• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Food Examples for Post Op Mushie

NT1977

Hi everyone,

I am just trying to prepare some meal ideas for post op and wondered if any of you could offer some inspiration? thinking of batch cooking some food this week and freezing in little portions rather than having ready meals as it will work out more reasonable cost wise.

Thanks

Nx

- Fish in sauce is a good one, serve it with mashed swede/carrot/parsnip or potato if you're not avoiding carbs.
- ready brek, weetabix or porridge
- cottage pie / minced beef/lamb/turkey/ mix it with a gravy to make it more sloppy and then reduce the amount of sauce/gravy as you move towards the end of sloppy foods.
(ready meal ones are ideal for this as they also use quite finely minced meat!)
- lean minced meats
- flaked white fish served with mashed veg etc can always add a sauce if you need it mushy/sloppy to begin with
- scrambled egg (be careful as not all banders can tolerate egg!)
- mashed vegetables
- stewed fruit,
- custard
- thicker smoothies and yoghurts.
- you may be able to eat rice pudding, but check with your provider as some say do not eat rice!

I found it better to mash up foods separately so they retain their own individual flavours than mashing things all together, that way you really get the best of each individual food and can also start to find out what you can or cannot tolerate

Also, be careful of preparing and freezing, I did this but then found I couldn't stomach the ones I had made - they all went in the bin lol

Another one - tinned ratatouille (they do it in Tesco!) but great with white fish, steamed, very mushy, but filling and healthy too!

Oh great ideas there, thanks. I love love love cod in parsley sauce so will definitly have that and great tip about the ratatouille from Tesco x

- Fish in sauce is a good one, serve it with mashed swede/carrot/parsnip or potato if you're not avoiding carbs.
- ready brek, weetabix or porridge
- cottage pie / minced beef/lamb/turkey/ mix it with a gravy to make it more sloppy and then reduce the amount of sauce/gravy as you move towards the end of sloppy foods.
(ready meal ones are ideal for this as they also use quite finely minced meat!)
- lean minced meats
- flaked white fish served with mashed veg etc can always add a sauce if you need it mushy/sloppy to begin with
- scrambled egg (be careful as not all banders can tolerate egg!)
- mashed vegetables
- stewed fruit,
- custard
- thicker smoothies and yoghurts.
- you may be able to eat rice pudding, but check with your provider as some say do not eat rice!

I found it better to mash up foods separately so they retain their own individual flavours than mashing things all together, that way you really get the best of each individual food and can also start to find out what you can or cannot tolerate

All these sound lovely - thanks for sharing - I am moving onto 'mushy' next week and was looking for some ideas :D

Justine x

You may also find, tuna will be ok - some people can tolerate it, some can't. But its also a good thing to mix in with the ratatouille, kind of like a pasta bake without the pasta LOL

Quark (very low fat soft cheese) is also a good thing at this stage, you can use it with mashed potato.

Cheese and potato pie (use low fat cheese if you're already counting calories and watching what you eat at this point).

tinned corned beef is ok mashed up with mashed potato (kind of like a corned beef hash) but watch the salt content if its something that affects you.

Natural yoghurt is good to make some dressings with, can mix it with some sweet chilli sauce or curry powder and its ok with potato or mashed vegetables.

You may also find, tuna will be ok - some people can tolerate it, some can't. But its also a good thing to mix in with the ratatouille, kind of like a pasta bake without the pasta LOL

Quark (very low fat soft cheese) is also a good thing at this stage, you can use it with mashed potato.

Cheese and potato pie (use low fat cheese if you're already counting calories and watching what you eat at this point).

tinned corned beef is ok mashed up with mashed potato (kind of like a corned beef hash) but watch the salt content if its something that affects you.

Natural yoghurt is good to make some dressings with, can mix it with some sweet chilli sauce or curry powder and its ok with potato or mashed vegetables.

Good tip on the yogurt too, i love this site for tips from people who have been down the path I am starting :D

Great ideas as always from Kat.

I got a pack of turkey mince and cooked it with gravy then split into portions. think I got about 20 out of one pack. Then I just did a bit of mashed veg / cauli cheese/ mashed swede etc with it, also mushy peas mmm.....

I'm on mush today after a fill yesterday. Had baked beans in tomato sauce for brekkie, having inside of a jacket with tuna mayo for dinner and mince in gravy and mashed swede for tea. Prob a yogurt/mousse as well.

Back to crunch tomorrow and hopefully somewhere near with this last fill.

x x

Another thought last night as I was cooking one for my son - fish pie! The ones you get in the freezer section with sauce and topped with mash - great for £1 and some of them are just the right size! Youngs tend to be smaller flakes of fish which may be easier in the early days :)

My husband made that last night Kat for them all so he has frozen me a portion. He is following low fat/calorie recipes as also trying to lose some weigh and re-educate himself as he does most of the cooking.

He found a lovely veg curry recipe online which he is also going to make which if nice is a good one as can be pureed virtually to a sauce

Sounds perfect :) and yummy LOL

Back