she may have been slated for advertising low fat snacks whilst personally favouring surgery.

what a circus that all would have been and how would that have affected her success? how would it have made the public feel? i would be sick of the sight of her if there had been constant reports on her minute by minute progress.

on top of all that....she would have been publicly endorsing surgery when for her it was a very personal choice. not up for debate, phone-in votes, womens mags comparing her to Anne Diamond and all that malarky.

good on her....i would have done exactly the same. i went public because sadly, my world ends at the school playground and no one really cares what i do but in her shoes, i wouldnt have wanted the world making it their business when its no ones choice but hers.

ya gotta love fern...she must have cringed every time she was spread over these mags and analysed for her weight loss. it must have been hard going public over something she would have personally felt didnt need justifying. poor woman. now she looks fab and is happy with what shes done so i doubt she will care what the media make of it now. well done Fern xxxx

She did say it was through healthy eating and exercise (cycling) alone and so did her husband and her agent, so very naughty of them to say that and the News of the World caught her out in a fib. So much better to be honest, it was nothing to be ashamed of but to dispute having surgery when all along she did and saying it was just through a healthy lifestyle and exercise, is a lie.
I agree there's no reason to lie. It gives false hope to anyone who was inspired by her loss. And as Allan said, we all find the way that works for us and no one should be rubbished for whatever choice they make

I feel disappointed! I have no right to but I do. I kind of had her on this ' Fern's done it the sensible way and it can be achieved' pedestal and now I think ok, she has done it but she needed surgery to do it. She is (or seems to be) a lovely person who whilst on the cuddly side was happy; then she did all the cycling etc.. and healthy eating and that eveidently STILL wasn't enough. i think she looks lovely now, I thought she looked lovely before, I just think it's a bit sad that she had to resort to surgery when it seemed like she was already doing all the right things.

i didnt know there was outright lies. that isnt great but even so...i think being a public figure making a private decision must have been a nightmare. remember all that clinton stuff where they told him he wouldnt be lying if he said he didnt have relations with that woman because the definition of the act cleared him etc... well...theres nothing to say she wasnt under the same pressure behind the scenes. her agent climbing the walls about her ryvita deal and whatnot.

im not condoning the lies but it was never anyone elses business and she isnt lying when she says that cycling, walking and eating less will help people lose weight. so it isnt how she did it but if people were following what they thought was her example, surely they lost weight anyways? and if they didnt, because their will was weak, or whatever reason...well that still isnt her fault. it wasnt like she was telling people she lost weight with ryvita...she did some gimmick ads for them that took the mick out of her weight. it isnt as if she was ever telling people to eat kebabs and crisps in order to lose weight either.

wow...thats a bit bare faced, isnt it? i would have done the same as she did but i wouldn't outright BS like that. nothing wrong with her keeping to herself she had surgery but i don't think its very cool to outwardly rubbish the idea if it is in fact true. she should have said nowt to begin with or admitted it then!

Back