• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Fern Britain admits to gastric band surgery

I know what you mean but both could be true. As I understand it (and I could be talking nonsense) if you have a GB your body won't tolerate fatty foods and therefore your diet has to be healthy and it could also be that some of the products she endorsed do form part of her meal plan.

Gx

Personally I think it is her decission, on who she wants to tell, just because she is in the media why is everyone making a fuss about it..... the papers can be very cruel you are either to fat or to skinny, they never let up.... you look at all the people on here who are having some sort of weightloss surgery..........

Ok so she wasnt a hundred per cent honest about it but who really cares, in many ways it is good to see a celebrity go threw and understand what we are all going threw, no-one takes this surgery lightly, wether it is the band or bypass.......

Lets give the woman a break, i admire her........

I don't want to speak out of turn, but until you have had a gastric band fitted and gone through the surgery and aftercare, you really don't know what its like. As I said in an earlier post, it takes time for the band to be adjusted in order to restrict food intake sufficiently to provide proper support to lose the weight and then keep it off.

The band is a TOOL... not a magic wand! Fern will have to have exercised, dieted and made healthy choices when eating. The tool will help her keep the weight off... the surgery did not make the fat dissappear! She had to work at it. I know because I have a band.

It is her business, not the media's. I'm sure she is being hounded by 'know it all's' who DON'T have a band, know very little about the procedure or the fact it is simply a tool. The stomach is reduced in size by a band, a band with a whopping great hole in it, which is reduced in size by adding saline! Food still goes through it, ALL sorts of food... including the foods that made us this fat in the begining.... It will help with QUANTITY control but it won't stop you eating chocolate or other foods which have high sugar or fat contents!

Fern made her choice, i'm sure an informed choice. Maybe she did follow the 'Ryvita' diet, in fact if she said she did then why not believe her.

Choosing surgery is a big decision and I for one am glad I made that choice. There are plenty of websites out there if anyone is interested in finding out more. I personally am a member of Sos - Surgical Obesity Solutions If you read the forum/message boards you will see how much of a struggle losing the lard can be with a band. I think its time we gave Fern a break... But maybe I'm biased!

Sorry for ranting!

I don't want to speak out of turn, but until you have had a gastric band fitted and gone through the surgery and aftercare, you really don't know what its like. As I said in an earlier post, it takes time for the band to be adjusted in order to restrict food intake sufficiently to provide proper support to lose the weight and then keep it off.

The band is a TOOL... not a magic wand! Fern will have to have exercised, dieted and made healthy choices when eating. The tool will help her keep the weight off... the surgery did not make the fat dissappear! She had to work at it. I know because I have a band.

It is her business, not the media's. I'm sure she is being hounded by 'know it all's' who DON'T have a band, know very little about the procedure or the fact it is simply a tool. The stomach is reduced in size by a band, a band with a whopping great hole in it, which is reduced in size by adding saline! Food still goes through it, ALL sorts of food... including the foods that made us this fat in the begining.... It will help with QUANTITY control but it won't stop you eating chocolate or other foods which have high sugar or fat contents!

Fern made her choice, i'm sure an informed choice. Maybe she did follow the 'Ryvita' diet, in fact if she said she did then why not believe her.

Choosing surgery is a big decision and I for one am glad I made that choice. There are plenty of websites out there if anyone is interested in finding out more. I personally am a member of Sos - Surgical Obesity Solutions If you read the forum/message boards you will see how much of a struggle losing the lard can be with a band. I think its time we gave Fern a break... But maybe I'm biased!

Sorry for ranting!

YOU RANT AWAY................

You said exactly what i think... I have had the bypass and agree with everthing you said, it doesnt just disappear you still have to work at it going.......

SO exactly lets give fern a break.........

XXX

i agree too. i was listening to the radio in the car yesterday and they were having a phone-in to discuss whether or not the public think she has "cheated". it made me so ruddy mad! i imagine this is exactly the crud she was trying to avoid.

Very well said. There is so much ignorance about it. People think it is a quick fix but it's not.

The only thing I think she done 'wrong' is that by keeping it quiet she has compounded the stigma attached to WLS. Had she have said from the time she started losing the weight "This is what I've done and this is how it works" then people would have listened and not lynched the poor woman. Rightly or wrongly people now feel duped.

I'm not saying she doesn't have the right to a private life but anyone so fiercely in the public eye KNOWS that anything as drastic as a huge weight loss will be public interest

I think she was keeping it to herself incase it didn't work for as it doesn't for everyone....that's my only thought
And I totally agree with you (1st time for everything :p) but when it started to work she perhaps should have explained about what she'd done, why she'd done it and how hard it would still be to lose weight. It possibly would have broken down some barriers and made it easier for those who have had/are considering WLS to feel that the surgery is not such a taboo subject.

On the basis Fern didn't disclose her decision to have surgery to the world and his wife before undergoing the knife.... There would NEVER have been a right time to share this information!

