• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newly post op? Post your daily food intake here

Roch

Shrinking away nicely :)
Hi all i was just wondering if possibly we could have a sticky for all the new post oppers, it does not matter what op they have had, but it could offer tips and poss food ideas right from the liquid stage to the time we start introducing harder foods, ie 4/6 weeks.
I think many of us dont have a whole lot of info post op concerning foods in the initial weeks following surgery and instead of the numerous diff posts we do have and i have posted quite a few :D:D:D thought maybe we could have some diff ideas for all the diff food stages.
Also maybe we could post the liquids/soft foods we are eating and the amounts, similar to a daily menu post to give others help and ideas if they are struggling.
Thanks and take care luv Roch xxx

I second this. Good idea Roch.

great idea Roch. I'll sticky this thread, if you want to change the title of it so people know what its for.

great idea Roch. I'll sticky this thread, if you want to change the title of it so people know what its for.

Can u change it for me as not sure what to name it lol also maybe some idea how to set it out to make it easier for people to get info and add stuff ,my brain is not really working very well at the mo lol xx

Last edited:
Ok i will be the brave one and start the ball rolling :) As i am just 6 days post op still a baby Bypasser :) all advice would be more than welcome, here is today`s delightful menu.

6 am: 1x 50 grms petit fillous
9.30 am 3/4 of a mug of warm milk with one serving of options low cal hot choc
12.30: 3/4 mug of well sieved convant garden Leek and pot soup
3.30 :1x50 grms pot of petit filous
6.45 :1x 50 grms pot of petit filous
21.00: Glass of warm milk with options low cal hot choc

1 ltr of nas squash.

I'm on the pureed / going on to mashed stage here's what I've had this week.

28/02/10
Milky Coffee
3oz cooked porridge with yoghurt
Chocolate protein shake
3oz sw tuna (flavoured)
4 oz Spicy Turkey Mince with Broccoli, Cauliflower & Carrots (2/3 meat)
Milky Coffee
Stewed Apple with LF Yoghurt

01/03/10
Milky Coffee
20g (raw weight) porridge with 125mls ss milk ate ½
Black Coffee
1 cup broccoli & stllton soup
1 cup of tea
Milky Coffee
100g refried beans, ½ Light Baby bel
1 Light Baby bel
2.5 ltrs water with NSA juice

02/03/10
Milky Coffee
10g (raw weight) porridge with 70mls ss milk
Milky Coffee
2Tbsp cottage cheese with 80g SW tuna with Lime & Black Pepper
30g LF cheddar cheese
60g hummus 1 tbsp cottage cheese
2 Light Baby bel

03/03/10
2 x Milky Coffee
90g refried bean & cottage cheese
1 Egg & 30g LF Cheddar Cheese ( ate ¾ )
Smoked mackerel fillet & hummus
Milky Coffee
2 ltrs water with NSA juice

04/03/10
Milky Coffee
10g (raw weight) porridge with 70mls ss milk
Milky Coffee
1 scoop protein ice cream
1 cup Chicken Broth (barley & lentils & veg)
½ tin (62g) mackerel in tomato sauce 1tbsp refried beans
1 scoop protein ice cream
Milky hot chocolate

05/03/10
Milky Coffee
½ tin (62g) mackerel in tom sauce
1 egg, 2 tsp LF Mayo
Milky Coffee
1 Mackerel fillet
1 cup Carrot & Almond soup
2 scoops protein ice cream

06/03/10
Milky Coffee
15g (raw weight) porridge with 100mls ss milk
Milky Coffee
½ avocado, Guacamole, 1 Mackerel fillet
Milky Coffee
1 Light Baby bel
40fg feta cheese & 9 olives

Thanks for this Roch, will be good to follow once I finally hopefully have my op xxxx
ps so glad you are ok, you are seeing so much brighter and confident since your op xx

I'm a sleever - eight days now.

At the moment I'm still on liquids and I'm basically having 3 x 200ml protein shakes (Bio Synergy whey better) and 2 x 200 ml of thin soup (blended and sieved lentil mainly).

I did have a sugar free ice pop this afternoon - which was quite refreshing.

It takes me about forty minutes to get through my soup - seems like I'm either eating or drinking constantly at the moment! xx

I'm seven weeks post bypass and having trouble judging the appropriate portion size (i have never been unable to finish my meal, but daren't push it to find my limit either) also i have no concept of how much i should be eating each day. ( i have asked for an appointment with my dietician but any advice in the meantime is most welcome)

Yesterday i had
20g cornflakes with skimmed milk for breakfast
100g of quiche for lunch (240cals)
100g of quiche and 6 home made potato wedges for tea with a extra light mayo dip

throughout the day i drank
200mls juice
500mls lemonade (flat !)
large options hot choc made with skimmed milk
(struggling with my fluid intake)

Is there only me posting my disgracefully unhealthy diet on here lol !!

