• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

For post-op or soon to be post-op!!

Meggie

What was the reason you gave work for needing time off? I don't particularly want anyone from work knowing about my op but can't think of a decent enough reason for needing that long off!!! I thought about just telling my boss that I am having an op on my stomach but no elaborating further, but then when I have my amazing weightloss then people may put two and two together! Obviously some people might guess anyway but hey-ho!!!

Any help much appreciated!!!

I told them all everything. But then I'm in open book and I tell it as it is.

I find it so much easier to just talk that way. Everyone knows and everyone supported me.

You should be able to tell your boss in confidence and be explicit that it's personal and you don't want anyone to know!

I think that is what I'll end up doing (telling my boss). I suppose someone at work needs to know about it incase there are any problems.

Thanks hun!

ive not told many people, luckily I work from home so im off the hook in that respect.
Although i told my mum if anyone asks that I hardly know she has to tell them I had my gall bladder out. ! Its the truth I did...alongside my bypass lol but still.:p

Im not ashamed by any means but Im not out to broadcast it either:D

My sicknote said Bariatric Surgery but before the op etc I had just said I was having surgery and that was all.

Hi Meggie, I told everyone but I found someone was being very funny with me, still haven't spoke to her about her reaction but so what - she's probably jealous. The hospital gave me a sick note saying 'stomach surgery' so I didn't have to tell them if I didn't want to, good luck I'm sure you will do the right thing xxx

I do not work (I am a stay at home mum) but I am not telling anyone what I am having. I have told my parents and friends that I am having another stomach op to deal with cysts on my ovaries. I have had this type of op numerous times before and it won't raise any suspicions.

i'm self employed, told my cab firm i'd be off for a couple of weeks for WLS, as it happens, one of the directors of the company is having it done, so they were understanding...i always think it's best to tell em the truth, but as devil's advocate, it's also none of their business unless you want it to be

Hiya,
I don't intend to tell anyone.
My surgeon said he only ever puts "abdominal surgery" on sick notes. He said as far as he is concerned, it is nobody's business except the patients.
Some people can be very unkind with their comments about wls. Also, it could be a consideration that, as wls is considered elective surgery, some employers may not pay for sick leave.

Last edited:
you have to do what you feel is comfortable my dear, and if that means telling no-one, then do just that, we all know what work colleagues are like, in my job the men are the worst gossips going!! and when you start shedding the pounds, they'll be gossiping anyways!!

Hi Meggie
I just told everyone including my boss and the children i work with given that i am a big part of their lives and we try to build up trusting relationships so felt the need to be honest. It did'nt bother me i was so excited and everyone is so supportive. My sick lines are saying post bariatric surgery too. It really is an individual preference and you do what feels right for you. Your boss has an obligation to mantain your confidentialty so there should be no way anyone else finds out unless you tell them x

i told everyone about my surgert including broadcasting it on facebook! I don't care what people think and as it happens everyone has been supportive. bar one person who thought the nhs didnt ought to spend their money on it (after all what happens if one of her kids needs an op and they cant afford it because of my wls!)
Do what you feel is best hun and good luck xx

I worked with very very btchy women....I wouldn't dream of telling them.
A woman in another branch had a band (she was very successful) and you should have heard what the girls said about her!

If I'm still employed by them...I'll say gall bladder or something...I know my GP will help with some way of disguising what I've had.

(((hugs)))

Thanks everyone! It has given me a lot to think about as I know I'm going to have to tell work something! I think I'm scared of telling work the truth incase they won't give me the time off for weeks/months. I don't want to delay my op at all! I am also scared of people's reactions as the people I've told have all had mixed reactions so far. Other people's opinions won't affect my choice of having surgery. I just don't want the added stress of trying to convince people it is the right choice, which I know it is!! Again, it is not because I'm ashamed of having the surgery. I am quite a private person with things like this so don't want everyone and his wife knowing!!!

Thanks everyone! It has given me a lot to think about as I know I'm going to have to tell work something! I think I'm scared of telling work the truth incase they won't give me the time off for weeks/months. I don't want to delay my op at all! I am also scared of people's reactions as the people I've told have all had mixed reactions so far. Other people's opinions won't affect my choice of having surgery. I just don't want the added stress of trying to convince people it is the right choice, which I know it is!! Again, it is not because I'm ashamed of having the surgery. I am quite a private person with things like this so don't want everyone and his wife knowing!!!

I couldn't have put it better Meggie.

I'm not ashamed of having the surgery either...(albeit privately ashamed of getting to the size I am>>>>hard to admit)...but just knowing that there will be negativity and snide remarks...I'm just not that strong at the moment to take it...

Unfortunately we just can't convince the ignorants to be more empathic.

(((hugs)))

i have told a few people what im having done as i was smilin so much from getting my funding, as well as my boss, as i told her when my sick is up i wanna use a weeks of my holiday just to make sure im extra fully recovered as i work in a factory, if u ever order from simplyb or fashion world plus many more, i may have packed it lol. and sed i will need light dutis when i go back for a bit, but as i have a bad back and really bad ankle, i can use that as my excuse for doing light duties, as been off i will just get my friend to say ive oulled a muscle in my back, my boss wont say anything so im covered.

Im having a band done and my boss is making me take the time off as holiday.

She's already on my case as i have asthma and have had to take some time off recently as i got swine flu and was really ill. I got a sicknote but even so she gave me a really hard time. Ive even been told by the company doctor that i should be covered under the disability discrimination act for my asthma but that seems to make no difference to her.

So for a quiet life, im taking 2weeks holiday. though i did have to laugh as when i told her about my op, she said she would do a home visit to make sure i was fit for work afterwards and i told her she couldnt as i wasnt going to be off sick!!

The bossy old boot I know what I would tell her!! Ide report her for harrasment the cheeky so-and-so I would soon :whoopass: (Ive always wanted to use that Icon WHOOPASS l.o.l) Gail.x
Im having a band done and my boss is making me take the time off as holiday.

She's already on my case as i have asthma and have had to take some time off recently as i got swine flu and was really ill. I got a sicknote but even so she gave me a really hard time. Ive even been told by the company doctor that i should be covered under the disability discrimination act for my asthma but that seems to make no difference to her.

So for a quiet life, im taking 2weeks holiday. though i did have to laugh as when i told her about my op, she said she would do a home visit to make sure i was fit for work afterwards and i told her she couldnt as i wasnt going to be off sick!!

Back