• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Funding available what happens next

becky2381

Hi im new to this site. After two years of refusals I finally got accepted to Luton and Dunstable I went to see the GP last Thursday and he said I have the funding available, asked me a few questions and sent me for and EGC, I couldnt have bloods taken as the nurse was off but had that done at my local GP and will get them forwarded on. So anyways got another appointment on Friday to see dietitian, physiatrist and nurse just wanted to know if anyone knows will I know on Friday if I get the go ahead or how long will I have to wait.

Hello I'm new too and have no idea to your question but I'm sure someone will be alone very soon to answer your ?
Paula

Hi im new to this site. After two years of refusals I finally got accepted to Luton and Dunstable I went to see the GP last Thursday and he said I have the funding available, asked me a few questions and sent me for and EGC, I couldnt have bloods taken as the nurse was off but had that done at my local GP and will get them forwarded on. So anyways got another appointment on Friday to see dietitian, physiatrist and nurse just wanted to know if anyone knows will I know on Friday if I get the go ahead or how long will I have to wait.

I dont have the answers your looking for as I wasnt a patient at L & D but just wanted to say congrats on getting the funding. x x

Hi Paula, have you had your funding approved yet I got told mine was approved last Thursday at my very first meeting. Just so scared they wont get me through to the next stage after my meeting this Friday I really really need this. Has anyone else had a gastric bypass who needs to have IVF and then got told you couldnt have IVF for two years due to the bypass?

Thanks Julie I cant wait to get started x

I think funding is the first real obstacle to overcome .You have done that . Stay focused and dont take no for an answer !!!! Good luck x

well done on getting your funding hope you have a short journey :) xx

Well after investigations on here (thank you) rang my PCT who informed me that GP just refers to the bariatric team!!! So I've prepared a sort of report detailing my dieting years (22 of them), included my physical, emotional and psychological well-being, included my motivational factors, and am seeing GP on 29th October where, hopefully, she will refer me!!! My BMI is 46.6 so I fit the NICE guidelines for referral as per CG43!!! There are so many hoops to jump though. I've also had bloods taken last week which I think will say I'm type 2 diabetic and I've struggled with my knees and hips for over 4 years and think its probably arthritis and may need an op. I have an extremely high pain threshold like most woman!!!! ;/) I'm so pleased you're into the next stage though, closer and closer. How long did funding take for you?
Paula

Hello Becky2381 I am at L and D and for me it went like this, Had funding agreed before first appointment with hospital. First appointment was with medical doctor who took full history and filled in a million forms.
2nd visit I had dietitian and psychologist. It was at this appointment I was set the lose 5% of your weight on the milk diet in a month, so an appointment a month later to see how that went.
That was quite a tough target but I did it. The next appointment was with the dietician and she said all that had happened was fine and that she would refer me onto the surgeon and knock out doctor (can't spell his true title!!)
Next was a heart scan, more dietitian and eventually cleared for take off I saw the surgeon.
I think I had around 6 different appointments over the space of five months, my op was six months from the first appointment (although would have been five if I had been able to accept the first date offered!!)

Good luck I have been very pleased with the treatment I received and I am still receiving. They are brilliant kind people.

Hi Lyzzyanne

Yes I believe my funding was approved before my first appoitnment as well which was last week. It has taken two years to finally get a referral. I have my second appointment on Friday so hopefully they will also make me do the 5% milk diet. I got told I wouldnt get this appointment until Dec but they have just opened a new clinic so I could of even gone as early as today but sadly couldnt get the time off work. I cant wait just want it to be over and done with now, I know it is not a quick fix and it amazes me how many friends and family try to talk you out of it but no one really knows how you feel and how it affects you unless you are the same. Thanks every one for your kind words and support I will keep you posted and update you how Friday goes.

hi i am at L'n'D too. if everything goes okay at appts you will be have the op quite quickly. i have type two diabetes which has not been unstable over past few weeks so i have a three month delay. i was upset at the time but that time will soon pass. i am hoping to have op after xmas. like you, need it to help me get lose the weight. as they say to you its only a tool to aid weightloss and not a magic pill. good luck.

Angela

good luck for friday

i was refused funding
but was told if approved op can be in about 3 mths after funding

kay

Last edited:
im in the same boat as u becky, i had my funding finally aproved after a few years of trying.. and thats only coz i reached a BMI of 50.. highest iv been but guess in this case its a blessing.. i have my first apointment with bariatric team in 2 weeks.. i had my bloods done by GP. not sure what to expext. my docs secutary told me that once the balls rolling it all happens pretty fast, they said that one guy had his op with in 3 weeks

I am sure you will be fine. I had everyone including my Doctor trying to put me off, BUT its the best thing I have ever done. So pleased it is helping me!!!

Well the day is nearly upon us. Tomorrow I will see the nurse, dietitian, and physiatrist so hopefully the white coats will not be needed and I will get the stamp that is sain and agreed to allow me to go ahead with the bypass. And all being well from what everyone has said I will have to start the milk diet and loose the 5% I am hoping they can get this all pushed through and carried out before xmas. I will keep you all posted. I am praying as I have made my mind up this is what I want and what I need so many of you have said how much it has changed your lifes and that is really supporting my decision.

Gud luk hun. Doubt ul need it. Let us know how u get on :)

Sent from my sony x10 using WLSurgery

Hi All. Im back from L & D. Seen all three very distressing day getting asked alot of questions that really you dont want to answer. But just to let you all know I have to start the Milk diet on Monday and go back in 4 weeks although couldnt get an appointment so i got 5 weeks to loose just under a stone. Providing I can do that without a problem I will then be put on a maintainer diet and wait for a date for my opp. That is providing that the three people i see today give the go ahead on the opp as one of them seemed very negative which didnt help.

Fingers crossed for you hun good luck with your milk diet xx

Well you are on the way!! I did say there was a lot of questions and forms!!! Which one was negative?? I found the dietician to be the one with loads of obstacles, pointing out how restrictive and life changing it all was going to be.

Back