Today i missed breakfast as i got up too late (bad, i know)
Was ravenous when i got in so reheated a couple of little new potatoes in desperation and had those
Redeemed myself at teatime by having 1 small slice of ham, half a boiled egg, two small potato wedges and salad (lettuce & red &white cabbage)
At suppertime i had half an apple.
I managed 900mls of skimmed milk and 300 mls fresh juice (not enough i know, but good going for me !)

It was the first time i've had salad or apple as these are final stage foods, but they went down without discomfort and have stayed down. Result !!

Didn't want you to feel neglected Jayne, so here's mine for the past week.

Thank heavens I can now chew!:p

10th March
Milky Coffee, 15g (raw weight) porridge with 100mls ss milk, 6 tbsp yoghurt, 2 black coffee, Couple of frozen berries, Tuna & mixed bean salad, Milky Coffee, Vanilla protein shake, 4 ltrs water
11th March
½ weetabix with ss milk, 3 x Milky Coffee, 1 cup of tea, 80g SW Mediterranean tuna, ¼ chicken breast & gravy 1tbs carrots, 1 orange, Strawberries, 2 ltrs water with NSA juice
12th March
Milky Coffee, ½ weetabix with ss milk, ½ chicken leg, 1 slice beef with 1oz lf cheddar cheese, 2 x Milky coffee, Spicy turkey & coconut soup, 2 ltrs water with NSA juice
13th March
Milky Coffee, ½ weetabix with ss milk, 2 slices beef with 30g feta cheese & 6 olives, Milky Coffee, Banana Protein Shake, 1 orange, 2.5 ltrs water with NSA juice
14th March
Milky Coffee, 1 poached egg & 1 health options bacon, Banana Protein Shake, Turkey mince with cauliflower cheese & carrots, Protein ice cream, 1 orange, 2.5 ltrs water with NSA juice
15th March
2 x Milky Coffee, ½ Turkey & cottage cheese stuffed pepper, ¼ cup lentil & sweet potato soup, Milky Coffee, Braising steak, gravy & carrots, 1 orange, Strawberries, 2 ltrs water with NSA juice
16th March
Milky Coffee, 1 weetabix with ss milk, 2 mini crust less quiche (turkey, bean & cottage cheese), 10 king prawns with lettuce & cherry toms, 3 black coffee, 6 strawberries, ½ Turkey & cottage cheese stuffed pepper, 6 strawberries, 3 ltrs water, 2 ltr water with NSA juice

Hi,

Well I am now 5 days post op. Yesterday I had

Breakfast: 2tbl sps of ready brek with sweetener

Mid Morning Snack : A 1/4 portion of no added sugar angel delight

Lunch : half a tin of tuna mashed with hellmans extra light mayo & A 1/4 portion of angel delight

After noon snack: 1 rich tea biscuit

Dinner : Potato with 1 triangle of laughing cow extra light cheese.

Tea & Water to drink throughout day.

I had a real problem with the trapped wind yesterday and it was very painful. I am also struggling to drink enough I think.

Take Care

Paula XX

Hi,

Well I am now 5 days post op. Yesterday I had

Breakfast: 2tbl sps of ready brek with sweetener

Mid Morning Snack : A 1/4 portion of no added sugar angel delight

Lunch : half a tin of tuna mashed with hellmans extra light mayo & A 1/4 portion of angel delight

After noon snack: 1 rich tea biscuit

Dinner : Potato with 1 triangle of laughing cow extra light cheese.

Tea & Water to drink throughout day.

I had a real problem with the trapped wind yesterday and it was very painful. I am also struggling to drink enough I think.

Take Care

Paula XX

Aren't you supposed to still be on a liquid diet if only 5 days post-op? :eek:

Take Care

Paula XX

i know what you mean! it's the only thing that seems to hurt at the moment though hiccups and burping lol

I'm still on puree diet - which I'm quite enjoying to be honest. I've just had some really soft scrambled egg for breakfast. It was lovely!

Basically I'm having 2 protein shakes a day; soup for lunch; very small amount of ready brek for breakfast (apart from today) and then in the evening I'm having pureed veggies with hummous. I have had a couple of jars of smooth baby food as well, which I've added a bit of hummous to. Most people don't like the taste of baby food, but I have never added salt to my food - either at the table or in cooking. As long as I grind a little black pepper into it, it's yummy.

