• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Food help please

StephieAck

I know Ive changed!
Guys, could you please suggest a high protein breakfast please? I am trying to reduce my carbs big time and so I want to banish cereal from breakfast. I often struggle with egg so could someone please give me a hint of what to have please?
Thanks
Steph xx

i know its not to everyones ideal but i have never been a breakfast person , when i did it was usually cerial with milk but somtimes didnt bother. I now have a protien shake every morning with milk and i take my tablets at same time , i know really having a meal is better but id never get that much protein in and id prob not even bother with breakfast. Other things i have is yogurt and put nuts in, its finding what suits you thats best x

I would have a liquid breakfast but some meds need to be taken after food, if I dont put food in then I have to wait until later in the day to take the meds, that is the issue I have.
What I sometimes have, and what I just had this morning is griddled lean bacon and a griddled egg. Sounds unhealthy but there is absolutely no oils or fats used, it all gets griddled. It is one of the only ways my body seems to be prepared to tolerate egg.
I think that I am going to put some money into getting some ingredients in and start making Nic's protein bars and having one of those for breakfast. I bake for everyone else so I think that its time to put some effort into baking good healthy stuff for myself.
I tend to have carbs at every meal and I want to have at least a couple of days a week that are almost devoid of carbs to see if I can boost my weight loss.
Thanks for the reply xx
Steph xx

I sometimes have cereal from the good carb company (lizzis granola) which is available online from the sugarfree megastore as well as tescos...not sure about other supermarkets. Thats low GI and absolutely packed with good stuff..and yummy.
Not sure how much of that you could tolerate as I'm not a bypass gal. Worth having a look though
Good Carb Co
I guess also protein bars like Atkins / Avidlite etc They have a lot of flavours and a nice hit of protein as well.
Atkins/protein bars

Bacon with baked beans is good as is quorn sausage with tinned tomatoe.

I have a problem with most protein bars as almost all of the damn things have chocolate involved in them and I dont eat chocolate now, the closest I get to chocolate these days is the odd options hot chocolate but then again I have started to go off of those now. So I struggle with protein bars but as I say I am going to make some of Nics bars as they dont contain chocolate.
Ah I am doing ok with the bacon then, thats good.
Thanks xx
Steph xx

My fave protein bar is the cappuchino nut one which I don't think has any choc (haven't bought them for a while) also I have tried some of the no sugar/high protein porridge style breakfast mixes which can be ok with a bit of sweetener.
How about turkey bacon and grilled tomatoes and mushrooms ?
One of my fave things was burgen soya and linseed bread (one slice, It's low GI which is low sugar usually) with laughing cow light cheese spread and loads of cherry tomatoes on top, toasted under the grill... maybe you could add a slice of ham under the tomatoes to that?

I might try some low carb porridge if possible. The bread is a no no though as I dont eat bread now. I have the occassional wrap these days but even though that is a new addition to my eating it is one that isnt going to be staying in place as I just dont like myself for eating it, so it is going to be a once in a blue moon thing.
Steph xx

P.S if anyone knows of any very low sugar muesli I would kiss your feet...I miss muesli soooooooo much but it is very high sugar (suprisingly).

You could maybe get the Lizzis granola and buy some nuts and dried fruit that suits you to add to it. Like a DIY muesli? The burgen bread is ver stuffed full of seeds and so on...more seeds than bread really, if you can tolerate wraps then I would think that bread would be OK once in a while too. I know the oils in the seeds are great healthy wise.
I got the butter pecan flavour flaxomeal soft porridge style cereal and it's OK. I often add things like toasted almonds and so on to basic cereals to add a bit of flavour.
I think I might try and make my own muesli bars as it is tough finding ones that aren't drowning in sugar and/or are like chewing cardboard.

Thank Neen xx
I love adding dry fruit to porridge to spice it up a little.
Steph xx

What about some nice smoked haddock, dont faint if it is wrong as I am still pre op, but a very good source of protein.

Tinned tuna on some sort of toast from the breads they suggested below.

OMG Mary yes! I love smoked haddock with soft poached egg on top...now I'm salivating! I hope now I can eat a bit more I can try that as I haven't been able to tolerate eggs for a year or so!
Good idea!
Also Miso soup? I saw that on some tv program ..someone having it for breakfast. No idea what it tastes like but I know it's good for you!

Miso soup is full of iodine and helps boost the metabolism, its made from bean curd paste but is a 'liquid' and could be a problem if medication needs solids.

I can't tollerate eggs in any way apart from scrambled, so I scramble 1 egg and have it with some beans (the beans just seem to help them down).

Rx

My breakfast this morning was half a protein shake followed by one Tesco meat-free cheese and sun-dried tomato sausage plus a dollop of cottage cheese. xx

Protein bars home made are great - I added a dollop of apricot sugar free jam to keep them moist.
Scrambled eggs are cool, but tend to need a carb I feel
I personally have my carbs in the morning and none (in theory the rest of the day) as we do need some carbs - I have brown where possible
I buy muesli that has no added sugar and add fruit and nuts to it
Smoked kippers are fab as is smoked mackerel
Lean grilled bacon is fine with the eggs maybe?

Alpen no added sugar! I discovered it a few month ago, have a few teaspoons of it with a few teaspoons of extra currents for fruit content and then i have muller light yogurt on it! All high protein, low carb and low sugar. I am a very sensitive dumper and I am fine with it!

i know its not to everyones ideal but i have never been a breakfast person , when i did it was usually cerial with milk but somtimes didnt bother. I now have a protien shake every morning with milk and i take my tablets at same time , i know really having a meal is better but id never get that much protein in and id prob not even bother with breakfast. Other things i have is yogurt and put nuts in, its finding what suits you thats best x
sounds like a good idea to me i'm gonna try that xx

Thanks for all of the replies, I have some stuff to work with now, thanks xx
Steph xx

Back