IMO If she had told the world from the word go, she would have been unindated with people telling her not to do it.... then there are those who would have been waiting for her to FAIL... and because the weight doesn't get whizzed away by the 'fat fairies' she would have been subjected to 2 years of pergatory for not having melted overnight.... So, that said, Fern was in a lose lose situation and I think that is really sad!

She seems to be a great person and is clearly very popular! But hey... its human nature that the world and his wife feels they have the right to comment and judge others without knowing ALL the facts!

I guess it was a lose/lose situation but she has been quoted as saying that she has lost it purely with diet and exercise.

I personally couldn't give a monkey's what she has or hasn't done and I have very little interest in the celeb world in general. I think people are given role-model status for no apparent reason and are then expected to live their life according to these expectations and when they don't thay are torn down because of it.

Anyone who willingly goes into the public eye knows that their private life will forever be up for scrutiny and criticism by us mere mortals and should not be surprised when secrets come out and people want answers. It may not be right and it is a harsh way to live your life but that IS the life she chose for herself.

I guess it was a lose/lose situation

Dead right there. I was just wondering....if I was a celeb (still working on it ;)), would I have admitted to doing Cambridge?

Don't think I would, because I really believe that the majority should try healthy eating and exercise first and foremost.

Dead right there. I was just wondering....if I was a celeb (still working on it ;)), would I have admitted to doing Cambridge?

Don't think I would, because I really believe that the majority should try healthy eating and exercise first and foremost.
It's really interesting that you say that. VLCD's are extreme, as is surgery, but wouldn't you rather stand up on your own podium and say "this is the path I have chosen for myself after careful consideration but I still believe that healthy eating and exercise should always be tried first" Rather than waiting for the lions to descend and never get the chance to put your side across?

Rather than waiting for the lions to descend and never get the chance to put your side across?

nah...I'd wait for the lions, then escape to some well known rehab to deal with another issue:rolleyes:
wouldn't you rather stand up on your own podium and say "this is the path I have chosen for myself after careful consideration but I still believe that healthy eating and exercise should always be tried first"
In an ideal world, but unfortunately these days, nothing is ideal. The media would strip away my healthy eating quote and run away with the headlines

"Celeb tells all to give up eating". Then there would be umpteen interviews where I had to justify my use of a VLCD...to which people would still misunderstand and tell me that if I thought healthy eating was best, why didn't I do it?:rolleyes:

There again..I might spill all in the first place, but I would probably have waited to see if it worked first.

Can imagine what fun it would have been had I announced every diet I have ever done as I did it, before trying it out first :D

Diet on (monday)
Diet off (Tuesday) repeat for nearly 40 years :D

Come to think of it, I didn't even tell my own kids for 3 months :D

When I found out I was felt quite strongly about it and was very disappointed with Fern. After all, for many years she was a 'big girl' ambassador claiming she was happy being big (we all know thats seldom not true) and that she didnt feel she needed to lose weight.

Then we have all the magazines giving us details of 'ferns miracle diet' including the ryvita ads. It was all very misleading, but do agree she was in a no win situation.

I must admit to feeling a bit envious when It came out, mainly because I thought lucky thing having the money to do it! I was wishing I could have one myself. I thought it was an easy way to lose weight, but now after reading the SOS website that fatchick added earlier I realise how wrong I was....

People who have had a band still have to work very hard to lose the weight, if anything I think its harder. Food must become a real battle, to find exactly what you can or cant eat.

I cant believe that you cant eat normal bread, pasta or things like that anymore!! I thought you could eat more or less what you wanted but in much much smaller portions. Thankyou fatchick for sharing that site with us, its certainly opened my eyes.

And I think that what is at the crux of all this unrest is not so much what she has said, more of what she has implied by doing the Ryvita ads and banging on about healthy eating.

TBH I am so bored of every single celeb that loses a lb telling us what we should and shouldn't be doing I'd have had more respect for her if she'd said "I've had a band fitted and now this is what I have to do to work with it."

I agree with fatchick, KD, etc. As far as i'm concerned, Fern is entitled to not 'share with the world' how she lost weight. I never told anyone (other than my OH and kids) that I was doing cd, and they still don't know now - everyone thinks that I simply became stricter with the low-carbing that I was already doing. If i've effectively lied about how I lost weight, to avoid the constant questions and recriminations, then why can't Fern?

As has been said, the band is simply a tool, just as ketosis is for those of us following a vlcd. Fern still has to struggle with willpower and make the right choices, so would have been following a healthy eating plan anyway. If the band were a 'trick' or a 'cheat' she would've lost her 3 stone in a much shorter space of time!

Jo x

i think it was completely her decision. she didn't tell everybody that if they did the diet she was doing they'd lose weight. she did something in her private life that should be that, private. she still had to eat less to lose weight, her calories were indeed cut and that must have taken some work, regardless of the band. i don't see why everyone is making such a fuss over it. she looks fantastic and should be praised for looking as such.

abz xx

Back