With my protein shakes, I add a 0% fat yoghurt drink and top it up with skimmed milk. It's all extra protein.

I'm also drinking plenty of water. At least 3 x 500ml bottles a day - usually more. I've always been a big water drinker, just getting used to sipping instead of glugging. xx

Aren't you supposed to still be on a liquid diet if only 5 days post-op? :eek:

In hospital the bariatric menu they gave us included mashed potato and cheese at lunch & pureed chicken/cod/whatever for dinner on the last couple of days

so I guess as long as it is mashed up smooth it shouldn't be an issue.
i know i had mash and cheese when i got home yesterday :)

In hospital the bariatric menu they gave us included mashed potato and cheese at lunch & pureed chicken/cod/whatever for dinner on the last couple of days

so I guess as long as it is mashed up smooth it shouldn't be an issue.
i know i had mash and cheese when i got home yesterday :)

Amazing, yet some hospitals insist you stay on liquids for the first couple of weeks. Have you had any problems eating mashed food so soon? Certainly interested in this as my team expect 4 weeks pre-op liquid diets so once I've had the bypass I want to be off liquids asap lol

Patient information

Post-operative diet following gastric banding

Following your surgery you will need to go through several phases, slowly progressing from liquids through to solid food. It is important to take your time progressing through each phase as it is during this time that your new pouch is forming and settling in position. If you progress too quickly, you may unduly stretch the pouch and the band may slip.

Phase 1 – immediately post-surgery for 1-2 days
Clear fluids only,e.g. water, dilute squash, herbal teas and fruit tea, clear broth, unsweetened apple juice, jelly, ice lollies.
You should aim for 1oz (30mls) fluid every hour on day one and progress to 2oz (60mls) every hour on day two, if tolerated.
- Drink very slowly by taking small sips. Try not to gulp.
- Avoid carbonated drinks and drinking through a straw as these can introduce air to your pouch, making you feel uncomfortable.
- Avoid drinks containing caffeine as these act as a diuretic and can contribute to dehydration.

Phase 2 – first 2 weeks
Liquid diet ‑ after phase 1 you will make a transition to a full liquid diet. These liquids must be smooth and able to be sucked through a straw, although it is not recommended that you actually take these through a straw. It is important that you get as much nutrition as possible with each meal and should be aiming for around 60g protein per day.
The types of suitable liquid foods are:
- Milk (skimmed or semi skimmed)
- Fortified milk (2 tbsp skimmed milk powder added to 1 pint milk)
- Tomato juice
- Fruit juice
- Tea
- Smooth broths
- Creamed soups
- Yoghurt and yoghurt drinks (add milk if too thick)
- Meal replacement drinks, e.g. Slimfast /Complan/ Build Up.

It is important to get a variety of liquids at this stage rather than sticking to just one type.

Sample menu plan for liquid diet:
Breakfast Meal replacement drink or glass of fortified milk
Mid morning 1 glass fruit juice/tomato juice/milk
Lunch Meal replacement drink or glass of fortified milk or creamy soup
Mid afternoon 1 glass fruit juice/tomato juice/milk
Evening Meal replacement drink or glass of fortified milk or creamy soup
Supper 1 glass fruit juice/tomato juice/milk

Phase 3 – weeks 3 and 4
Puree diet ‑ at this stage you can start to introduce pureed or blended foods into your diet. This should be smooth and the consistency of baby food.
The following types of food can be included:
- Creamy soups, rice pudding, custard
- Softly cooked and blended vegetables, mashed potato
- Cereals such as Ready Brek, Weetabix, ground rice
- Blended fruits
- Blended meats with gravy
- Blended casseroles and soups

Sample menu plan for puree diet:
Breakfast Weetabix or Ready Brek with milk or yoghurt and fruit juice
Mid morning Low calorie yoghurt or rice pudding
Lunch Blended creamy soup/blended macaroni cheese/cauliflower cheese
Mid afternoon Mashed banana, puree stewed fruit
Evening Blended chicken casserole/fish in white sauce, mashed potato, blended carrots

Remember to chew food thoroughly and to eat very slowly. When you are full, remember to STOP!

Phase 4 – weeks 5 and 6
Soft diet ‑ at this stage you no longer need to blend your food but can progress to a soft consistency diet. These are foods that can easily be mashed or cut with a fork.

