• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Questions for post op

Jackie redgirl

Hi Guys, sorry to mither but i just have a few questions i could do with help on.
I only wear pyjamas but think i might be best with a nightie for hospital, do you agree or will pjs be ok ?
Next, i keep seeing things about protein powder, i think people add it into drinks n things, is this needed ? and where do i get it ?
Last one, i have booked 2 weeks off work, sadly unpaid, is this going to be long enough ? keep seeing various time spans, are people different ?
Thanks for your help.

Hiya

Yes nighties would be better as you may be fitted with a catheter.

I am over 6 months out and have not used any protein powder or marvel yet. Just try and consume high calcium and protein after your op which is easy to do if you give it some thought. Milk and light cheese triangles were a must for me early post op.

I am unable to work due to other health problems but it took me about a month to get going again after the op. It does make a difference how physically demanding your job is. If needed, is it possible to go back part time at first?

Good luck
x

I only bought pj's till some one mentioned catheters lol then took 2 pj's 2nightys and to be honest used them all, as to protien powders every weightloss team will tell you different so be advised by your own deitition. I was back at work 13 days after a keyhole bypass and felt great and only did part time , i was very lucky as i felt fine . You really wont know if 2 weeks is enough for you till you have had the operation dont you get sick pay as the hospital will give you a sick note if needed x

I don't think Pj's are a good idea as they are tighter round the waist and that is where your wounds will be. Protein helps with wound healing and I took it for the first six weeks or so, you can get some from all of the main supermarkets, Holland and Barret or online. The tastes vary and they can be very sweet and cloyey (sp!) so really it's a matter of finding one to suit you. Good luck with everything.

Hi Jackie

PJ's for me, but when you go for your op you'll be wearing the theartre gown they give you and the silly paper pants with matching sexy thrombosis stocking, after the op i really couldn't of cared less what i was wearing.

Many people do use protein suppliments which can be purchased at various places, to be honest right now i wouldn't worry to much as your still pre op.
Personally i never used any protein supplimentation as i believe its possible to gain the right amount of protein from your food rather than buying it as a suppliment, the choice is entirely up to you.

Like yourself i had Basil Ammori do my op laproscopically, i would have been ok to go back to work after 2 weeks off, but i decided to take a 3rd just to make sure i was right....... to be honest this isn't something you will be able to gauge until your post op, some people bounce back in days and others it takes weeks and weeks. I will say though that Mr Ammori is a really spot on surgeon, there are many of us here that had him and none have failed to lose a significant amount of weight or had any serious post operative issues, i was on the train back from Manchester 2 days after my op and other than feeling a little sore it was as if i'd had nothing done, your in very safe hands.

Thanks guys, think i will invest in a nightie or 2.
I wont get paid even though i work for borough council, there policy is not too pay for elective surgery, i work as a teaching assistant so it isnt too physically demanding.I will see what they say at the hospital about protein powder then but if it helps heal sounds good to me.
Thanks again for your invaluable advice.

Thanks, i havent heard anybody say a bad word about him so i am feeling qietly confident, i saw him in clinic and he was very reassuring.

It always amazes me when companies won't pay sick leave for bypass. To me it is to help save our lives so how is it elective. I am hoping mine pay me sick leave when I have my op as I do the same job as you teaching assistant. I am thinking I might need more than 2 weeks as some of the children like to run up and hug especially the special needs children. I thought the recovery was 6 weeks. Anyway I am hoping to get my on beginning of July then 3-4 weeks sick leave and 6 weeks summer hols would be great and I should be recovered before going back to work in September.

I wore PJs while I was in hospital with no problems at all and never bothered with protein powders

It always amazes me when companies won't pay sick leave for bypass. To me it is to help save our lives so how is it elective. I am hoping mine pay me sick leave when I have my op as I do the same job as you teaching assistant. I am thinking I might need more than 2 weeks as some of the children like to run up and hug especially the special needs children. I thought the recovery was 6 weeks. Anyway I am hoping to get my on beginning of July then 3-4 weeks sick leave and 6 weeks summer hols would be great and I should be recovered before going back to work in September.

I had 10 weeks off on full pay and also claimed on my ill/sickness insurance so I was well better off

My company is Warrington borough council,so its not just a small company, they have also said that when my 2 weeks is up i can have longer if needs be but the week after the 3rd week is half term and if i dont come back before then i wont get paid for the holiday !! The occupational health lady told me about a lady who had had a double mastectomy due to breast cancer, which when she was off with they paid her but 18 months later when she had reconstructive surgery they didnt pay her cause they classed that as elective surgery, the worlds gone mad !!

My company is Warrington borough council,so its not just a small company, they have also said that when my 2 weeks is up i can have longer if needs be but the week after the 3rd week is half term and if i dont come back before then i wont get paid for the holiday !! The occupational health lady told me about a lady who had had a double mastectomy due to breast cancer, which when she was off with they paid her but 18 months later when she had reconstructive surgery they didnt pay her cause they classed that as elective surgery, the worlds gone mad !!

That's awful!!! How can that be elective surgery!?!??!:mad:

I wore pj's with no problems at all. Mind you I didn't have a catheter. I used protein powders in the early weeks but the majority tasted yuk so soon gave them up! You can add skimmed milk powder to soups, coffee etc too. If you are eating enough protein you won't necessarily need extra protein powders.

Good luck with everything,
Cuppa xx

hi firstly good luck. i wore pj's in hospital 1st 2 days had hospital gown on untill catherter out. I wouldn't waste your money on nighty's if you dont wear them at home.
Never had protien powder untill now 4 months post op. Its half price in Holland and Barrats at moment.

All the best

Last edited:
Hi I wore a nightie the girl opposite wore PJ's i think its up to your preference, I wore teh op gown overnight as i wa slate to have my op so only wore nightie for a few hours before getting clothes on and if it wasnt for teh silly nurse bringing another gown that was too small my nighties would have been going back to evans.
I too had teh great Ammori and he has done a fab job x

Back