Breakfast Weetabix or Ready Brek with milk or toast and low fat spread
Mid morning Low calorie yoghurt or rice pudding
Lunch Scrambled egg, macaroni cheese, cauliflower cheese
Mid afternoon Banana, soft peach/pear tinned without skins
Evening Shepherds pie, fish pie, soft vegetables

Phase 5 – weeks 6 onwards
Normal diet ‑ you are now ready to continue on your long term eating plan. At six weeks your first band fill is usually done and you will start to feel the restriction your band is making around the top of your stomach. Remember, you are not just eating small amounts to reduce your calorie intake and lose weight, but you are aiming for a healthy nutritious eating plan as well.

Six golden rules
Each individual differs in the foods they can eat, but there are six golden eating plan rules to follow if you are dedicated to obtaining the greatest benefit from your gastric band:
- Eat three meals per day – your new pouch at the top of your stomach empties slowly throughout the day and you should be satisfied eating three meals a day without getting hungry in between meals. Beware of developing 'grazing' eating patterns of small snacks throughout the day.
- Eat healthy, solid food – soft food slips down easily and whilst this has the benefit of being less likely to block your stoma, you will likely end up eating more over the course of the day. Many soft foods are also higher in fat or carbohydrates and as a consequence you may be taking more calories than you should and your weight loss will slow down or stop. Choose solid foods without lots of sauce (e.g. small meal of chicken and vegetables) and you will eat less overall and stay full for longer.
- Eat slowly and stop as soon as you feel full – most obese people are used to rushing their meals and as there is a time lag from stretching the wall of your stomach and telling your brain you are full, you need to be careful with this one or risk blockage, pain or vomiting. Take tiny bites (cut meat up to the size of a pencil-top rubber) and chew each piece 10–25 times. At some point you will start to feel a tightness in your chest. Stop eating and if you are hungry again a few minutes later, have a little more.
- Do not eat between meals – you should not need to eat between meals because of hunger if you are eating three sensible meals per day.
- Do not drink at meal times – Liquids speed up the passage of food through the stoma and ruin the beneficial effect of slow emptying of food from your new stomach pouch. If you have a drink immediately before your meal you may also find that your stomach is still full and you can't eat your meal. So avoid fluids half an hour before your meals, and for one hour afterwards.
- All drinks should be zero calories – As liquids do pass through your stoma so easily, calorie laden drinks, including alcohol, will simply add calories to your daily intake. Women need calcium, and this can be obtained from skimmed milk, but avoid juice, fizzy drinks (the gas can also cause considerable pain), squashes and milkshakes.

Daily Menu Plan ‑ meal ideas
Breakfast
200ml coffee or tea with or without sugar or 200ml skimmed or semi-skimmed milk or 200ml vegetable or fruit juice
1 slice brown bread or roll (toasted)
10g butter/margarine or 20g low fat spread
1 portion jam, honey or low fat cheese spread or 50g lean meat or 1 egg or 50g pureed porridge oats

Mid morning snack
150ml x 2 skimmed or semi-skimmed milk

Lunch
1 lamb or pork cutlet/50g poached fish/50g meat in gravy/50-75g chicken breast/1 small sausage/50-75g Quorn/Tofu based product
2 tsp risotto or rice/2 tsp mashed potato/1 small boiled potato
1 peeled grilled tomato/2 tsp broccoli or carrots/small mixed salad
Dessert from suggested choice

Mid afternoon snack
150ml plain or fruit yoghurt
Or stewed peeled fruit

Evening meal
As lunch or:
100g boiled spaghetti with Bolognese sauce
1 teaspoon Parmesan cheese
1 peeled grilled tomato
Dessert from suggested choice
Or 3 small slices of low-fat cheese
1 slice brown bread
Small mixed (tomato, cucumber)
Or 2 teaspoon tuna/egg salad with diced pickled vegetables
1 slice brown bread
1 egg custard with raspberry flavour
Or 50g baked potato with cheese and ham
2 tsp of tomato salad
Dessert from suggest choice

Evening snack
150ml x 2 skimmed or semi-skimmed milk

Snacks
150ml low fat plain or fruit yoghurt or,
200ml semi-skimmed milk

Desserts
150ml plain natural or fruit yoghurt or,
1 egg custard (various flavours) or,
1 portion of soft or pureed (stewed) fruit or 1 scoop sorbet

For more information about the Trust, visit our website www.royalberkshire.nhs.uk

Department of Nutrition & Dietetics

Written: January 2009
Review due: January 2010

yay i re-found this from the dietician x

It's strange how every surgeon differs on their post op diet rules. I've got to stay on purees until 12 weeks. I don't mind - less chance of cheating on purees than on solids. (In my mind at least!) xx

Back